ADVERTISEMENT

Ichetucknee Springs

swflnole

Seminole Insider
May 16, 2003
cape coral, fl
Has anyone been up to the springs? Looking to go next weekend and wanted to get some opinions on where to stay and things to do around the springs. Appreciate any advice

Reactions: Random_John
I live in the area and go down pretty often. If you’re staying in a hotel, Lake City or Live Oak is the closest.

There’s a handful of campgrounds nearby, some with cabins. Be sure and get there early if you’re going to tube as they limit the amount of people per day and the line to get into the park will back up to 27 by 10am on the weekends.

Best bet is to look into a air bnb, some are really nice right on the river. Be careful tough, some are shanties near the river.

I live in the area and go down pretty often. If you’re staying in a hotel, Lake City or Live Oak is the closest.

There’s a handful of campgrounds nearby, some with cabins. Be sure and get there early if you’re going to tube as they limit the amount of people per day and the line to get into the park will back up to 27 by 10am on the weekends.

Best bet is to look into a air bnb, some are really nice right on the river. Be careful tough, some are shanties near the river.
Appreciate the information. From what I read if you plan on tubing you would start in the middle? If so, when you are done with that are you able to go to the North end and have access to the swimming hole?

Appreciate the information. From what I read if you plan on tubing you would start in the middle? If so, when you are done with that are you able to go to the North end and have access to the swimming hole?
Sounds right but not real sure, I know the north end you can’t tube or kayak

The park is just outside of High Springs. There are some motels there and some in the next town called Alachua which is at the I75 and US 441 exit (399). Lake City and Live Oak are both further. High Springs is a quaint little town so I would suggest staying there. They have a newish brewery everyone likes and a popular restaurant called the Great Outdoors. I don't think it's great but it's good enough if you're staying there. Bev's Restaurant and Bev's Burgers (different spot) are both really good. Five mins down the road in Alachua you have a few more choices (steak house, Italian, Mexican, fast food, etc) that are decent as well. I haven't been to the river in a while but since it's a state park your daily fee should allow you to drive up to the head spring and swim after you are done tubing.

Last edited:
images

IIRC, if you get there early enough you can start at the beginning. They limit the number of people on the river, especially the start.

Drove the church bus over with the youth years ago. On the way back saw a crazy accident right in front of me. An extended cab Ford pickup passed in the emergency lane and spooked (or clipped?) a car when it came back on the road. Led to one car flipping multiple times and the other banging into a bridge guard rail. No real injuries tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT