ADVERTISEMENT

GoT Season 8 (spoilers)

I use subtitles on most most everything now. I don't have issues with hearing volume as much as being able to understand what they are saying. Any mild to strong accents or mumbling acting styles are killers for me. This seems to have gotten progressively worse with age.

Unfortunately, this hasn't carried over to sports announcers. I just may be cursed.

I use subtitles on most most everything now. I don't have issues with hearing volume as much as being able to understand what they are saying. Any mild to strong accents or mumbling acting styles are killers for me. This seems to have gotten progressively worse with age.

Unfortunately, this hasn't carried over to sports announcers. I just may be cursed.

French and Spanish don't give me issues. German doesn't give me any problems. Hearing Italian just seems to interfere with my ability to concentrate.

French and Spanish don't give me issues. German doesn't give me any problems. Hearing Italian just seems to interfere with my ability to concentrate.
Minor complaint in last to finale. Arya was a scared 7 year old. What? And Cersei scene...
That was a poor episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: nynole1
It will be interesting to see who Varys got those notes to. I assume Sansa will get help from whoever is left and will come to aid Jon vs the new Mad Queen. Better get rid of the dragon first though lol.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see who Varys got those notes to. I assume Sansa with help from whoever is left and will come to aid Jon vs the new Mad Queen. Better get rid of the dragon first though lol.

I assumed it was the note that he burned as the guards were approaching his door. No?

Minor complaint in last to finale. Arya was a scared 7 year old. What? And Cersei scene...
That was a poor episode.
To me its not what happened in this episode and to a larger extent the season. Its how they got there. The writing has been bad, plain and simple. God forbid they develop these massive character swings.

That being said I liked the Hound/Arya scene and the Hound/Mountain fight. I liked the way the drove Dani and Jon apart just felt it needed more deveolpment.

Wasted opportunities for great story so far: Bran, Night King, Dani's desent into madness, the dire wolves, Golden company, Tormond, Jaime and Cersei fulfillment of a prophesy, Varys and his history, Arya and Hounds trip back to Kings landing to name a few.

To me its not what happened in this episode and to a larger extent the season. Its how they got there. The writing has been bad, plain and simple. God forbid they develop these massive character swings.

That being said I liked the Hound/Arya scene and the Hound/Mountain fight. I liked the way the drove Dani and Jon apart just felt it needed more deveolpment.

Wasted opportunities for great story so far: Bran, Night King, Dani's desent into madness, the dire wolves, Golden company, Tormond, Jaime and Cersei fulfillment of a prophesy, Varys and his history, Arya and Hounds trip back to Kings landing to name a few.
I agree they could have easily made this a regular 10 episode season just by developing a few of those characters and stories but at this point it's very clear that they are just in total wrap up mode.

I'm not sure if you were referring to Dany or not, but I do think the writing was on the wall for her "character swing" for a while now. She's really never been a purely good person and has always been quick to kill with no remorse.

I think most viewers were lulled into thinking she was some saint because she freed a bunch of slaves, but even that was very self-serving and convenient for her mission.

Her advisers were really the only people keeping her from full blown crazy on many occasions throughout her journey and now that they are mostly gone she's showing us who she's always been...

I agree they could have easily made this a regular 10 episode season just by developing a few of those characters and stories but at this point it's very clear that they are just in total wrap up mode.

I'm not sure if you were referring to Dany or not, but I do think the writing was on the wall for her "character swing" for a while now. She's really never been a purely good person and has always been quick to kill with no remorse.

I think most viewers were lulled into thinking she was some saint because she freed a bunch of slaves, but even that was very self-serving and convenient for her mission.

Her advisers were really the only people keeping her from full blown crazy on many occasions throughout her journey and now that they are mostly gone she's showing us who she's always been...
To me it always seemed that when she decided to kill people even if it wasnt reasonable she always had a purpose for it. Episode 5 was just carnage and not necessarily of her enemies. To devolve that much needed a little more story to me. I get why she did it but needed to see that process in a few minor acts of insanity before the huge purge.

Reactions: speechteach

I keep seeing this being said about character swings. However, do a YouTube search and many are showing the characters are meeting the prophesies that were told by Melisandre (believed it was Stannis but really it was Jon in her visions) and while Daenerys' walk through the Temple of the Undead etc.

One more show. Too early to say wasted opportunities for Arya, Bran, Daenerys, Jon Snow's dire wolf, Tormond etc. May or may not be over for those.

To me it always seemed that when she decided to kill people even if it wasnt reasonable she always had a purpose for it. Episode 5 was just carnage and not necessarily of her enemies. To devolve that much needed a little more story to me. I get why she did it but needed to see that process in a few minor acts of insanity before the huge purge.
I don't know about "minor acts of insanity" but she definitely showed numerous times that she would do literally whatever it takes to sit on the iron throne. When she realized early in the last episode that she could only accomplish her goal with "fear" she then went on to act accordingly.

I actually thought the bigger character swing was Jamie, he had a super long story arc breaking free of Cersei and then went back to her in a matter of two episodes. I thought his arc would be complete when he went back to King's Landing and killed her, not go back into her loving arms, lol.

I keep seeing this being said about character swings. However, do a YouTube search and many are showing the characters are meeting the prophesies that were told by Melisandre (believed it was Stannis but really it was Jon in her visions) and while Daenerys' walk through the Temple of the Undead etc.

One more show. Too early to say wasted opportunities for Arya, Bran, Daenerys, Jon Snow's dire wolf, Tormond etc. May or may not be over for those.
I did say what happened didnt bother me, its hiw they got there. I hope you are right on some of the storylines. There is a lot to tie up in 1 episode.

I don't know about "minor acts of insanity" but she definitely showed numerous times that she would do literally whatever it takes to sit on the iron throne. When she realized early in the last episode that she could only accomplish her goal with "fear" she then went on to act accordingly.

I actually thought the bigger character swing was Jamie, he had a super long story arc breaking free of Cersei and then went back to her in a matter of two episodes. I thought his arc would be complete when he went back to King's Landing and killed her, not go back into her loving arms, lol.
I agree with Jaime, there was a lot of meat on the bone of his story that we will never hear. Hopefully the last 2 books fill in his story if they are ever published.

I did say what happened didnt bother me, its hiw they got there. I hope you are right on some of the storylines. There is a lot to tie up in 1 episode.

It will be interesting to see how or if they can tie up all story lines. I think they will try. I also read the writers were going to take a day or two before reading Episode 5 reviews since they knew it was going to be difficult for some fans. I am amazed at how they have followed key prophesies that I went back and reviewed. Afterall, they did even respond to what happened to Ed Sheeran's character (burned off his eyelids) that fans were speculating. lol

Last edited:
Cersei's death was just not as rewarding as it should have been.

Like all the terrible people in this series they usually get a worthy death. Not Cersei and that was a disappointment.

Like all the terrible people in this series they usually get a worthy death. Not Cersei and that was a disappointment.
Wasn't the prophesy for Cersie to be strangled by her brother?

Did we ever see any more of Ellaria Sand (below)...I think we last saw her in a cell with her daughter...Cersie poisoned the daughter and Ellaria would be forced to watch her die...and decompose.
rs_1024x759-170724104001-1024-game-of-thrones-Indira-Varma.jpg

Did we ever see any more of Ellaria Sand (below)...I think we last saw her in a cell with her daughter...Cersie poisoned the daughter and Ellaria would be forced to watch her die...and decompose.
rs_1024x759-170724104001-1024-game-of-thrones-Indira-Varma.jpg
They never showed her again after Cersei poisoned the daughter.

Wasted opportunities for great story so far: Bran, Night King, Dani's desent into madness, the dire wolves, Golden company, Tormond, Jaime and Cersei fulfillment of a prophesy, Varys and his history, Arya and Hounds trip back to Kings Landing to name a few.

This basically sums up how I feel, very disappointed as I have said quite a few times already this season.

Let me just say that I NEVER watch trailers, so I am not sure if this has been answered already but are Cersei and Jaime really dead? If so, THATS how you kill them?!?!? There is just no way that is real life...I hope.

Dany actress gets the Razzie from me for her performance the last two episodes, not buying the mad/bad queen from her at all.

Loved the scene with Tyrion and Jamie, by far the best of the episode. Honorable mention for Sir Gregor dispatching Qyburn, that was awesome...fight with Hound was very good as well.

Another poster mentioned there is time left to revisit the Bran storyline, etc., and I hope they do. But will they be able to do it justice in one episode? I have no confidence in this writing team based on what I have seen so far. Hopefully, Martin finishes the books one day and we can see how it was meant to play out.

Wasn't the prophesy for Cersie to be strangled by her brother?

They never added that part to the show from the book. The witch only told her that her children would die. Maybe they thought this would make her death too obvious.

I thought Lena Headey (Cersie) was one of the best actors on the show. She nailed it for 8 seasons and was just as believable when she played both villain and victim. The fact that people were disappointing in the fashion of her demise just goes to show how successful she was at her role.

SNL did a skit a few years ago with the red witch at a dinner party. While being very funny the skit did a good job of identifying just how dark GOT themes are compared to our own world. Which makes me wonder was Cersie a villain in the GOT world? I am not sure she exhibited any different traits from anyone else who was in leadership position?

They never added that part to the show from the book. The witch only told her that her children would die. Maybe they thought this would make her death too obvious.

I thought Lena Headey (Cersie) was one of the best actors on the show. She nailed it for 8 seasons and was just as believable when she played both villain and victim. The fact that people were disappointing in the fashion of her demise just goes to show how successful she was at her role.

SNL did a skit a few years ago with the red witch at a dinner party. While being very funny the skit did a good job of identifying just how dark GOT themes are compared to our own world. Which makes me wonder was Cersie a villain in the GOT world? I am not sure she exhibited any different traits from anyone else who was in leadership position?
At the time when Cersie(as achild)was getting the prophesy from the witch...I wondered if the witch was giving Cersie such a grim prophesy because it was true...or because Cersie was being such a *itch to her she just gave her the dismal prophesy to scare her.

Super Lazy writing. What a mess. Good writing would have shown Danny feeling ambivalent but unhinged - driven to extremes - becoming a monster Despite her best efforts not to be. Instead the show runners take the easy way out and make her into a gleeful mass murderer. Shockingly bad writing.

Agreed, she and Tyrion stole the show from an acting perspective.

Super Lazy writing. What a mess. Good writing would have shown Danny feeling ambivalent but unhinged - driven to extremes - becoming a monster Despite her best efforts not to be. Instead the show runners take the easy way out and make her into a gleeful mass murderer. Shockingly bad writing.
Yep, not sure why so few episodes this season, but I think it's hampered the writing, everything seems rushed. They don't have enough arc time on some of the characters evolving, like Dany and Jamie's turn of heart. I was hoping for more strategy and drama in the last battle scene, it seemed over in no time with no suspense. Unless you want to see the record for human incineration by fire breathing dragon.

Yep, not sure why so few episodes this season, but I think it's hampered the writing, everything seems rushed. They don't have enough arc time on some of the characters evolving, like Dany and Jamie's turn of heart. I was hoping for more strategy and drama in the last battle scene, it seemed over in no time with no suspense. Unless you want to see the record for human incineration by fire breathing dragon.
Its like handing the keys to a Ferrari(Martin) to people who only have their driving permit(Benioff/Weiss). The best thing that can happen to this series is for it to end. That pisses me off, it had been epic until recently.

I was hoping someone would chop off her head and, while it is still screaming, jam it up her worthless twat.

Reactions: ericram
The only question I'm curious about at this point is who will kill Daenerys....I hope it is the Tyrion because Peter Dinklage will bring it off with such anguish. Internal struggles are what made the series so good....in the beginning.

The only question I'm curious about at this point is who will kill Daenerys....I hope it is the Tyrion because Peter Dinklage will bring it off with such anguish. Internal struggles are what made the series so good....in the beginning.
I'd love to see her killer be Tyrion, Sansa or Samwell.

I'd love to see her killer be Tyrion, Sansa or Samwell.
If, early in episode 8/6, Samwell comes to King's Landing then I'm guessing he takes out the crazy blonde. Otherwise Tyrion or John himself. I sure don't know what the repercussions of her death will have on the main players left but...... Just a theory. Then again, I wouldn't put it past her ending up on the iron throne either.......maybe she's pregnant with the next heir.

If, early in episode 8/6, Samwell comes to King's Landing then I'm guessing he takes out the crazy blonde. Otherwise Tyrion or John himself. I sure don't know what the repercussions of her death will have on the main players left but...... Just a theory. Then again, I wouldn't put it past her ending up on the iron throne either.......maybe she's pregnant with the next heir.

If she ends up on the throne, the showrunners/writers are just saying FU to fans who have been loyal for 8 years. I can't see them doing that. She's a dead woman walking. Just a question of who pulls the trigger.

We are all in fear of being disappointed in the ending - that the writers were too cute in hiding their intentions. To me they are enjoying confusing us as to the potential outcome...by creating various incomplete story lines that can lead to any possibility. This ending may go down as inconclusive as the Sopranos and as weird as Lost. The writers thirst for secrecy and surprise may be their undoing. They abandoned the story for drama, when the story was dramatic enough.

There are lots of conflicts to resolve and lots of story lines to conclude. It should end like The Sixth Sense....”ahah - the clues were there all along!” (It is slightly possible to do that with Bran). But not sure.

Reactions: rulli4fsu
Seems like I recall drone footage of the Winterfell set being completely destroyed. People were speculating that it was during the battle with the Night King. Wondering if Dany takes flight and destroys it.

I’ve heard a spoiler from a ‘credible’ source but I think it’s a ploy. HBO leaked episode 5 because nobody would have believed it. Now, that source is looking legit. People are pointing out how accurate they were. Everyone believes it. Now, they’re using that to put out a lot of false information about the ending.

I also think there’s too much money to be made. Just because GOT is ending… it doesn’t mean that several of the characters won’t be back for additional spinoffs in the near future. I got the impression that a lot of the stars of the show made production harder. I wish Hollywood would yank unreasonable actors and replace them with a new one. It would stink, but I’d get over it—quickly! Actually, I’d prefer it to crappy writing and shorter seasons.

Lol at whoever blamed the TV writers for multiple confusing story lines. By book 4 it was such a mess Martin couldn't even fit all the characters in.

Lol at whoever blamed the TV writers for multiple confusing story lines. By book 4 it was such a mess Martin couldn't even fit all the characters in.

Good point. Books 4 and 5 were really one book as the author realized he had too many characters with too many arcs....that may not connect

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT