ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Women's softball

I have been somewhat critical of how Lonni has handled Reid this year. I thought she needed more work earlier.
I see now that maybe, just maybe, Lonni knows more than I do (sarcasm) about handling pitchers.
Reid got in some real critical innings against a top notch team on the road. It was very much a post season
atmosphere.
I expect to see her innings creep up as the year goes on.

We have a tendency to play down to our competition. Tonight was no different. The good news is we won!
Allison does not inspire confidence in this fan. She has by far the most walks of anyone on the team, but she does have the 2nd most innings pitched.
51.2 innings pitched 44 Ks and 28 walks.
In 39 innings Reid has 57 Ks and 10 walks.
KS 96 innings 63 Ks and 10 walks.
She needs to get better control to really help us in the post season.

Reactions: thomasojam
We have a tendency to play down to our competition. Tonight was no different. The good news is we won!
Allison does not inspire confidence in this fan. She has by far the most walks of anyone on the team, but she does have the 2nd most innings pitched.
51.2 innings pitched 44 Ks and 28 walks.
In 39 innings Reid has 57 Ks and 10 walks.
KS 96 innings 63 Ks and 10 walks.
She needs to get better control to really help us in the post season
She is a bit inconsistent with her control. Which is not good if you don't have extra good "stuff."

Well we split the double header w/UVA.
I was at the spring football game so I didn't see either game.
I did look at the starts and my concerns relative to making a deep run in the tournament are the same.
I great pitcher. I great reliever.
2 decent pitchers with control problems.
Not a recipe for a deep run.
If Lonni is able to work her magic with this group, it will be incredible
IMO, she needs to hit the portal for 1 or 2 high level pitchers to supplement Reid, Royalty and Balk.
NO disrespect intended, but taking a pitcher who was the 4th pitcher on staff at the previous stop with a 4,8ish ERA is just not gonna get us over the hump.
If we had gotten Kilfoyl in the portal, I'd be feeling pretty good right now.

I did look at the starts and my concerns relative to making a deep run in the tournament are the same.
IMO, she needs to hit the portal for 1 or 2 high level pitchers to supplement Reid, Royalty and Balk.
NO disrespect intended, but taking a pitcher who was the 4th pitcher on staff at the previous stop with a 4,8ish ERA is just not gonna get us over the hump.
I'm wondering what happens to Leonard pitching.I know she got roughed up a few times but, she has also shut down some pretty good teams in the past.

Concur- but we appear to be in the minority

I'm wondering what happens to Leonard pitching.I know she got roughed up a few times but, she has also shut down some pretty good teams in the past.
I think they decided to just let Leo work on offense.

Good question.
Good win tonight.
The umps tight strike zone made the last inning scarier than it should have been.
Kudos to Makenna for coming through in a pressure packed situation.

Good question.
Good win tonight.
The umps tight strike zone made the last inning scarier than it shneed to stay ould have been.
Kudos to Makenna for coming through in a pressure packed situation.

Gutsy win tonight.
This is a really important series for VT to stay near the top in the ACC.
Nice to get game 1 but, need to stay super focused and not let up.
I trust Lonnie but, it seems like we are still a work in progress as far as our batting order.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Why has Dack been replaced by Leonard as DP? She's our biggest threat currently.
I guessing since Emma Lemly is a right handed pitcher, Coacha (you know how she goes with statistics) added Keen ‘s left handed bat at first with Mac’s left handed bat as DH. Dack’s right handed bat was relegated to ph tonight.

What I don’t understand is Mudge still not back at lead off. At least she moved up tonight and played very well.

Reactions: c691027
Why is Harding still at third? She clearly is an E machine there. I know her bat, but she's cost us at least 6 games not fielding cleanly or throwing wildly to first. She's an Outfielder most definitely. With Waycaser not hitting as good recently, move Harding back to RF!. Either we train Ross at 3rd and get the upgrade at the plate or Hartley needs to step up hitting. She is the best fielding 3rd baseman we have. Josie doesn't have to play behind her as much.

Last edited:
Why is Harding still at third? She clearly is an E machine there. I know her bat, but she's cost us at least 6 games not fielding cleanly or throwing wildly to first. She's an Outfielder most definitely. With Waycaser not hitting as good recently, move Harding back to RF!. Either we train Ross at 3rd and get the upgrade at the plate or Hartley needs to step up hitting. She is the best fielding 3rd baseman we have. Josie doesn't have to play behind her as much.
We are still looking for the answer at 3rd. Kind of expected with us being spoiled with Sydney for 4 years.
Harding has an absolute cannon for an arm which helps her out there in certain situations but, just doesn't have the range or reactions quite yet. I don't blame her she is supposed to be in the OF.
Hartley does pretty well at 3rd for the most part. She did have back to back errors against Stetson and was bailed out by bad baserunning. She does need to hit (not for power), just need her to get on base and have productive at bats.
Weisbrook is the same as Hartley. We just need someone who makes the routine plays consistently and hit for average.
Wacaser has been solid both in RF and at the plate so, not sure taking her out is the answer. So, maybe Harding is the answer at 3rd for now.
I feel like this team is still not putting it all together especially at the plate. Hopefully in the next 2 to 3 weeks we can get hot and make a run. We have shown we can play with the best already this year.

Hartley is not much, if any of a defensive upgrade. 5 errors in less games and w/o the bat.
Maybe Ross is an option, or put Flaherty there and have Ross at 2B

Hartley is not much, if any of a defensive upgrade. 5 errors in less games and w/o the bat.
Flarherty has the range and glove. Not sure why she wasn't transitioned to there in the fall?? We need a better hitting infielder that can catch, hit, and throw CONSISTENTLY to first!!

Weisbrook was at 2nd briefly this year and played pretty well.

Flarherty has the range and glove. Not sure why she wasn't transitioned to there in the fall?? We need a better hitting infielder that can catch, hit, and throw CONSISTENTLY to first!!
I'm guessing arm strength is the issue.

Weisbrook at 3B would work defensively. Not so sure offensively.

Agree that we are not good defensively at 3rd, but Waycaser has a higher average than Harding. We need both of those bats in the lineup. Agree again that Hartley is the best option defensively right now at 3rd but even she has had her share of errors, and her bat isn’t close to what Waycaser and Harding are. We we’re so spoiled having Warren then Sherill at 3rd base for almost a decade.

She needs an umpire with a bigger strikeout. Tonight's umpire behind the plate was pretty bad...for both sides.
Great way to battle tonight and put a damper on the Hokie parade. Glad I got to go see them in person and a great atmosphere for a college softball game. The Nole faithful were outnumbered by a lot but, were pretty loud at times especially in the 7th.
I sat behind the FSU dugout and I'm not sure what the deal was with one Hokie fan who came over and started yelling into the end of the dugout after Keen tagged a girl out at 1st base. The people we were sitting with "politely" told him he should go sit back down.
Always great to get to see the ladies play. Go Noles!

I love when the Turds lose.
However they could be trending towards being In the Tallahassee regional.
Could be. When it comes to the post season, we simply need to beat the team(s) in front of us.
Beating the gators would be doubly sweet! Of course, the opposite would be doubly sour:-(

Reactions: waternole
The more I think about this it makes sense. Plus we get her speed with a decent bat!
We got a slick fielding third base player coming(Delong) but it will be 2 years (not next year but the next) . Maybe Beachum can work there until she gets here.

We got a slick fielding third base player coming(Delong) but it will be 2 years (not next year but the next) . Maybe Beachum can work there until she gets here.
Would be nice if Hartley or Weisbrook stepped up at the plate. I think Weisbrook would be ok at 2nd.

Wow! What was Ross thinking??
Not sure. We are super aggressive on the base paths but, that was way too aggresive.
I'm a bit confused at what happened with the play at third with Harding and Kerr. We had this same exact scenario a few weekends ago against UVA where obstruction was called and the runner was awarded 3rd and the other runner went back to 2nd. This time it looked like obstruction was called and Harding was called out and Kerr was awarded 3rd after returning to 2nd.

I'm not sure as to the specifics of the rules, but it may have had something to do with the fact that Jahni actually touched 3rd base and made it impossible for KH to come back to it.
Again, not sure.

I'm not sure as to the specifics of the rules, but it may have had something to do with the fact that Jahni actually touched 3rd base and made it impossible for KH to come back to it.
Again, not sure.
Not sure. Im pretty sure when it happened against UVA both players were standing on 3rd when the play ended and it went to review.

Not sure. Im pretty sure when it happened against UVA both players were standing on 3rd when the play ended and it went to review.
Would love for someone in the know to explain what happened and the rules as they apply.

Would love for someone in the know to explain what happened and the rules as they apply.
I honestly don't know. It looked like the exact same scenario in both instances. If obstruction was called in yesterday's game I dont know how you can call Harding out if she wasn't allowed a path back to 3rd.
The base was definitely blocked more yesterday than it was in the UVA game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT