ADVERTISEMENT

Football Jared Verse, James Rosenberry Jr. named AFCA first-team All-Americans

FSU defensive end Jared Verse and long-snapper James Rosenberry Jr. were both named first-team All-Americans Thursday morning by the AFCA. It's the first time FSU has had multiple first-team All-Americans since 2016.

NIL Doesn’t Seem Like NIL

When the ruling came out that college players could profit from their name, image or likeness, I thought it was a good and fair ruling. Especially given the amount of money that has been injected into the sport by the media conglomerate that also destroyed college football (espn).

But it was my understanding that players could receive compensation when their name, image or likeness was used, such as in a video game…ahem looking at you EA Sports. But it doesn’t appear this is what has happened. Instead, schools, through a third party entity, are simply paying players to come play for them. How does a relatively unknown incoming freshman football player even have any significant value for their NIL. I don’t see t-shirts being sold for some freshman player that is being redshirted his first year, but somehow that freshman gets “paid” to come play at some college.

In my opinion, schools aren’t doing anything except giving money to players to come play at their school. There’s a difference from players now allowed to make money by doing commercials, wearing certain brands of clothing or eyewear, but it seems to me that most of the NIL money is simply given to the player so they will come play at whatever school. Am I wrong about this concerning NIL?

Portal : Recruiting Board 12/11/2023

The portal is very fluid. We will continue to update the board as other players enter the portal. FSU does not have a ton of openings right now so they would have to have some attrition. OT, Pass rush end, DT, LB would be our guess to the main needs for FSU. I see them taking a look at signing a quarterback.

Quarterback

Riley Leonard
- (Duke) -(Offered) 6'4-215-Leonard will be one of the top portal quarterbacks. I watched his first game ever where Louisville was blowing out Duke. Leonard came into the game for coach Cutcliff and went 15-15. He has shown accuracy throwing the football. He was hurt when FSU played Duke. If he gets the right QB coach, Leonard will excel. I expect him to end up at Notre Dame.

DJ Uiagalelei-(Oregon State)-6'4-250-DJ is one of the top quarterbacks in the Transfer portal. He struggled at Clemson because Dabo did not want to build his offense around DJ's skill set. Jonathan Smith at Oregon played to his strengths. He threw for 2638 yards this past season. He had 21 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. DJ is a big kid who would be an ideal fit in MN offense. He also rushed for over 200 yards and had six touchdowns.

Cam Ward-(Washington State) 6'3-225- Ward has a very good arm and is also a good athlete. You put this kid in Mike Norvell's offense and the Seminoles would not miss a beat. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the portal.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Max Brown (UF) (6'2-220) Brown got his first playing time against Missouri. He started against FSU. I saw enough of this kid to think someone is going to develop him into a quality starter.

Grayson McCall - (Coastal Carolina) 6'3-220- McCall would be an interesting QB. Think he is a bigger version of McKenzie Milton. He has thrown for over 10,000 yards and 88 touchdowns.

Will Howard- (Kansas State) 6'5-240 -Strength is running the ball. You could run a lot of the same plays you did with Travis. He is a much bigger player as well. He has a decent arm. He would need some work with the FSU coaches.

Tyler Van Duke - (Miami) 6'3-230 - Van Dyke would be the perfect fit for an Air Raide Offense. Look for a team like Mississippi State to take a chance on him. Not a fit at FSU but have him on board as he is known name.

Dante Moore (UCLA) 6'3-210-Moore is the number one quarterback on the market. He has size, arm strength and is a good athlete. I watched him this year and he made one throw where he looked right, scanned across the middle of the field, took off and ran and before he went across the line of scrimmage, made a perfect throw to his left. He struggled at times but was a true freshman. His upside is Heisman Trophy and winning a National Title.

Comments: The next two weeks will tell us a lot about the FSU quarterback position. Tate is the most likely to start spring football as the starter. Brock Glenn will be the guy but IMHO is still a year away. FSU may need a bridge between this year and the 2025 season. I expect FSU to look at taking a QB. If Dontae Moore out of UCLA hits the portal...FSU needs to take a serious look. Cam Ward out of Washington State is an option but he is going to be courted by everyone.

Running Back

Raheim Sanders-(Arkansas) 6'2-240 -
Sanders was up for the Maxwell Award which is given to the best running back in the country. He started 13 games in 2022 and had over 1400 yards and 10 touchdowns. Sanders comes from Rockledge, Florida. The Sunshine native would be a great back to replace Trey Benson. He has size and speed. If he could lose around 10-15 pounds, we feel that Sanders could have a comeback season in 2024. He would be one of my top choices to play for FSU in 2024.

Trevor Etienne- (UF) 5'9-205- He has yet to enter the portal but there is speculation it will happen. Etienne would be a nice addition to FSU backfield. You would have to think that either Clemson or LSU would also be options. He had 753 yards this year and 8 touchdowns.

Comments: Not a major need but you can't turn away an elite running back. Etienne will be one of the top players on the board. Cal has a back named Jaydn Ott. Watched him last week return a kickoff for a touchdown against UCLA. He has 1260 yards and 11 touchdowns. He would be my number one target it he entered the portal.

Wide Receiver

Deion Burks - (Purdue) 5'11-190-
FSU has some nice big receivers on the roster. They could lose Jakhai Douglas to the portal. They have Van Jacobs on the roster. Burks had 47 receptions for 629 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Beaux Collins-(Clemson) 6'3-210 38 Receptions for 510 yards and 3 touchdowns. He is from LA so it would not surprise me to see this kid end up at UCLA or USC.

Chris Brazzell-(Tulane) 6'5-200 -44 receptions for 711 yards and five touchdowns. He was one of the go-to guys on Tulane's offense. He gives you a replacement for Johnny Wilson.

Comments: FSU is trying to land Jeremiah Smith. If that happens, they won't be looking for a receiver. This is more of a luxury position for FSU this year than a need.

Tight End
Kamari Morales-(North Carolina) 6'2-245 -
Morales is a Tallahassee Lincoln kid. He would be a nice replacement for Bell. He had 24 catches -220 yards and 5 touchdowns in 2021. In 2022 he caught 29 passes for 358 yards and 4 touchdowns. Bell had 39 catches this past season for 503 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Comments: FSU right now has a ton of bodies on the roster. They are bringing in an elite tight end from HS. I doubt they do much in the portal unless it is a situation they can't say no. Right now, there is not one of those types of players in the portal. Bell and Morlock have more eligibility as well.

Offensive Line

Carter Smith-(Indiana) OT-6'5-300
-(Offered) Smith visited FSU. He would be a much-needed upgrade at tackle where FSU has struggled a bit.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Spencer Brown - (Michigan State) OT-6'6-315 - Brown started every game for Michigan State. He has some size and length on the outside. FSU needs some tackles as they have been playing guards on the outside.

Alan Herron (Shorter College) OT-(6'6-310) FSU landed Morlock out of the portal last year. Will they dip back into it at Shorter and try and land Herron.

Gerald Christian-Lichtenhan (Colorado) OT-6'10-315 - Colorado offensive line struggled but can this kid be developed at a school like FSU.

Chase Bisontis-(Texas A&M) 6'5-275-Started as a freshman at Texas A&M. Played tackle but probably more of a guard/center at his next stop.

Comments: I would really like to see FSU develop what is already on the roster. They have Lucas Simmons who is a legit OT prospect. They could use a tackle out of the portal. I doubt they spend much time recruiting guards this year out of the portal. I could see them take 1-2 tackles.

Defensive Line

CJ Clark - (NC State) DT-6'3-300-
Clark would be a 6th year player. He had 22 tackles this past season and one sack. He would be more of a depth piece. You can never have enough bodies inside on the DL.

Nate Clifton (Vanderbilt)-12/6/2023- UPDATED.- Clifton has been visited by FSU. He had 30 tackles this past season, 5.5 sacks and had an interception. He was an All-Academic Honor Roll player in 2022. FSU would like to restock their defensive line and players like Clifton can make that happen.

Kyle Kennard- (Georgia Tech) 6’6-220- (Offered by FSU)-Kyle gives you a defensive end with some size and length. He had a decent season with Georgja Tech. Kyle received an offer. The staff is split on his ability.

Chris McCllelan- (Florida) 6’3 -320-(Offered by FSU) he showed some ability for the gators. He would give you a big body that can move. Another player who received an offer, and a visit has been set up.

Samuel Okunlola - (Pittsburgh) (Offered)-6'4-250- Had 5 sacks and 6 TFL as a Redshirt Freshman. His brother signed with Miami last year and was a five-star player. Samuel has not received an offer from the Hurricanes. He would be a major get for FSU as they need a pass rusher. He has the size and speed that FSU needs on the edge.

Fadil Diggs (Texas A&M) 6'5-250-Diggs is a big-time talent. You land Diggs and you are talking about a prospect who will most likely be a first round pick down the road. Started at Texas A&M.

Deandre Jules - (Pittsburgh) 6'3-310 -Another 6th year player. FSU loses Lovett, Briggs in the middle and most likely Jackson. He had 24 tackles, 7.5 TFL and two sacks and a forced fumble.

RJ Oben - (Duke) (Committed to Duke) 12/11/2023 6'3-260- Oben has one year left. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl. He is considering playing another year of college football. He had five sacks this season. Oben is an option for FSU. He would provide a pass rusher to a team that is losing Verse this offseason. Pat Payton could also leave.

Aneas Peebles-(Duke) DT-6'1-290 - 40 Tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks. He would be a nice get for a team that needs some players at DT.

Comments: FSU needs a pass rush end and a big, bodied DT. I expect them to take 2-3 guys out of the portal. They are going to have a ton of attrition this year....You got to restock the roster...

Linebacker

Brandon Geroge
-(Pittsburgh) 6'3-245- - 6th year player. He had 49 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one sack and an interception. 296 snaps this past season. He would be a one-year rental but with the loss of Deloach and Bethune, FSU could use some experience in the room.

Bangally Umar Kamara-(Pittsburgh) 6'2-230-In 2022 he played in all 13 games. He had 49 tackles, three TFL and one sack and one interception. He has had a nice career at Pitt.

Comments: FSU loses Bethune and Deloach. I expect them to look at signing at least one player out of the portal. This may be the position that needs the upgrade the most.

Deshawn Pace-(Cincinnati)6'2-215 -He led the bearcats in tackles. 42 tackles, one FF, I interception.

Xavian Sorey-(Georgia) 6'3-215-Sorey had 15 tackles and 1 sack this past season. He has been at UGA for three seasons. He has not been very productive. FSU would be taking a flyer on a former four-star prospect from Graceville, Florida.

EJ Lightsey-(Georgia) 6'2-225 (Freshman) FSU recruited him out of HS. EJ decided to go to UGA. He is a prospect we really liked. Very athletic and could run.

Safety

Kamari Wilson - (Florida) (6'0-200)
Wilson almost came to FSU last year. He flirted with the portal in 2023. FSU may take another look at him, but it would probably be as a linebacker. He has not lived up to his hype coming out of HS.

Phillip Dunnam (Indiana) (6'1-190) Dunnam started as a freshman at Indiana. He is from North Miami Beach HS. I was a big fan of his coming out of HS. He would provide some immediate help at safety. FSU loses Akeem Dent. They are bringing in the top safety in the country out of HS this year, but Phillip would be a nice addition.

Comments: FSU has some young talent coming in. Do you want to start freshman? Dunnam would give FSU a Florida player and someone with experience. He also has been very productive.

Cornerback

Comments:
Right now the options are slim out of the portal. That should change over the next couple of weeks.

Portal, NIL $$$, Leverage vs Loyalty

It appears college football keeps changing in a bad way. As I see it, a successful coach (who is paid a boatload of $$$) works very hard to recruit and have NIL pay a bunch of $$$. He develops players into a winning, cohesive unit. The coach may teach character and dedication while improving the player’s skills. Unfortunately the better the coach makes the player, the more $$$ the player can demand to play.

CFP committee, sportscasters and sports networks make it clear - it’s all about the $$$. The player improves and says I love my team and my school BUT I love $$$ more. The “powers that be“ have taught me it’s all about the $$$. If you want me to stay, pay me more $$$. If you don’t believe it’s about the $$$, I’ll announce I’m going into the portal. I can love whomever pays me the most $$$. After all $$$ is the most important matter. College has taught me that.

Signal Facing Collapse After CIA Cuts Funding

I have a friend who will only use a signal app so I use it on occasion. For those looking for something to send anonymously. And encrypted. WhatsApp should be an option but this article states there is a policy change and perhaps they have a back door for the government. But for that matter maybe signal has a back door. I didn't know that it had been funded by the government as had TOR.

Football Recruiting Recruiting Roundup: December Visits (UPDATED 12/11)

Welcome to the 'December Visits' edition of the Recruiting Roundup. (FOR UPDATES SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM)

As we get into December, it's crunch time for the 2024 recruiting cycle. Early signing day this year is on December 20th and Florida State will be hosting recruits on official visits both this weekend and next weekend as they try and put a finishing touch on this year's class. This thread will be updated each week (and throughout the week) as we confirm which recruits and commits will be attending these visits. We we also post a full visitors list when we are given the green light to do so.

The transfer portal OFFICIALLY opened up on Monday morning and we have a Portal Tracker for both incoming and outgoing players. You can find that thread here:
https://floridastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/fsu-transfer-portal-tracker.349251/#post-6211325

Florida State coaches have hit the road to do in-home visits across the country, getting to Four-Star RB Kameron Davis' home in Albany, Georgia yesterday. Special Teams Coach John Papuchis visited Kicker Jake Weinberg's house earlier today and offensive line coach Alex Atkins flew out to California to see Four-star OT Manasse Itete.
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media
Some Florida State commits have already confirmed that they will be taking official visits this weekend, including the aforementioned Weinberg and Three-star LB Jayden Parrish.

Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media
--

A number of Florida State targets from Florida to be playing in a State Title games this weekend in Tallahassee. Four-stars LJ McCray and Zavier Mincey from Mainland (Daytona Beach) will be playing in the 3S title game at 3pm on Thursday. Five-star WR Jeremiah Smith will be playing in his state title game on Thursday.

2025 FSU QB commit Tramell Jones Jr. will be playing in the 4M Title game on Friday.

2024 FSU DB commits Charles Lester and Jamari Howard will be playing in their respective state title games on Saturday as well.

There will be a ton of high school talent from Florida in Tallahassee this weekend and it will be interesting to see who shows up on campus this weekend. The list of recruiting targets include:

2025 WR Jaime Ffrench (Alabama commit)
2025 DB Chris Ewald (Michigan commit)
2025 QB Jershaun Newton
2025 DE Javion Hilson
2025 WR Dallas Gooden

--

2025 TARGET TRACKER:

Login to view embedded media

2025 Four-Star DL Amare Adams committed to Clemson yesterday. Florida State was amongst the final three teams along with the Tigers and South Carolina. The result is not surprising given that Adams is an SC prospect. From what I am hearing, FSU is the runner-up in this recruitment over the Gamecocks.

--

THIS THREAD WILL CONTINUE TO BE UPDATED THROUGHOUT THE WEEK.

Orange Bowl Guarantee ….

The eSECpn has def got a “fix” for this game. Every single one of the sports networks, CFB “gurus” and “experts” all wanted UGA to win! Can you imagine how all those talking heads and love fest for the mighty SEC UGA 3x back to back to back would have been the perfect scenario. Them losing setup the complete and total collapse and forced many to run for cover.

Now, UGA vs FSU in the Orange Bowl is essentially a MUST WIN for eSECpn and countless others. I we beat UGA all of these folks will vanish because the amount of backlash they will get from fans of FSU and countless other fans will be embarrassing. Not to mention it will be the send L for the vaunted SEC teams for the last 2.5 yrs and I don’t believe Texas could beat them nor Bama could again. If you don’t think the “powers” that be isn’t already planning on doing whatever necessary to make sure it happens. Can anyone come up with just 1 good reason how a W can benefit from all these networks and commentators ect?? I know I can think of a million reasons it won’t be good for them if we win!

Football What do FSU's 2023 snap counts, PFF grades say about the program's future?

As we continue to turn the page from FSU's 2023 season to 2024, I examined the Seminoles' 2023 snap counts and how they'll shape the 2024 season with a number of key players expected to be gone.

Reactions: Jeperr6564

Football Recruiting Early signing day preview: ACC

National Signing Day, the biggest day of the recruiting calendar, is next Wednesday and the drama is building for some of the nation's top recruits. Uncommitted prospects are finalizing their plans while some verbally committed players are wondering if they need to rethink their decisions.

This week we take a closer look at the major storylines and important prospects fans need to be following in each conference. Up first is the ACC in this preview by Adam Friedman.

Veteran DT Malcolm Ray says he intends to jump into the transfer portal

Depth gets very thin at DT with Malcolm Ray saying he intends to jump into the portal. But a chance that FSU retains Joshua Farmer, Darrell Jackson, Daniel Lyons, KJ Sampson and hits the portal again

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT