ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

I’ve been watching all of them, listening to commentators, and I have to say this is the worst in all my many years of watching football, and that’s a longer period of time than some of y’all’ages.

The Mizzou tosu game has looked like an old time b10 game. Big bodies pushing, then Mizzou got a spark.

Meanwhile, in other games, I’m glad Clemson pulled it off.

Kudos toBC. A warm welcome for the vaulted SMU from whatever conference. That game was ridiculous commentary. They were all over SMU until BC started to play. The whole narrative shifted.

Anyway I’m rooting for Mizzou. Their coach stuck up for FSU.

Football Quotebook: Mike Norvell on FSU opt-outs, Brock Glenn at Orange Bowl arrival

FSU arrived in South Florida last night ahead of Saturday's Orange Bowl clash vs. No. 6 Georgia. Upon arrival, Mike Norvell addressed FSU's numerous players who have opted out and confirmed Brock Glenn will be FSU's starting QB with Tate Rodemaker gone.

Henri Crockett making impact through foundation, Orange Bowl committee, boards at FSU

Caught up with FSU linebacker Henri Crockett, who has a foundation that teaches technology essentials in South Florida and is a vice president with the Orange Bowl committee:

Football Column: Opportunities abound for future stars in FSU's unique Orange Bowl

The FSU team that takes the field tomorrow will be very different from the 2023 team.

The silver lining is that it will be a rough-draft version of the 2024 team, giving a number of expected key 2024 contributors a chance to start the offseason strong.

• Poll
How do you feel about college football -vs- 10 years ago?

How do you feel about college football -vs- 10 years ago?

• I'm way more into college football than I was 10 years ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a little more into college football than I was 10 years ago

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I feel the same about college football than I did 10 years ago

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I'm a little less into college football than I was 10 years ago

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I'm way less into college football than I was 10 years ago

Votes: 61 66.3%

My interest has dropped off quite a bit, curious how you all still feel about the game.
Reactions: nolesnoles

Football Recruiting Baker's Dozen: Class of 2025

This list will change. FSU is on all of these players and we will monitor what is going on with each prospect. It is early on and until the summer you really don't even have an idea what the player or coaches on the staff think. They have offered all these players so it will be interesting to see what happens to each of them.

1. RB Deandre Desinor - American Heritage Plantation (5-11, 190): Have been a fan of Deandre when he started as a freshman over at North Broward Prep. He is a difference maker on offense or special teams. You will see him return kicks for touchdowns. He will take punts back for touchdowns. He is very elusive. He is the perfect fit for Mike Norvell offense. FSU has offered. I look for them to be a player for his services.

2. WR Jamie Ffrench - Jacksonville Mandarin (6-2, 175, Committed to Alabama): Ffrench was quite impressive in the state finals. He displays good hands. He runs solid routes. And Ffrench can create big plays. While committed to Alabama, look for FSU to make a major push. His quarterback, Tramell Jones, is committed to FSU.

3. WR Dallas Wilson - Tampa Berkeley Prep (6-3, 180, committed to Oregon): Was not sure what to think of Wilson before the state title games. I think you could argue that outside of Jeremiah Smith no player had a bigger impact on his team winning. Wilson is a game changer. He can play receiver, running back or even defensive back. Urban Meyer always liked players that help lead their teams to championships. This kid fits the bill.

4. OT Ziyare Addison - Sumner (6-5, 270): FSU already landed Solomon Thomas for the 2025 class. Landing Addison would get FSU off to their best start on the OL in the past 20 years. Addison has been on campus and really likes coach Atkins.

5. OG Max Buchanan - Seminole (6-4, 275): If there is anything close to a lock these days, Buchanon is it. He likes FSU, FSU likes them. He is most likely an interior lineman at the next level. FSU has a chance to put together a very good class with guys like Max.

6. DT Myron Charles - Port Charlotte (6-5, 270): Charles will be the most sought after DT in Florida. I first saw him as a freshman and was very impressed. Not long after the entire SEC offered. He has size and is athletic. Myron has been on campus. FSU has a major need for DT.

7. DE Javion Hilson - Cocoa (6-4, 230, committed to Alabama): Hilson unlike McCray stood out in his state title game. Hilson can rush the passer. He reminds me of Dallas Turner, who also is from Florida and went to Bama. FSU will stay on Hilson until next year’s NSD.

8. DE Jalen Wiggins - Tallahassee Rickards, 6-4, 240): When you have a major position of need and they are in your backyards, you better sign the kid. Wiggins is a very good athlete who has played on both sides of the football.

9. LB Elijah Melendez - Osceola (6-2, 225, Committed to Miami): He committed to Miami last week but that should not deter FSU from going after him. Melendez is the best LB to come out of Florida in a while. FSU needs to keep recruiting him. When you have a need at LB, Melendez is a perfect fit.

10. RB Alvin Henderson - Elba (5-10, 180): I know he is from Alabama. You may not want to do it to yourself. Kid is a big time back. FSU has offered and I believe has already gotten a visit from him.

11. LB Zaydrius Rainey-Sale - Spanaway, Wash. (6-2, 220): Sale is one of the top backers in the country. Sale really likes FSU. It would not shock us to see him commit early. He took a visit with a group last summer.

12. CB Ben Hanks - Miami Booker T. Washington (6-2, 165): Hanks is one of the top corners in Florida. Another prospect who has started since the 9th grade. His father went to UF so it will be interesting to see what Hanks does.

13. TE Elyiss Williams - Camden County, Ga. (6-7, 235, committed to Georgia): Williams is the best TE in the country. FSU stole one from Georgia last year in Landen Thomas. Can they do the same this year?

Latson scores 30 points as No. 22 FSU wins ACC opener

FSU sports information:

Sophomore standout Ta’Niya Latson delivered her ninth 30-point performance of her career to lead the hot-shooting and No. 22 Florida State past Georgia Tech 95-80 in an entertaining ACC opener on Friday at the Tucker Center.

In three games played against Georgia Tech, Latson has recorded three 30-point performances. On Friday, she scored exactly 30 points on 12-of-24 shooting while adding five assists and four rebounds.

Latson had plenty of help as well, as junior forward Makayla Timpson had her 19th career double-double with 20 points and 14 rebounds to move into a tie for 10th on the FSU career list with Adut Bulgak (2014-16). Timpson’s 14 boards tie a career high.

Junior guard O’Mariah Gordon was also efficient with 17 points on 8-of-14 shooting, showing off her strong mid-range game while also getting to the bucket consistently. Gordon added seven assists.

FSU (10-3, 1-0 ACC) out-scored a talented Georgia Tech (9-4, 0-1) team in the second half, 52-38, after clinging to a 43-42 lead at the break.

The Seminoles’ racked up 54 points in the paint against the Yellow Jackets, marking a season high. In the second half, FSU shot 52.5 percent and went 50.6 percent (39-of-77) from the floor overall. Georgia Tech shot 43.8 percent (32-of-73) for the game. FSU also edge Georgia Tech on the glass at 41-39.

The first quarter was a great showcase as both teams battled back and forth for the lead, but ultimately Florida State stayed ahead with a score of 23-21 at the end of the first quarter. Latson and Gordon both had six points at the end of the first to lead all scorers to that point.

The second quarter was much like the first, with both teams vying for the lead. However, the Seminoles continued to stay ahead coming out the first half with a first half score of 43-42. Latson once again led the quarter in scoring for the Noles, bringing her first-half total to 14, eight of which came in the second quarter.

The Noles found a good rhythm in the third quarter as they went on to outscore the Yellow Jackets 26-17 to bring the score to 69-59. Latson led the Noles in scoring during the third with nine points, bringing her total to 23. A key 9-0 run helped FSU break away.

FSU would out-score Georgia Tech 26-21 in a fourth quarter where Timpson took over with nine points and six rebounds.

Up next

The Seminoles return home on Sunday when they face Wake Forest at noon in their last game of the 2023 calendar year. Special New Year buttons will be available to fans while supplies last, and fans can stick around for the postgame Sunday Shootaround on the court.

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 3.47.28 PM.png

FSU women's hoops prepares for ACC opener

The FSU women's basketball team (9-3) will play host to Georgia Tech (9-3) on Friday at 2 p.m. in its ACC opener. The game will stream live on ACC Network Extra.

The first 100 fans receive a Let’s Go Noles T-shirt as the Seminoles and Yellow Jackets face off in a rivalry that spans 55 games, with FSU holding a 30-25 series lead.

Florida State looks to once again finish ahead of its ACC preseason predicted order of finish, as it was selected fifth by the league’s Blue Ribbon Panel. Georgia Tech was selected 12th. In coach Brooke Wyckoff’s previous two seasons as head coach, the Seminoles finished fourth in the ACC in 2020-21 (predicted eighth) and tied for fourth in the 2022-23 season (predicted ninth).

The FSU-Georgia Tech rivalry has come in massive swings over the last nine seasons. The Seminoles have won the previous three meetings from 2022-23, while the Yellow Jackets won the prior five matchups from 2020-22. Before that, FSU won five straight in the series from 2015-19.

Sophomore guard Ta’Niya Latson owns eight career 30-point performances, with two of them coming against Georgia Tech (32 at GeorgiaTech on Jan. 1, 2023; 31 at home on Feb. 19, 2023).

FSU enters Friday’s matchup having won 13 of the last 17 ACC openers, including a 92-85 home win last season vs. Miami.

Even though the Seminoles average about 77 possessions per game, they lead the ACC in fewest turnovers per game at 11.5. It’s the ninth-lowest average in the nation.

Latson (35 points at Florida) and Georgia Tech sophomore guard Kara Dunn (39 points vs. Georgia State) own two of the ACC’s top single-game scoring performances this season.
Reactions: NoleLizards

The Orange Bowl Scrimmage Expectations

Our NFL and portal opt out departures are well documented. After reading some recent news about Georgia, I get the sense that their lack of news about their own players was less about being clandestine and more about lack of intel on their end. I get the sense that Georgia has not been certain who is or is not available to play until this week. Several weeks off and no continuity with practice can only mean one thing. This scrimmage will end up being a defensive slugfest with both teams struggling to score.

Akeem Dent decides to opt of Orange Bowl

First and foremost, I would like to thank God for always keeping me motivated, and for the countless blessings I have received. To my coaches and staff, thank you for playing a vital role in the person I have become on and off the field. Thank you for valuable lessons learned during the time spent in this program, and thank you for making this team feel like a family."

To my teammates, this journey was full of accomplishments that no one can take away from us. The energy and effort we brought to the stadium will always be remembered. Most importantly, what we have accomplished as a team will always stay in Florida State Football history."

"Thank you, Florida State! Now it's time for the next chapter in my life, and with that being said, I'm officially declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft."
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT