ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather vs Mcgregor

He didn't say MMA fight, he said with MMA gloves.
Exactly. Floyd would get hammered vs CM in a MMA fight.

Ranger you misread my post big time. MMA rules Floyd would get beat down by much less talented fighters than CM. Was just talking the mma gloves or barehanded with boxing rules still applying.

No expectations of anything interesting. Would definitely not pay for it. FM will have the contract set to benefit him, CM is doing it for the money.
CM has the best shot of being able to get into FM's head tho, better believe he will be talking smack about "I ain't no woman, you better believe I am gonna hit you back." He's grown on me, I hope he wins but don't see it.

Again, I don't like the guy, but facts are facts.
Connor got gassed in a 5 round match, in 12 he's going to be a punching bag.

His last KO was 7 fights ago in 2011. Prior to that, the next one was in 2007. Facts are facts.

Oh, and you can't really compare a 5min x5rd MMA conditioning with a 3min x12rd boxing conditioning. Completely different animals.

Again, I don't like the guy, but facts are facts.
Connor got gassed in a 5 round match, in 12 he's going to be a punching bag.
You might be right.

I'm sticking with my thesis that Mayweather can't knock anyone out. But frankly in this "fight" anything is possible, I suppose.

You might be right.

I'm sticking with my thesis that Mayweather can't knock anyone out. But frankly in this "fight" anything is possible, I suppose.

Maybe it was 10 rounds of chasing FM around and then they got tapped and fell down due to exhaustion. Afterall, they were already behind 90-100.

No expectations of anything interesting. Would definitely not pay for it. FM will have the contract set to benefit him, CM is doing it for the money.
CM has the best shot of being able to get into FM's head tho, better believe he will be talking smack about "I ain't no woman, you better believe I am gonna hit you back." He's grown on me, I hope he wins but don't see it.

All that stuff's been done. CM's not going to have anything new for him on that front.

Oh, and on top of it, Floyd might be doping too. He's got the Las Vegas commission on a string. I guarantee the drug testing will be through USADA, and not VADA, mark my words.

That looks pretty bad. On the other hand, McGregor has, like, two whole months - so he should be fine.

All of the trash-talking up to the fight will be entertaining. The fight itself is going to be pretty bad. Like others, I'm just hoping to see a big train wreck where McGregor snaps and takes Mayweather down, causing a huge in-ring brawl.

That guy fights a full weight class below the contracted weight. And I would absolutely pick him to beat McGregor hands down in a cakewalk. That guys is probably a top-50 type welterweight, and I don't think McGregor would have a chance against him in a boxing match.

If that guy said McGregor was even remotely competitive with him in sparring, I'd take it as McGregor exceeding expectations. I don't even know why he'd have a guy this good in his camp.

They're going to have to sign their sparring partners to non-disclosure agreements, because this will be the same story over and over again.

My mistake; but with FM hand issues I am not so sure smaller gloves is a good thing for him.
It wouldn't be good for him if he got hit, but FM's hits and I believe there would be alot more he lands would also be more damaging. Additionally his hand speed would actually probably be even faster. So I would expect CM to be much bloodier and hurt than what he will have with the bigger gloves.

Exactly. Floyd would get hammered vs CM in a MMA fight.

Ranger you misread my post big time. MMA rules Floyd would get beat down by much less talented fighters than CM. Was just talking the mma gloves or barehanded with boxing rules still applying.

See my response earlier in the thread; corrected myself.

Waiting for the racial undertones to percolate if early PPV returns are not expected....we've seen this movie before, The Grime Reaper Roper beat Irish Terry Conklin.

It wouldn't be good for him if he got hit, but FM's hits and I believe there would be alot more he lands would also be more damaging. Additionally his hand speed would actually probably be even faster. So I would expect CM to be much bloodier and hurt than what he will have with the bigger gloves.

Wasn't speaking about hand speed but FM has hand issues; like injuries and soft hands. The dude has been coddled since they realized this. Lets not think that FM is some bad dude who dominates people; sure he is a good boxer, but in a street fight the dude would get beat up

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Waiting for the racial undertones to percolate if early PPV returns are not expected....we've seen this movie before, The Grime Reaper Roper beat Irish Terry Conklin.

Huh? This is going to get over 4 million PPV buys, strictly due to the clown show leading up to it (ESPN already is on it).

Huh? This is going to get over 4 million PPV buys, strictly due to the clown show leading up to it (ESPN already is on it).

Actually, more reasons than just that. Whoever had the narrative of this needing some random oil guy from the middle east to push this through in a previous therad couldn't be more off.

Actually, more reasons than just that. Whoever had the narrative of this needing some random oil guy from the middle east to push this through in a previous therad couldn't be more off.

Yep, that was me. I didn't think it would happen.

I've seen very little interest or anyone discussing it as a competitive fight. Every time I've heard it mentioned online or on the radio, it's acknowledged that it's not going to be competitive, and will be boring. I don't know how that translates to hype to sell it, but I guess I don't get that.

So I don't know where the buyers come from, if they're not coming from boxing or UFC fan base. I guess theoretically Floyd has a lot of "fans" but I don't know.

I guess eventually some media talking heads will start talking crap about McGregor having a chance, but I just don't get it so far. All I hear from anyone is "It's not going to be competitive, Floyd is going to dominate, it's going to be super boring like every Floyd fight, but you know you got to buy it!" I don't know who they're selling it to and how.

I don't get it. But I don't have a fidget spinner either, so I guess maybe I've just got a mental block about why someone would purchase something that on the very face of it has no value. But good luck to all.

Yep, that was me. I didn't think it would happen.

I've seen very little interest or anyone discussing it as a competitive fight. Every time I've heard it mentioned online or on the radio, it's acknowledged that it's not going to be competitive, and will be boring. I don't know how that translates to hype to sell it, but I guess I don't get that.

So I don't know where the buyers come from, if they're not coming from boxing or UFC fan base. I guess theoretically Floyd has a lot of "fans" but I don't know.

I guess eventually some media talking heads will start talking crap about McGregor having a chance, but I just don't get it so far. All I hear from anyone is "It's not going to be competitive, Floyd is going to dominate, it's going to be super boring like every Floyd fight, but you know you got to buy it!" I don't know who they're selling it to and how.

I don't get it. But I don't have a fidget spinner either, so I guess maybe I've just got a mental block about why someone would purchase something that on the very face of it has no value. But good luck to all.

I think you're missing the ultimate draw of the two top fighters of their respective sport and mashing them together. This has alot of causal fan interest, where it seems you are looking at it from a pure boxing/mma fan point. This will probably have twice the PPV buys that of GGG v Canello.

Also the fight is Aug 26. Unless, you're really into the dog days of baseball there is nothing else going on. As mentioned by another poster, get a handful of pals to throw in 20 bucks, buy some beer, eat some pizza/grill whatever and have fun.

I think you're missing the ultimate draw of the two top fighters of their respective sport and mashing them together. This has alot of causal fan interest, where it seems you are looking at it from a pure boxing/mma fan point. This will probably have twice the PPV buys that of GGG v Canello.

Also the fight is Aug 26. Unless, you're really into the dog days of baseball there is nothing else going on. As mentioned by another poster, get a handful of pals to throw in 20 bucks, buy some beer, eat some pizza/grill whatever and have fun.

Or rent this movie for .99 cents instead:
thegreatwhitehype.jpg

Fully admit I'm missing the ultimate draw. I am no more interested than if they matched Klitchko and whoever led the NHL in penalty minutes.

Or one on one between LeBron and Roy Jones Jr., who fancied himself a basketball player back in the day.

Or, it's more like wanting to see a footrace between Amari Cooper and Alexander Ovechkin and Russell Westbrook and Usain Bolt on an Olympic track using international track and field rules. I don't see the draw in the matchup between the fastest players in their respective sports in that case either.

Surely, my inability to see the appeal clouds my judgement of how obviously successful this will be.

Fully admit I'm missing the ultimate draw. I am no more interested than if they matched Klitchko and whoever led the NHL in penalty minutes.

Or one on one between LeBron and Roy Jones Jr., who fancied himself a basketball player back in the day.

Or, it's more like wanting to see a footrace between Amari Cooper and Alexander Ovechkin and Russell Westbrook and Usain Bolt on an Olympic track using international track and field rules. I don't see the draw in the matchup between the fastest players in their respective sports in that case either.

Surely, my inability to see the appeal clouds my judgement of how obviously successful this will be.

Thing is, in all of those other analogies, there is a 0% chance because we pretty much aren't talking about physical hand-to-hand combat. In this fight, while we all acknowledge it'll probably be boring and non-competitive, there's still that fleeting "OH SH!#" factor that lends enough hope for enough people (and enough hype) that it's kind of a "can't miss" just in case that moment does happen.

Remember what happened when Kumbo Sluce fought some jamoke...this will be worse and more boring.

Thing is, in all of those other analogies, there is a 0% chance because we pretty much aren't talking about physical hand-to-hand combat. In this fight, while we all acknowledge it'll probably be boring and non-competitive, there's still that fleeting "OH SH!#" factor that lends enough hope for enough people (and enough hype) that it's kind of a "can't miss" just in case that moment does happen.

Ok...maybe for some people. For those of us that have watched boxing and Mayweather, that still isn't there. We've seen boxers way, exponentially better than McGregor not come close to challenging him. This is just as much of a 0% chance for almost all of us. And I've yet to see any of the designated hype masters say anything different. WatchESPN has clip after clip of people saying the same thing, and the most they've got in the other direction is Dana White saying "who knows?" and "We didn't make the fight, the fighters made the fight - don't blame me."

But, I believe you. You are living proof that someone still thinks it's worth paying $75 for or whatever, so I'm sure you're not the only one.

PT Barnum and McGregor's agent are counting on folks like you.

Did you see that video that CM's sparring partner put out?

There's no chance here either.

In a somewhat related and possibly game-changing note...Top Rank just inked a deal with ESPN. Pac's next fight will be on ESPN, as will future fights from some of the biggest and best in the sport (Crawford, Lomachenko).

Very, very interesting. Yes, PBC brought their fighters to "free" TV as well in recent years, but that was a buy deal where they flat out bought the time, and it's basically a pyramid scheme that has bilked investors of hundreds of millions of dollars.

This is an actual legit rights deal like other sports...between this and the lower profile Golden Boy deal, ESPN is investing in boxing in a meaningful way.

Now historically, promoters have tended to sign these deals, and then screw their network partners over like crazy, taking the money, sending the networks (who don't know the sport) garbage, reserving the good stuff for HBO/PPV anyway, and running the series' into the ground. Arum has done it himself.

So I'll withhold my unreserved enthusiasm until it plays out...but it could be big.

I used to really enjoy watching Top Ranked Boxing on ESPN, and USA's Friday Night Fights. Lots of very good fighters and up-and-comers on those bills.

Ok...maybe for some people. For those of us that have watched boxing and Mayweather, that still isn't there. We've seen boxers way, exponentially better than McGregor not come close to challenging him. This is just as much of a 0% chance for almost all of us. And I've yet to see any of the designated hype masters say anything different. WatchESPN has clip after clip of people saying the same thing, and the most they've got in the other direction is Dana White saying "who knows?" and "We didn't make the fight, the fighters made the fight - don't blame me."

But, I believe you. You are living proof that someone still thinks it's worth paying $75 for or whatever, so I'm sure you're not the only one.

You asked the intrigued in it. I just answered exactly why (4+ million) people will buy it. That's all. I'm not buying it. I'll probably be at a bar (not even in my hometown) at the time of the event, so I'm sure I'll catch it while drinking a beer that I was going to do regardless on if the fight was on or not.

She would likely beat him IMO and I am not a RR fan. Just her Judo and Submissions skills would be a big problem for FM. FM may be a great boxer but if he misses once she puts him on the ground and it is over for FM. It is not like FM is some proven ba$$$$ that beats people up or has multiple skill sets; yes a great boxer but the second you get put on the ground it is a very different world and if you don't know what you are doing you are screwed. I have sparred with guys that out weighed me by 40 pounds and even had one leg kick me so hard my left leg was useless for a week; but I got him on the ground and once I did I controlled the fight, and I am not even close to a MMA/BJJ expert like in the UFC. What most people don't realize is when someone is controlling your arm/leg/hips etc. you don't think about being aggressive; you think about stopping them from controlling that body part. As they do that you are looking for the 1 mistake that they all make so you can put them to sleep. How do you think Royce Gracie put Ken Shamrock out so many times and what seemed effortless.
I would not be so sure. FM is undefeated vs women.

I used to really enjoy watching Top Ranked Boxing on ESPN, and USA's Friday Night Fights. Lots of very good fighters and up-and-comers on those bills.

Agreed. Big loss to boxing. These two new ESPN series are somewhat of a return to that. We'll see if it takes.

When the PBC finally collapses, things could get very interesting, with a lot of guys coming on the promotional market and needing fights and dates.

Haha. Barring the idea that McGregor is totally sandbagging, McGregor is literally the worst opponent Floyd has faced in 20 years at least.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT