ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

https://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/roster/season/2022-23/
Pavlisko doesn't show up on the new roster.
We'll need some newcomers to really step up; as well as a few coming off of injury!
Refresh my memory. I know the expectations were all world for the freshman Canadian we lost, but what about the rest of the newcomers. The team took some serious hits but I am glad Robbins (my favorite) and Olson are back.

Reactions: charliemims
I do not know enough about the other newcomers to intelligently comment. I'm hopeful.

Does anyone know what Pavlisko is doing (transfer? Pro?)? I have also not seen anything reported on a pro signing for Madril. Never thought that back line would lose so much at the end of last year. Will miss watching them play - was looking forward to watching Madril take even more of the spotlight this year. Wish them the best for the future!!
Hard to know who will fill those gaps now, especially since those positions have been subbed so infrequently. Any thoughts?

Well, it will take a bit of time to think thru what the roster reveals.
Certainly a solid group of returnees, including both keepers.
It is understandable if Em Mad moves on. At the end of last season, she and Jaelin were basically playing at a professional level.
Best wishes and good luck to those who have moved on. Thanks for your contributions…

Assuming we play a 4 back line, we have to replace 3 departed starters. (Madril, Carle, Pavlisko).
5 if you include the holding midfield and losing Howell.
We already knew that Pensky was more offensive-minded, but his task defensively just got harder!
We'll see on the field this fall just how good of a coach he is.
IMO making the elite 8 this year would be great. Anything more would be gravy considering the losses!

Coach K was the most prolific recruiter of internationals in the sport. Not going to replace that type of recruiting overnight. But, FSU has built up a good reputation and if our current internationals end up happy with him, then he can leverage that.
A late comment about this post… dang the world just keeps moving on.
FSU has done well with internationals in other sports over the years. Bob Braman in T and F, the golf and tennis programs, Leonard and Sue in basketball, plenty of swimmers of late, etc..,
It seems that the university is well versed in bringing internationals into the fold.

Your lack of insight and appreciation for Mark's international recruiting prowess is disappointing.
Mark over decades established relations with overseas coaches of young soccer talent. He mined those connections for some of the best available. No one did it better in the college soccer coaching ranks.

This is not , "Oh well, we'll just plug someone into his spot and the name FSU will suddenly attract the best international talent". In fact one of the best international talents in many years was at FSU set to start this fall.
Her name is Olivia Smith. I believe she will be an AA sooner rather. She committed to Mark Krikorian and transfer portalled to PSU recently.

Now I support Brian Pensky and hope he can maintain the excellence that Mark established. That said, he doesn't have the same connections, so he's going to have to do it domestically and or through the portal!

None of those other sports were the dominant international recruiting school in the NCAA! FSU soccer under Mark was!

Assuming we play a 4 back line, we have to replace 3 departed starters. (Madril, Carle, Pavlisko).
5 if you include the holding midfield and losing Howell.
We already knew that Pensky was more offensive-minded, but his task defensively just got harder!
We'll see on the field this fall just how good of a coach he is.
IMO making the elite 8 this year would be great. Anything more would be gravy considering the losses!
It looks like Flynn is the only returning CB and only one of the freshmen (Gilchrest) is a defender. I wonder if Pensky is still looking for a defensive transfer. Either that or he’s going to use some midfielders on defense this year. That’s not a big issue for outside backs, but could be some growing pains up the middle.

Coach K had a good run. Time to move on and get over it. Is it too soon yet to see if the new coach is recruiting at the same level as Coach K?

Your lack of insight and appreciation for Mark's international recruiting prowess is disappointing.
Mark over decades established relations with overseas coaches of young soccer talent. He mined those connections for some of the best available. No one did it better in the college soccer coaching ranks.

This is not , "Oh well, we'll just plug someone into his spot and the name FSU will suddenly attract the best international talent". In fact one of the best international talents in many years was at FSU set to start this fall.
Her name is Olivia Smith. I believe she will be an AA sooner rather. She committed to Mark Krikorian and transfer portalled to PSU recently.

Now I support Brian Pensky and hope he can maintain the excellence that Mark established. That said, he doesn't have the same connections, so he's going to have to do it domestically and or through the portal!

None of those other sports were the dominant international recruiting school in the NCAA! FSU soccer under Mark was!
If this is directed at me tom, you are off track. The fact that I mention that FSU has plenty of experience with internationals was in no way meant to throw shade at Mark or to downplay his prowess in that regard.
You may not have noticed that I have consistently praised Krikorian, the players, and staffover his 17 year run.
I was totally blown away with his departure and will miss his leadership, humor, and talents.

Life continues on and I stridently hope that the strong foundation left behind by Mark and those he influenced helps to continue the strong run the Noles have going.

Reactions: nolewreck
It will be an interesting season to watch!
I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

Mark chose to leave. He was offered a more than lucrative contract along with some of the improvements he had been seeking. I appreciate all he did for the program, but in the end he made the decision for the University. Smith is going to a program that hasn't made a College Cup since 2002. Good luck to her.

Mark chose to leave. He was offered a more than lucrative contract along with some of the improvements he had been seeking. I appreciate all he did for the program, but in the end he made the decision for the University. Smith is going to a program that hasn't made a College Cup since 2002. Good luck to her.
Penn State won the national title in 2015.

Reactions: Osceola70
I think Fsu will be fine, still pretty loaded and Pensky is no slouch. Final four is still a very real possibility and I know they are shooting for another tittle. Go Noles!

Reactions: jgking83
Does anyone know what Pavlisko is doing (transfer? Pro?)? I have also not seen anything reported on a pro signing for Madril. Never thought that back line would lose so much at the end of last year. Will miss watching them play - was looking forward to watching Madril take even more of the spotlight this year. Wish them the best for the future!!
Hard to know who will fill those gaps now, especially since those positions have been subbed so infrequently. Any thoughts?
Surgery......

No.NamePos.Ht.Wt.Yr.HometownHigh SchoolOther College
0Olivia Garcia Freshman Las Vegas, Nevada Mother of Divine Grace School
1Cristina RoqueGoalkeeper5'7" Junior Winter Garden, Fla.West Orange High School
2Jenna NighswongerForward/Midfielder5'4" Senior Huntington Beach, Calif.Huntington Beach High School
5Summer Denigan Freshman Union, Kentucky Larry Ryle High School
6Onyi Echegini Senior London, EnglandBexleyheath AcademyMississippi State
7Ran IwaiMidfielder5'3" Junior Mitaka City, Tokyo, JapanFutabaMiraiGakuen
8Lauren FlynnDefender5'6" Junior Arlington, Va.Yorktown High School
9Beata OlssonForward5-5 Junior Enkoping, SwedenCelsiusskolan UppsalaUniversity of Florida
10Jody BrownForward5'3" Junior St. Ann, JamaicaMontverde Academy
12Heather PayneMidfielder/Defender5'7" Senior Ballinasloe, IrelandArdscoil Mhuire Ballinasloe
13LeiLanni NesbethForward/Midfielder Senior St. David's, BermudaBedes Senior School (UK)
15Kaitlyn ZipayMidfielder/Forward Redshirt Sophomore Winter Springs, Fla.Oviedo High School
16Sophia Nguyen Freshman Pensacola, Fla.Pensacola High
17Emma BissellMidfielder5-9 Sophomore Chester, Cheshire, UKThe Catholic School, St. Bede’s
18Maria AlagoaMidfielder5-6 Sophomore Viseu, Portugal Escola Secundaria Alves Martins
19Amelia HortonForward5'3" Sophomore Olathe, Kan.Olathe Northwest
20Heather GilchrestDefender Freshman Colorado
21Olivia Lebdaoui Freshman Panama City Beach, Florida J R Arnold High School
23Mia JustusGoalkeeper5-9 Sophomore Lakewood, OhioIMG Academy
26Clara RobbinsMidfielder5'7" Redshirt Senior Stafford, Va.Colonial Forge
88Melina Descary Freshman Quebec, Canada College Francais Secondaire

New asst coaches are now up on seminoles. Com
Does anyone know anything about the new coaches? Also thought it was surprising that the former coaches waited so long to decide they weren’t staying. Anyone know any details?

This will be an interesting team to follow!
Brian (from video I've seen and reports I've read) is a lot more emotional and fiery than Mark.
I'll be interested to see how the team reacts to him.
Hoping for good things.

So..now that the smoke has cleared: is this roster strong enough to repeat? Is there a better roster in the conference?

IMO UVA and UNC have better rosters, but not by so much that we can't possibly beat them.
If Madril had come back, I'd call it a push.
UVA pushed us last year and that was w/o Rebecca Jarrett, who is back.
UNC is just always so deep and talented bringing in top 5 class after top 5 class.

IMO UVA and UNC have better rosters, but not by so much that we can't possibly beat them.
If Madril had come back, I'd call it a push.
UVA pushed us last year and that was w/o Rebecca Jarrett, who is back.
UNC is just always so deep and talented bringing in top 5 class after top 5 class.
Can't say anything about UVA, but can say that UNCheats was way overrated last year. Do they return to the mean? Or continue to underperform their recruiting rankings?

We'll see! I wouldn't bet against them making a deep run this year!

Before we start the season, I'd like to get some feedback...
Do you think the timing of MK's actions were unfair to his Seniors?
- His last letter in his negotiation indicated that he didn't think he could work for the new AD (when he was announced in December).
- He announces in March that he's leaving, but would stay if the price was right to overcome his AD issues.
- The team is shocked and seemed unaware that this issue was brewing.
- It is now too late for them to enter the draft. Madril could have been a 1st round and several others were listed in mock drafts.
So, if he knew he was unlikely to stay as he mentioned in the letter, did he owe it to those draftable players to let them know that this was a possibility? They stayed for what they thought would be a MK coached team, for a championship run in their final season. And then he ups and leaves because he didn't get enough $ to overcome his problem with Alford? I have less of an issue that he made a decision to leave, but seemed like he could have mentioned it to those it mattered to and were looking at their professional future, since he had a pretty good idea this would happen back in December.
Obviously the team was very supportive of him after his decision, but from my uninformed view from afar, seems like he maybe owed a little more communication to those seniors that initially decided to come back. Thoughts?

Reactions: cnole1
Spent a good amount of time with team today and plan to catch up with Penske tmrw and watch some practice. They’re really confident this year have been in awe at how much Coach Penske has come in and embraced the roster. It’s a really good team yet again that I’m excited to have a chance to call games for on ACCN.

Attachments

• E166165E-7645-453A-80CF-1CD060EA441D.jpeg
    E166165E-7645-453A-80CF-1CD060EA441D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Spent a good amount of time with team today and plan to catch up with Penske tmrw and watch some practice. They’re really confident this year have been in awe at how much Coach Penske has come in and embraced the roster. It’s a really good team yet again that I’m excited to have a chance to call games for on ACCN.
Glad to hear. Any knowledge of how they plan to address the losses on the back line?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT