ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones Season 7, Episode 3: The Queen's Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
Tyrion w/a lot of great dialogue last night.

Jon and Daenarys finally meet...though somewhat underwhelming.

Bran returns home and then creeps Sansa out at the Weirwood tree.

Cersei takes her revenge against Elleria Sand. Poetic.

Littlefinger continues to only have bit parts this season. Disappointing (to me).

Cersei (and Jamie) w/a fantastic battle plan!

Daenarys' forces getting decimated by Euron.

Lady Olenna goes out confessing...like a baller.

Danarys is in a much worse position by the end of the show. She has some of her best fighters tied up in Casterly Rock ,that was mostly abandoned prior, while their support and transport ships completely destroyed and the fall of Highgarden one of her allies. What happens to Jon after they have finished mining the glass?

The episodes are not drawn out like in prior season's. It is pretty incredible how fast the plot is moving. I'm still confused on why not send the dragons to burn down the damn fleet. I know it was hinted that she would need to command them and it would be too big of a risk but still struggling with the logic. It is going to come down to a huge siege still happening at King's Landing and tons of people are going to die.

Reactions: SoddyNole
The episodes are not drawn out like in prior season's. It is pretty incredible how fast the plot is moving. I'm still confused on why not send the dragons to burn down the damn fleet. I know it was hinted that she would need to command them and it would be too big of a risk but still struggling with the logic. It is going to come down to a huge siege still happening at King's Landing and tons of people are going to die.

She has to be present for the dragon's to follow. They were worried about her getting killed in the process. But not accepting this risk has weakened her position quite a bit.

It IS moving incredibly fast now...which is exciting.

Are the Dothraki all now stuck on Dragonstone, or were they on the ships at Casterly Rock too, with the Unsullied? I thought that was the original plan (to send them w/the Unsullied) but I didn't see nor hear about them last night. Otherwise, she has an army of horsemen, stranded on an island (Dragonstone). That's not good.

I'm thinking we see the dragons go on the offensive next episode, one way or the other. What choice does she have? As Jamie points out to Olenna, her other army is the Unsullied, and they're stranded halfway across Westeros, a land that they don't know how to navigate. They're pretty screwed (for the time being).

She won't have to be present once the dragons figure out that Jon is her brother and he rides them into battle
Jon is her nephew not her brother...which would still presumably allow him to ride one. Thinking we may find out Tyrion is the other Targaryan soon too (not a spoiler, just conjecture that sort of makes sense based on fan theories), so he can ride one too...and all three of them then have dragon jockeys.

The episodes are not drawn out like in prior season's. It is pretty incredible how fast the plot is moving.

I think the plot wouldn't feel like it was moving so fast if they didn't draw out the Dany/Jon meeting ("bend the knee" and "no" can only be said so many times), thus relegating the 2 different sieges with associated plot twists into the final 10 minutes.

What good are the dragons if you are not going to use them? And vs ships (wood), that is where they would be best utilized, no?

You would think if Daeryns had scouts all over the place watching for enemy movement, she could jump on a dragon and go wipe out an entire army in a minute. As I watched Jamie walk his troops through the field up to Lady Olenna, all I was thinking was those dragons could wipe out that entire force in a few passes.

Won't Bran tell Jon he is a Targaryan when he sees him shortly? That could mix things up relatively quickly. Is there any reason not to tell him ASAP?

Only what, 9 episodes left, I concur the pace is picking up, it needs to.

I'm excited to see all the debate over the next year on who will be sitting on the Iron throne at the very end.

Loved last nights episode. So many great moments. But it is hard to see the "bad guys" keep getting all the wins again.

How much longer is Dany going to put up with Tyrion's plans failing?

Fire and Ice meet! I kept yelling at Dany....no one cares, shut your face. But they started on the path of a partnership. And I say this every week....STOP LEAVING GHOST OUT OF THIS SHOW.

Sam is going to be the one that saves everyone. Glad Jorah is going to be ok.

RIP Queen of Thorns. She went out like a boss. One of my favorite characters.

Reactions: dmm5157 and cmanole
Also Bran went emotionless 3eyed weirdo pretty fast. Sansa looked very happy thinking Bran was going to be the Lord of Winterfell and Jon was out. That changed fast.
Agreed on Sansa.

Also, minor complaint, but Bran's acting was pretty poor.

Bran: "I'm the 3-eyed Raven."
Sansa: "Ummm...Who the/what is a 3-eyed Raven?"
Bran: "It's hard to explain...now let me sit under this tree a little longer."
Sansa: "OK...bye weirdo."

-SCENE-

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it. Pretty exciting, good plot advancement. I like the way the Lannisters aren't going down without a fight. I like the way that barely an episode ago Jamie was laying out what a weak position they were in, and just like that they are sitting pretty.

It's a slick transition, so that if this ends with a "happy ending" of Dany and Jon winning the kingdom, it will be a big underdog victory. I sometimes rag the show for plot execution, but that's just a good piece of storytelling work all around.

They're really doing a good job taking pieces off the board and moving other pieces into position. To me, this season is nice and tight and is really playing to the strengths of the show, maybe save for a spectacular battle scene.

Also, to give credit, I have criticized the show for not doing great work in developing and showing character arcs all the time, but I have to admit Jon Snow hasn't won me over when I think about the way a few seasons ago I groaned every time he came on screen. It's not like he's my favorite character or anything, but they've managed to make me care and appreciate what he's doing. As much as Tyrion is my favorite character, and is the series' best character arc, you've got a truly great actor making a meal of that part, and the character has a bit of can't-miss appeal. The fact that anyone gives a crap about Jon Snow right now is really pretty amazing.

I liked it. Pretty exciting, good plot advancement. I like the way the Lannisters aren't going down without a fight. I like the way that barely an episode ago Jamie was laying out what a weak position they were in, and just like that they are sitting pretty.

It's a slick transition, so that if this ends with a "happy ending" of Dany and Jon winning the kingdom, it will be a big underdog victory. I sometimes rag the show for plot execution, but that's just a good piece of storytelling work all around.

They're really doing a good job taking pieces off the board and moving other pieces into position. To me, this season is nice and tight and is really playing to the strengths of the show, maybe save for a spectacular battle scene.

Also, to give credit, I have criticized the show for not doing great work in developing and showing character arcs all the time, but I have to admit Jon Snow hasn't won me over when I think about the way a few seasons ago I groaned every time he came on screen. It's not like he's my favorite character or anything, but they've managed to make me care and appreciate what he's doing. As much as Tyrion is my favorite character, and is the series' best character arc, you've got a truly great actor making a meal of that part, and the character has a bit of can't-miss appeal. The fact that anyone gives a crap about Jon Snow right now is really pretty amazing.

Is it me or all the Starks a painfull brooding group of people to watch? While their arcs are interesting, it is just hard to care. I understand the era in this setting and all but this family is the focal point of much of the shows darkness. The Lannisters add so much more entertainment value to the show imo.

Last edited:
Is it me or all the Starks a painfull brooding group of people to watch? I understand the era in this setting and all but this family is the focal point of much of the shows darkness. The Lannisters add so much more entertainment value to the show imo.

Yep. One thing I like is the way the show has kind now kind of slowly and quietly openly admitted the truth that the Starks, or at least the Stark men, are kind of dumb. People in the show aren't afraid to talk about that anymore.

One of the things that's made Jon kind of grow on me, is that he knows it. He knows he's not that smart, or that special. He is brave, and he's got a sense of right and wrong, and that's about it. And he's totally self-aware of that fact. It's an interesting contrast to Ned and Rob, who seemed to have little self-awareness of their limitations, and got pretty easily played.

Jon's not trying to out-think anyone, he knows that's not his game. He's just looking at every situation and trying to decide what the right thing to do it. Maybe it will work for him...it has so far. Except for that getting murdered thing I guess.

Good episode, like everyone else, very pleased to see how fast this season (and last season too) is going. For an example, the trip that Jon Snow took from Winterfell to Dragonstone would have been a 6-7 episode journey if it were moving at the pace of the first 4 season. When he said he was going to Dragstone my first thought was, "great, he'll be tied up on a boat and horse for the remainder of season." Was glad to see that I was wrong.

For the first time maybe ever Danerious came across as entitled and not likeable. I was thinking her and Jon would have hit it off a little better. I also liked how jon wasn't impressed with her resume, he could have cared less, he wasn't there to get in to pissing match.

I like the old Tyrion better, drunk and getting laid all the time while still out smarting everyone. And why do they call him a dwarf now and not emp? Are they trying to be more politically correct?

Bran really sucked, I'm assuming Arya will be home next episode or two, and then Jon by the end of the season.

Good episode all around. Liking the way it is finally moving.

I found this online this morning talking about the Jon Snow introduction by Davos. After the Danny intro Davos should have gone all Ric Flair by saying. "This is Jon Snow! HE'S THE WHITE WALKER-SLAYIN, BASTARD BAD-ASS, YGRITTE-SMASHIN', BOLTON-BASHIN', NEVER-DYIN', STYLIN' & PROFILIN', PRINCE WHO WAS PROMISED! WOO"

Maybe this is something I missed in one of the shows and I understand this story needs to be fully be developed but what exactly is keeping the army of dead from attacking? Everyone else is traveling all over the world, multiple times, with major battles in various cities and what exactly is this impregnable army been up to all this time? You would have thought the would have hit the northern wall by now.

Good episode, like everyone else, very pleased to see how fast this season (and last season too) is going. For an example, the trip that Jon Snow took from Winterfell to Dragonstone would have been a 6-7 episode journey if it were moving at the pace of the first 4 season. When he said he was going to Dragstone my first thought was, "great, he'll be tied up on a boat and horse for the remainder of season." Was glad to see that I was wrong.

For the first time maybe ever Danerious came across as entitled and not likeable. I was thinking her and Jon would have hit it off a little better. I also liked how jon wasn't impressed with her resume, he could have cared less, he wasn't there to get in to pissing match.

I like the old Tyrion better, drunk and getting laid all the time while still out smarting everyone. And why do they call him a dwarf now and not emp? Are they trying to be more politically correct?

Bran really sucked, I'm assuming Arya will be home next episode or two, and then Jon by the end of the season.

Good episode all around. Liking the way it is finally moving.
I agree with all of this except I think Denarys has been unlikable for quite some time now.

Maybe this is something I missed in one of the shows and I understand this story needs to be fully be developed but what exactly is keeping the army of dead from attacking? Everyone else is traveling all over the world, multiple times, with major battles in various cities and what exactly is this impregnable army been up to all this time? You would have thought the would have hit the northern wall by now.
There was a decent article, complete w/a map that showed where the Night King is last week, but I can't find it online anywhere.

Basically, he did a big loop-de-loop, north of the Wall, when they went to Hardhome. That took them far north and they've been tracking back toward the Wall ever since. That scene in episode 1 shows them clearly on the march though, and you'd have to presume it is toward the Wall, and Castle Black.

There was the Hound's vision in the fire that suggests they may be heading for (presumably) Eastwatch-by-the-Sea (where Jon Snow just sent Tormund & the Wildlings) too, so hard to know for sure.

You'd think there would be some sort of epic first line of defense battle coming soon at either Castle Black or Eastwatch.

Time lines are different for different plots, and winter isn't quite there yet.

Reactions: LesClaypool

Good question. After hardhome and then the failed attack on the wall. You would think they would be on the way. But nothing yet.

I wonder if they wind up coming another route other than the wall? I recall some mention of them possibly coming by sea and needing to defend a northern port stronghold or something. That may make more sense, because it sure seems like they could hold that wall and wreak havoc on the white walker/dead if they loaded the top of the wall with archers and dragonglass arrows/bombs.

Also I sort of like the Greyjoy pirate. He's gnarly.

Love the line to Reek "you wouldn't be here if you had"... he needs to go.

Good question. After hardhome and then the failed attack on the wall. You would think they would be on the way. But nothing yet.

I wonder if they wind up coming another route other than the wall? I recall some mention of them possibly coming by sea and needing to defend a northern port stronghold or something. That may make more sense, because it sure seems like they could hold that wall and wreak havoc on the white walker/dead if they loaded the top of the wall with archers and dragonglass arrows/bombs.

Also I sort of like the Greyjoy pirate. He's gnarly.

Love the line to Reek "you wouldn't be here if you had"... he needs to go.
The WW army has not attacked the wall yet.

Imp was used by people who hate Tyrion, as a way to hurt him with words. He is surrounded by people who respect him now.

Time lines are different for different plots, and winter isn't quite there yet.

But it is a wall of ice. Isn't it winter there most of the time? ;)

Another funny this is anyone else catch Jon Snow wearing his winter buffalo robe in the south? No wonder he is so brooding.

Reactions: ericram
But it is a wall of ice. Isn't it winter there most of the time?

Saw this 'Easter Egg' yesterday explaining the situation with the wall. Without anyone noticing, the sea ice is builing up around the wall and will give the white walkers passage around it...

Link

Why didn't Jon look at Danny and say, "you don't believe my zombies? You have dragons, you know, that mythological creature no one has seen or believed in forever. Until now, no one in the north truly believed you had dragons. Besides, I hear you've seen Sorcerer's steel your dragons. That's right, magical people who shouldn't exist but do. Don't come at me with this whole, Zombies can't be real crap."

Why didn't Jon look at Danny and say, "you don't believe my zombies? You have dragons, you know, that mythological creature no one has seen or believed in forever. Until now, no one in the north truly believed you had dragons. Besides, I hear you've seen Sorcerer's steel your dragons. That's right, magical people who shouldn't exist but do. Don't come at me with this whole, Zombies can't be real crap."

No kidding...I was shocked she was so reluctant to believe after all she has been through.

Reactions: cmanole
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but the last 2 have been somewhat of a letdown and wish they'd slow down a little bit. I admit that some of the earlier seasons were slow at certain times, but they were building up a huge, epic story that the show barely touches upon. I wish they'd have the extra 3 episodes this season and the 4 extra next season that they are skipping for whatever reason.
This season feels like it's a littled too rushed and the dialogue and pace contrived. Whole battle scenes with major castles falling go unshown with a few deus ex scenes thrown in for quick and tidy cleanups. I don't need a 3 episode arc of people stuck on a boat or horse, but damnit give me some background scheming or tactical set ups.

It feels like this season is like an older brother who has been building this elaborate and badass lego set for weeks and nearing the final phases, is forced to let the little brother help finish and just absolutely rushes and ruins it to the point where it looks nothing like the original design and no longer recognizable. Hope Im off base.

Reactions: rjw615
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but the last 2 have been somewhat if a letdown and wish they'd slow down a little bit. I admit that some of the earlier seasons were slow a certain times, but they were building up a huge, epic story that the show barely touches upon. I wish they'd have the extra 3 episodes this season and the 4 extra next season that they are skipping for whatever reason.
This season feels like it's a littled too rushed and the dialogue and pace contrived. Whole battle scenes with major castles falling go unshown with a few deus ex scenes thrown in for quick and tidy cleanups. I don't need a 3 episode arc of people stuck on a boat or horse, but damnit give me some background scheming or tactical set ups.

It feels like this season is like the older brother has been building this elaborate and badass lego set for weeks and is forced to let the little brother help finish and just absolutely rushes and ruins it to the point where it looks nothing like the original design and no longer recognizable. Hope Im off base.
I only concur w/your wish for more episodes. Otherwise, I'm thrilled w/how this season is going.

I only concur w/your wish for more episodes. Otherwise, I'm thrilled w/how this season is going.

I could stand a lot more of this and sad it will end soon too. Not only is GOT an intriguing complex tale of many characters at various locations across a large span of geography, it a visual masterpiece. As Jon and co were walking through one of the hallways in that caste the set design was absolutely fantastic. It was so grand in scale and yet so very detailed and all for a 20 second shot. This got me thinking about all the majestic shots this show has given us of all the castles, cities, battlefields and of the landscape over the years. I think the closer we get to the end the more appreciative I have become of how good this show really is and will hate to see its conclusion.

I could stand a lot more of this and sad it will end soon too. Not only is GOT an intriguing complex tale of many characters at various locations across a large span of geography, it a visual masterpiece. As Jon and co were walking through one of the hallways in that caste the set design was absolutely fantastic. It was so grand in scale and yet so very detailed and all for a 20 second shot. This got me thinking about all the majestic shots this show has given us of all the castles, cities, battlefields and of the landscape over the years. I think the closer we get to the end the more appreciative I have become of how good this show really is and will hate to see its conclusion.
It's so wildly popular that (and there have already been multiple stories about this too) there will DEFINITELY spin offs from this story, whether it's the much rumored "Robert's Rebellion" prequel...or perhaps other stories involving Bravos, Volantis, Essos, etc.

I, for one, want to meet Rhaegar, Lyanna, and the Mad King, to name just a few.

And it would be cool to learn more about the White Walkers, Wildlings, Children of the Forest, the Doom of Valaryia, and tons of other people and places that are already in and/or referenced in this story.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but the last 2 have been somewhat of a letdown and wish they'd slow down a little bit. I admit that some of the earlier seasons were slow at certain times, but they were building up a huge, epic story that the show barely touches upon. I wish they'd have the extra 3 episodes this season and the 4 extra next season that they are skipping for whatever reason.

It feels like this season is like an older brother who has been building this elaborate and badass lego set for weeks and nearing the final phases, is forced to let the little brother help finish and just absolutely rushes and ruins it to the point where it looks nothing like the original design and no longer recognizable. Hope Im off base.

I agree with this, but I like it better the way it is now.

If it was moving this fast from season 1, I probably wouldn't be into the show like I am. However, season 4 and 5 were killing me with how drawn out they were. So it's refreshing to me seeing it quicly getting close to winter.

Also, I watched 1-4 on demand, completed it in a few weeks, that could help with the slower moving episodes and season, allows you to move on to the next one and not have to sit for a week hoping that next weeks is better. So that could be playing into it as well.

But I do get what you're saying, I'm just okay with it at this point.

I think there is some truth in this. Game of Thrones really does this big stuff well...visually, but also just in terms of grand strategy...it's cool to have something like last night, where we think all the beats are pretty laid out...and then get swerved right along with Tyrion and Grey Worm. That's literally what GOT does better than anything else on TV...these are massive moving pieces, in terms of kingdoms and armies and everything...the fact that they can keep you on your toes, but STILL make it make sense. It's not just a swerve for no reason.

I do agree with you because think it's a bit of a loss that it is rushed a bit. Because it's literally unparalleled in those areas, it's unfortunate that that it maybe doesn't get all the setup it deserves, and it doesn't have as much time to breathe.

I think that if it could be done all over again, it would really be great if it could all be recalibrated a bit. Think of all the "multi-episode stuck on a boat" parts of the show...how much time was spent playing the same exact thing over and over again...Ramsey and Reek, Cersei and the Sparrow, some of Danaerys' adventures in slaveland, the Courtship of Sam and Gilly, etc...the show was not at it's best when it was trying to be Mad Men with Dragons. The Adventures of Hound and Arya really worked, but that was the exception not the rule. Not that all that stuff needed to be excised in whole, but a tip of the scales away from some of that stuff to give these new developments more room would have been great.

HOWEVER, the entire creative process around this thing was working with such monumental constraints, between unprecedented technical and budget ambitions, the massive scope, to working with established source material, to that source material being unfinished, to regular old business decisions with HBO, etc...I'm sure that a lot of things don't come down to ideal creative decisions. You have to do what you have to do to make all the pieces fit. I don't think it's a perfect show...but the accomplishment, even of making a B or B+ show given their ambition and the task in front of them, is pretty great. So even when I complain about the way the story has been paced (and I certainly have) I still have huge admiration for it.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT