ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Braves Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree that teams are asking way too much right now for players in their prime. Wish we could somehow make a blockbuster move for David Price but not going to happen.
Maybe we will see us at least shuffle the outfield up if BJ slumps again, but he hasn't been terrible. Here's my ideal lineup:
1. LaStella - 2B
2. Andrelton - SS
3. Freeman - 1B
4. Gattis - LF
5. J Upton - RF
6. Heyward - CF
7. Johnson - 3B
8. Bethancourt - C
9. Pitcher

I think it's time to put stock in the young guys. I think there's a shot in making the playoffs but if you look at the braves win streak it was against inferior opponents.
The Braves perennially under perform in post season so why not experiment and see if this provides more of a spark.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by trefeet:
I would agree that teams are asking way too much right now for players in their prime. Wish we could somehow make a blockbuster move for David Price but not going to happen.
Maybe we will see us at least shuffle the outfield up if BJ slumps again, but he hasn't been terrible. Here's my ideal lineup:
1. LaStella - 2B
2. Andrelton - SS
3. Freeman - 1B
4. Gattis - LF
5. J Upton - RF
6. Heyward - CF
7. Johnson - 3B
8. Bethancourt - C
9. Pitcher

I think it's time to put stock in the young guys. I think there's a shot in making the playoffs but if you look at the braves win streak it was against inferior opponents.
The Braves perennially under perform in post season so why not experiment and see if this provides more of a spark.
Gattis is way out of position in the outfield. If one of the catchers of the future is to change positions, I think it will be the more athletic Bethancourt. Jose Peraza will be in the majors before too long to play second. Probably not until 2016 but his speed will give Atlanta something they don't have now.

People need to understand and accept BJ is going to be in the lineup. His contract demands it. He has raised his average nearly 20 pints since moving to the leadoff spot. He's a good centerfielder and the only Brave that's a consistent threat to steal bases right now. It seems some want him to fail.

Originally posted by trefeet:
Uggla suspended today. Fredi won't say why. Why not just release him. We have to pay him to ride the pine anyway.
I read he showed up only an hour before yesterday's game with the Cubs. Very unlike him, but maybe this whole soap opera with him and his struggles has changed him.

I agree. They're eating the contract anyway. Might as well open up a spot on the 25 man roster and at the same time give Uggla a chance to catch on somewhere else.

The big two questions in my opinion are will Freddie and Gattis stay healthy?
Freddie has played all but about three innings. I cannot imagine he will go all year injury free again but one can only hope.
Gattis' back injury could show back up but I hope not. We could sure use his power. We will not be able to go yard so much once we leave Wrigley.

it would have been nice to go into the break on a higher note...played some bad teams and didn't take advantage. 3-5 in the last 8 after coming off a nice streak.

I'm dubious on being able to go ahead of the Nats. They have really come on lately. The mets have played better, but they're the mets, so no real threat there.

The 1st place Braves had just two players play in the All-Star game last night but they did good. Freeman got a hit in his only at-bat and Kimbrel struck out all 3 batters he faced.

Surprised BJ wasn't selected to the team.

Folks running with a tweet from Peter Gammons. May or may not be true. If it is, and you are trying to find a trade partner, wouldn't you try to show the player you're trying to trade in the best light possible? That shouldn't be that difficult a concept.

How's BJ doing? That leadoff position working out nicely?

Worst batting average among Braves starters
Worst on-base % among Braves starters
Worst batting average among leadoff hitters in MLB

Why does he continue to bat leadoff? Don't tell me because of his contract. Uggla had one of those too.

"BJ has shown improvement"

NOT

In his last 7 games, he is batting 4 for 29 (.138) with just 1 RBI and zero stolen bases.

Does that sound like a great option in your lineup? No? How about LEADOFF!

Morons (not you guys).

That's the way to be quiet when he's raising his average nearly twenty points then totally predictably showing back up when he struggles again some. Quality fandom.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
That's the way to be quiet when he's raising his average nearly twenty points then totally predictably showing back up when he struggles again some. Quality fandom.
You're kidding right? Struggles again some? He's been a total disaster for the past 2 years…that's not just "some". You are the one that is predictable by showing up trying to prove me wrong when he gets the occasional hit.

HE IS STILL THE WORST LEADOFF HITTER IN BASEBALL. Even after he's been "raising his average" as you like to celebrate (yeah! he's batting .216). It will go back down.

Dan is gone. BJ should be next. He's sucked ever since the Braves got him, but $$$ talks and they will wait.

Appropos of nothing, but what is up with some of the hats Padre pitchers are wearing. One starter had his at a 45 degree angle, then a relieve yesterday wore one that looked about 3 sizes too large?

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Appropos of nothing, but what is up with some of the hats Padre pitchers are wearing. One starter had his at a 45 degree angle, then a relieve yesterday wore one that looked about 3 sizes too large?
espnapi_dm_140622_mlb_alex_torres_headline_wmain.jpg

San Diego Padres pitcher Alex Torres became on Saturday what we
believe is the first pitcher to wear one of the oversized protective
hats while pitching in a Major League Baseball game.

Torres relieved Tyson Ross and allowed a run while pitching the
eighth inning. The 26-year-old is in his third season in the bigs, but
this is the first time he's worn the cap.

Why might Torres want the extra protection? He was with the Tampa Bay Rays last year when Alex Cobb was hit in the head by a line drive and pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in relief to get the win. Maybe that incident has stuck out in his mind.

"It could save our lives, if someone hits a ball to your head," Torres said after the game via MLB.com. "I get it for free, so I'm just gonna use it to see how it feels."

As expected, Torres was ridiculed by many for the hat. It is huge, it
does look silly, and he does like like a train conductor while wearing
it, but at least he has it on for the right reasons ? safety. So what if
he looks like Super Mario with it on? At least he'll be covered in case
of a comebacker.

"The difference between how this hat and the regular hat feels isn't
much," Torres said. "I tried it before using it in the game, playing
catch. It doesn't feel really bad. It doesn't feel like how it looks on
my head."

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/alex-torres-protective-hat-cap/233358

Originally posted by sconole:
not liking Heyward leaving the game early with a back injury

Braves right fielder Jason
Heyward left the game against the Padres on Monday afternoon because of
lower back soreness, the team said.

The Braves said doctors evaluated Heyward and determined his status is day-to-day.
Heyward
didn't take the field to begin the fourth inning and was replaced by
Ryan Doumit. Heyward had one at-bat during the game, a groundout to
first base in the second inning.

"He came in just before his first
at-bat and said, 'Skip, my back is tightening up on me," Braves manager
Fredi Gonzalez said. "Hopefully tomorrow he wakes up and feels better. I
know the trainer has been working on him since the third inning so
hopefully we get him back in the next couple days."

Heyward is hitting .260 with a .350 on-base percentage, nine home runs, 42 RBI and 12 stolen bases.

ajc.com

SO, the two most popular names thrown around for the Braves at the trade deadline: Miller and Denorfia, are traded elsewhere. The Nationals add a solid SS in Cabrera(he is having a down year though) from the Indians. The Braves, to this point, have done nothing. Sweet.

Originally posted by fsugrad06:
SO, the two most popular names thrown around for the Braves at the trade deadline: Miller and Denorfia, are traded elsewhere. The Nationals add a solid SS in Cabrera(he is having a down year though) from the Indians. The Braves, to this point, have done nothing. Sweet.
I guarantee they bat BJ first tonight. Again. Is it that hard to drop him down so he doesn't get the most at-bats? Every other starter would provide more production.

Braves trade #7 prospect, C Victor Caratini to the Cubs for LHP James Russell and OF/"I can play anywhere really" Emilio Bonifacio

Kershaw gets a 1-2-3 inning with 2 ks and Teheran gives up a run in the first. We're losing 12-0 and Kershaw throws a perfect game, calling it now.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Kershaw gets a 1-2-3 inning with 2 ks and Teheran gives up a run in the first. We're losing 12-0 and Kershaw throws a perfect game, calling it now.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Missed that one. Lost 2-1 with Atlanta actually out hitting the Dodgers. Teheran pitched well enough to win.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Missed that one. Lost 2-1 with Atlanta actually out hitting the Dodgers. Teheran pitched well enough to win.
Yeah, I try to go overly pessimistic to jinx bad performances...almost worked.

Heyward should be back tonight against the Padres. Could've played last night if necessary but there was no reason with Kershaw on the mound. Doumit got two of the Braves nine hits.

Time to right the ship and sweep the Pads!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT