ADVERTISEMENT

Football FSU DC Adam Fuller agrees to three-year contract extension, raise

FSU defensive coordinator Adam Fuller is reportedly receiving a three-year extension and raise after his FSU defense this season ranked in the top 10 nationally in points allowed, yards per play allowed, sacks, tackles for loss and completion percentage allowed.

Sammie Smith's book of hope a timely Holiday read or gift for Seminole fans

I've known Sammie Smith since he was arguably the state's top prospect back in 1985, which can you believe it was nearly 40 years ago. I've had the pleasure to know him as a player and as an adult and I think his story, his message of hope, is one that resonates with me and others who may be in need of encouragement. The book makes a good Holiday read and may make a difference for somebody on your Holiday shopping list.

Football FSU DE Patrick Payton deletes tweet announcing he would be entering transfer portal

After announcing in a tweet Tuesday night he would be entering the transfer portal, FSU defensive end Patrick Payton has since deleted that tweet.

Offensive Line Next Year (Bless Harris Transfer)

Why are we not bringing back Bless Harris?

Login to view embedded media
Other than Armella, who on our OL is anyone exited to see next season? Is the elephant in the room but our OL sucked again when it mattered, this year.

I presume the following guys will be in line for PT:

Armella
Early
Estes
Charlton

Seen enough of:
Emmanuel
Scott
Jones
Roddick
Smith (how does this guy keep playing every year? Should be riots in the streets)

Harris wasn’t incredible but was considerably better than Scott, Emmanuel, etc

Football My Heisman Trophy vote

This is my third year voting for the Heisman Trophy. With LSU QB Jayden Daniels now announced as the winner, I can reveal who I voted for.

I had Jayden Daniels in 1st place, Oregon QB Bo Nix in 2nd and Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr. in 3rd.

I didn’t vote for Jordan Travis but I may have reconsidered if I had known how much his absence would be used as a talking point to snub FSU. Travis got 8 first-place votes, 19 second-place votes and 23 votes for third place.

Digging a little deeper

Decided to examine how ESPN came to own the broadcast rights for the NY6 bowls. What I found exposes an even more tangled web.

"ESPN Events owns the broadcast rights and is an American multinational sporting event promoter owned by ESPN Inc. It is headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, and shares its operations with SEC Network and formerly with ESPNU. The corporation organizes sporting events for broadcast across the ESPN family of networks, including, most prominently, a group of college football bowl games and in-season college basketballtournaments.

ESPN Events previously operated primarily as a syndicator of college sports broadcasts; the company was founded as Creative Sports, a sports programming syndicator that merged with Don Ohlmeyer's OCC Sports in 1996. After ESPN purchased the merged company, the division was renamed ESPN Regional Television(ERT), which distributed telecasts for syndication on broadcast stations and regional sports networks; these telecasts were also available on the ESPN GamePlan and ESPN Full Court out-of-market sports packages. Most of ERT's broadcasts were presented under the on-air branding ESPN Plus (not to be confused with ESPN+, the current subscription service), but this name was later phased out in favor of dedicated on-air brands for each package, such as SEC Network (later renamed SEC TV as to not be confused with the then-upcoming SEC Network cable channel)."

What is emerging in my mind is ESPN didn't act unilaterally to influence the committee. It worked with their other partner, the NY6 bowls. Those of us who have followed CF for many years know that the various bowl committees have cooperated in placing teams in the major bowls. This was originally done to avoid one school getting multiple offers from different bowls. That led to bowl and conference tie ins to eliminate the problem. But the playoffs disrupt the certainty of who the bowls will host. Nonetheless, The Rose Bowl still wants a B1G v Pac 12 matchup annually. Guess what? they got it. If FSU is #3 and Alabama is #4, they don't get it. The Sugar Bowl always wants the SEC champ. If the rankings stayed as they were on Saturday night, The Sugar gets FSU v Washington. Not what the Chamber of Commerce in Pasadena and New Orleans had in mind. Make the change that occurred overnight last Saturday and poof, just like that, the matches the bowls preferred (OB gets the ACCC who just happens to be Florida State, versus the next highest ranked team, UGa.) magically appear. Peach would not care for UGa as they played there very recently and the CofC always wants a traveling fan base to rent hotel rooms. The Fiesta was always slated to get the leftovers this year.

It appears to me the level of capricious and unethical behaviors goes deeper than just ESPN working with their Charlotte suite mates, the SECN. The Bowl committees were whispering in the committee members ears as well as ESPN's, imo.

In case you haven't see it

Written by ESPN writer David Hale.

“In the olden days, we had a beauty contest. The top team in the nation was decided entirely by the voters.

Then we moved to a better system, one determined in part by computers that at least added some math to the abstract rationalizing while also allowing two teams to decide it on the field.

Then we moved to a four-team playoff, and the whole point was to eliminate the hypotheticals and let a champion be crowned by the actual results on the field. If you won your games, you had a chance to win a national title.

Turns out, all of that was a charade. None of it mattered. The games are pointless. What happens on the field is less important than what a committee thinks might happen in a future matchup.

It is an absolute slap in the face to every player who has ever put on a helmet, laced up cleats and marched onto the field to battle for a victory, because a bunch of folks in a conference room in Texas decided their sacrifice was not as important as the Las Vegas line on a potential playoff matchup.

Yes, Florida State is without starting QB Jordan Travis, meaning it would have to play with a quarterback who wasn't its opening-week starter in order to win a national title, and of course that couldn't happen. After all, only 2014 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama, 2018 Clemson and 2021 Georgia did that. What are the odds that something that's happened 44% of the time would happen again?

And sure, FSU's passing game was a mess in the ACC championship game. No argument there. Funny thing though: FSU won its title game by more than Alabama did. In fact, FSU has won its past two games by more than Alabama has. And since Travis got hurt in Week 12 against North Alabama, the Seminoles have thrown for just 8 fewer yards than Michigan has in that same stretch, but there was no debate about Michigan.

Oh, and this is probably irrelevant in the face of such a poor quarterback performance against Louisville, but there's also the small matter that the QB who started that game, Brock Glenn, wouldn't be the QB starting a playoff game (since Tate Rodemaker would be out of concussion protocol by then).

The committee cared about one stat when making this decision: FSU's 55 passing yards against Louisville.

Here are the stats it ignored: Seven sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 10 passes defended, 189 rushing yards against a stacked box, a 10-point win over a top-15 team with a QB making his first career start.

Let's be real about what happened here: The committee members couldn't leave the SEC out of the playoff. They didn't care that Alabama needed a miracle to avoid a loss to 6-6 Auburn two weeks ago. They didn't care that Georgia's own injuries -- playing with a banged-up Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers -- likely played a large part in why the Tide won Saturday. They didn't care that the ACC has a winning record, head-to-head, against the SEC this season. They didn't care that Alabama beat 2023 Georgia, not 2021 or 2022 Georgia. They cared that Alabama and the SEC had to have a spot in the playoff by birthright. And as a result, they sent a message that what happened on the field -- the blood, tears and sacrifice that players made all season to win every game on their schedule -- was less important than getting the most compelling TV matchup.

But hey, there'll be a 12-team playoff next year, so all is forgiven, right?"

ESPN now trying to deflect blame? Maybe. But it is still true.

Women's hoops plays No. 2 UCLA in Connecticut

FSU sports information:

No. 20 Florida State Women’s Basketball (7-2) makes its fourth trip to Mohegan Sun Arena as it battles No. 2 UCLA on Sunday at Noon at the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase. The nationally-televised game airs on ESPN2 with FSU Alumna Angel Gray (play-by-play) on the call alongside Rebecca Lobo (color).

FSU played in the arena in 2015 (UConn), 2019 (Michigan) and in 2022 (UConn). Head Coach Brooke Wyckoff makes another return to the arena where she spent three of her nine years in the WNBA, playing for the Connecticut Sun from 2003-05. Wyckoff is especially remembered for her buzzer-beating 3-point field goal in game two of the 2005 WNBA Finals that sent the game to overtime against the Sacramento Monarchs.

The Seminoles are looking to tie for their highest-ranked win in program history against second-ranked UCLA (8-0). FSU defeated No. 2 Duke at home, 80-74, on Feb. 4, 2004, and also defeated No. 2 Louisville on the road, 50-49, on Jan. 21, 2018.

UCLA Head Coach Cori Close spent seven successful seasons as an Associate Head Coach at Florida State under the guidance of Sue Semrau from 2004-11. Close was part of the program’s first NCAA Sweet 16 team (2006-07), the first NCAA Elite Eight team (2009-10) as well as two ACC co-championship teams in 2008-09 and 2009-10.

The Bruins are already the sixth Power 5 opponent FSU has played this season in what is an aggressive non-conference schedule. FSU is 3-2 this year against Power 5 teams, with wins over then-No. 11 Tennessee (92-91), Florida (79-75) and Northwestern (90-52).

Junior forward Makayla Timpson ranks seventh nationally in blocks (29) and eighth in double-doubles (5). The other players ranking in the Top 8 in both are Cameron Brink (Stanford), Sedona Prince (TCU) and Kamilla Cardoso (South Carolina).

Timpson ranks fifth on FSU’s career blocked shots list with 129. The record holder is Jacinta Monroe (2006-10) with 301 blocks.

In last year’s visit to Mohegan Sun Arena, Ta’Niya Latson recorded 24 points (9-of-10 from the free throw line) against UConn.

The Seminoles rank 16th nationally averaging 84.6 points per game. FSU tied its season high for points last game in a 99-73 win over Jacksonville. FSU has scored above 75 points in eight of nine games and 80 points or above in six of nine games.

FSU shot a season-best 56.3 percent (36-of-64) from the floor last game against Jacksonville.

Something very cool happened yesterday ☺️

My Father was a USAF Fighter Pilot. His legacy was honored by having a rebuilt F-86 painted like his Korean War vintage F-86.
He shot down two MiG 15s in that airplane and went on to fly 379 combat missions, flying in both Korea and Vietnam. This rebuilt F-86 will fly in air shows across the country.

Login to view embedded media
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT