ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones: Season 7, Episode 6 - Beyond the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be the trend in the fantasy space. First Discworld, then Song of Ice and Fire, and now the King Killer series.

I just had a guy convince me to start reading the King Killer series. Is that really the case that he might not finish it?

it feels shallow because it is rushed; it is rushed because there are only 7 episodes this season instead of the traditional 10. Also, there are hardly any new characters to introduce, and few to develop. So we bounce from event to event to event without learning anything about anyone.

Everyone seemed to enjoy Arya's brief visit with those nice Lannister soldiers. Scenes like that one are the casualties of the 7 episode season.

Also, the Night King throws his spear like he's Caitlyn Jenner in '76.....total BS. if he were really that strong he could just walk across the water and bitch-slap Snow, Hound, Giantsbane, and the rest into oblivion.
He also could have picked them off one by one while they were sitting ducks on an island for a few days.

I just had a guy convince me to start reading the King Killer series. Is that really the case that he might not finish it?

It takes him well over 5 years to finish one book. He claims he only has two left, but I'll believe it when he finishes it. I also think he's losing the fire to keep writing it. He's referred to it as slaying Kong. While he enjoys the characters I think he's created such a huge world, with so many characters and storylines, that trying to close them all up is proving extremely difficult to do in a way that he would approve of.

Maybe if he can finish this book and kill off a lot of characters/storylines there he'll have something manageable for a final book, but I don't see it happening. He's almost 70 years old now and doesn't appear to be the most fit man I've ever seen. I'm afraid he's going to go the way The Wheel of Time did and die before he finishes it.

He also could have picked them off one by one while they were sitting ducks on an island for a few days.
The wife and I rewatched the episode last night and I think the answers to why they had chains, why didn't they pick off the group, why there happened to be just one wight after Jon killed the walker and why there was a single party separated from the horde is because it was all part of the Night Kings plan. He needs to get south of the wall and defend himself from Dany's dragons. The solution is a zombie dragon or three. He knew they were coming and set a trap to get the dragons. He knew there were shipping chains in Hardholme from when they fought there last season. It cant be a coincidence that his group of walkers just happened to have exactly 3 ice spears and he was at a good vantage point to pick them off. We know that he has powers similar to Bran's just not to what extent or how those two are connected.

Reactions: kc78
The wife and I rewatched the episode last night and I think the answers to why they had chains, why didn't they pick off the group, why there happened to be just one wight after Jon killed the walker and why there was a single party separated from the horde is because it was all part of the Night Kings plan. He needs to get south of the wall and defend himself from Dany's dragons. The solution is a zombie dragon or three. He knew they were coming and set a trap to get the dragons. He knew there were shipping chains in Hardholme from when they fought there last season. It cant be a coincidence that his group of walkers just happened to have exactly 3 ice spears and he was at a good vantage point to pick them off. We know that he has powers similar to Bran's just not to what extent or how those two are connected.

That's true. They haven't really shown it much in the show as we've primarily seen these characters as more blindly rambling zombies but they're far more than that, at least the white walkers are. The wights may simply be controlled, but the white walkers were a race created by the children of the forest and they're old. So they're likely to be extremely intelligent and capable of thinking in ways that we may not expect. It did seem to me that sending that small group of them into the ravine where Jon was able to attack them was a trap to corner them.

Reactions: FSUSarah

It's taking a really long time. He's pretty young, so I think he finishes it. It just doesn't sound like he's anywhere close right now.

Reactions: speechteach
Read that the chains were already there and visible at the frozen lake prior to the ww's battle. As to the other time warp stuff and dialogue I agree, though the Tormund and Hound were great together.

It's a shame that certain characters have become weak now that Martin is no longer the source material (littlefinger and tyrion). And that they are fumbling along trying to close everything out in what seems like an effort to please the fans, but I was able to enjoy the episode for what it was and thought the action scenes were fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat throughout.

Read that the chains were already there and visible at the frozen lake prior to the ww's battle. As to the other time warp stuff and dialogue I agree, though the Tormund and Hound were great together.

It's a shame that certain characters have become weak now that Martin is no longer the source material (littlefinger and tyrion). And that they are fumbling along trying to close everything out in what seems like an effort to please the fans, but I was able to enjoy the episode for what it was and thought the action scenes were fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat throughout.
Neither here nor there, but the finale is 80 minutes this week. That's a lot of GoT!

Reactions: FSUSarah
Agreed on Littlefinger as the worst storyline, he needs to go immediately, none of it is believable and it would be uber lazy, unnatural writing to kill off Sansa or Arya over the absurdity. None if it fits the feel of series.

I have a feeling Cersei kills Brienne next week and Jamie does nor forgive her. I also don't think Cersei will believe the wyght but I can't figure out the outcome of the gathering.

Seems obvious Daenerys will not make it to the end now which is a little surprising, still hoping she kills Cersei.

Bran is definitely pointless at this point so all of his arc seems like a red herring unless there's a Keyser Soze unveiling.

Agreed on Littlefinger as the worst storyline, he needs to go immediately, none of it is believable and it would be uber lazy, unnatural writing to kill off Sansa or Arya over the absurdity. None if it fits the feel of series.

I have a feeling Cersei kills Brienne next week and Jamie does nor forgive her. I also don't think Cersei will believe the wyght but I can't figure out the outcome of the gathering.

Seems obvious Daenerys will not make it to the end now which is a little surprising, still hoping she kills Cersei.

Bran is definitely pointless at this point so all of his arc seems like a red herring unless there's a Keyser Soze unveiling.

There's a lot of clues that Bran IS the Night King. So that might happen. Remember he can go anywhere in time and space and he was warned you can get "stuck" in a person if you spend too much time there.

That would definitely be interesting as the books are called the A Song of Ice and Fire. And you have one dragonrider who is Targaryen (Fire) and it looks like one other dragrifer who is half Targaryen and half Stark (Ice). So if the Night King rides the dragon and IS Bran Stark then the third dragonrider will be all Ice. Makes for an interesting story if they go that route.

Re-watching Season 1 right now...

100% that the Lannisters tried to kill Bran. Joff and Littlefinger had nothing to do with it. Just wanted to put that discussion that we were having earlier, to bed.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost

Reactions: LesClaypool
Status