ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding read from world renowned Stanford Epidemiologist

Equally is the number of people who feel he can do nothing right...which is more sad than funny.
It's actually pretty pathetic. Because if the devil himself was touting it and it was working, I'd be extremely thankful and grateful regardless of how I despise him. Some people are so utterly pathetic because of their TDS they can't be grateful for helping their fellow man. Pretty much an angry, sad lot they are.

It's actually pretty pathetic. Because if the devil himself was touting it and it was working, I'd be extremely thankful and grateful regardless of how I despise him. Some people are so utterly pathetic because of their TDS they can't be grateful for helping their fellow man. Pretty much an angry, sad lot they are.
I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that as a one party issue, but if you are then CMON

I'd just quickly like to say there seems to be some slivers of hopeful news. Hospitals here in Jax as well as the other urban centers in the state all have good capacity at the moment. Yesterday was a high number for mortalities, but we were warned that this whole week would be rough.

I have a close friend, who supplies hospitals and knows the head of virtually every significant hospital in the USA. He continually tells me that over half of the hospitals in this country are empty, less traffic than usual. He cites Sweden’s approach as one that the US should have taken. I argue with him about that, but it is hard given his connections.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE="goldmom, post: 5091113, member: 2580"]I'd just quickly like to say there seems to be some slivers of hopeful news. Hospitals here in Jax as well as the other urban centers in the state all have good capacity at the moment. Yesterday was a high number for mortalities, but we were warned that this whole week would be rough.[/QUOTE]

The computer modelers need to be fired. From 2.2 million to 240k to 93k to 80k to 60k.
GIGO

We went from this-

20-0233-equation.jpg

to this -

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9571-1379600441-0.gif

The guy throwing darts won.

I'd just quickly like to say there seems to be some slivers of hopeful news. Hospitals here in Jax as well as the other urban centers in the state all have good capacity at the moment. Yesterday was a high number for mortalities, but we were warned that this whole week would be rough.
Curious
[/QUOTE="goldmom, post: 5091113, member: 2580"]I'd just quickly like to say there seems to be some slivers of hopeful news. Hospitals here in Jax as well as the other urban centers in the state all have good capacity at the moment. Yesterday was a high number for mortalities, but we were warned that this whole week would be rough.

The computer modelers need to be fired. From 2.2 million to 240k to 93k to 80k to 60k.
GIGO[/QUOTE]
Must use the same model that predicts how many hurricanes there will be each year...

Thank you Mrs.Cronkite for the update. ;) And That's The Way It Is! Is Charles Kuralt still on the road? Sliver? That was a very hot movie with Sharon Stone currently on Netflix and Skinamax. Any movie with Sharon Stone in it has my firm attention....:eek:

Other thread locked... Hope this is okay here.strong recommendation to watch.

Last edited:
MJP, docs in NYC have filled out COD's in similar fashion and it was discussed by Dr. Birx I believe on Monday.

Hey...that guy took dart lessons from me at the Hobbit...:eek:
I love playing darts there. I remember one night a woman who kept bypassing the bathroom to apparently find another. Not 100% sure of her alcohol intake or if she was just directionally challenged. What's really funny is watching people miss the entire board repeatedly.

At the end of the day, it’s not about me. It’s not about you.
And it’s most assuredly not about anything or anyone else except the virus.
Let’s stay on topic and we’ll be fine.
Great advice!

Reactions: goldmom
I have a close friend, who supplies hospitals and knows the head of virtually every significant hospital in the USA. He continually tells me that over half of the hospitals in this country are empty, less traffic than usual. He sites Sweden’s approach as one that the US should have taken. I argue with him about that, but it is hard given his connections.
My son is a pretty senior financial guy at UF Shands, and a Doc friend since high school at a major Jax hospital are telling me similar things.

Like Prostate cancer in men...many men have it when they die, even if they didn’t die from it.

I am trying to be optimistic about this Virus. They are projecting the peak in mid may. Flordia is at least 2 0r 3 weeks behind us. You had students on spring break 2 weeks ago in Daytona. Some states dont have stay at home orders. If you do allow the students back. If the players are allowed back. If one player gets the virus on FSU the season is done .Like I said before my girlfriend is a director at a hospital. She's seen first hand , the affects of this. Living in the winstion Salem area. I see it very hard the season happening. It's getting bad in NC. Not even close being over.

I am trying to be optimistic about this Virus. They are projecting the peak in mid may. Flordia is at least 2 0r 3 weeks behind us. You had students on spring break 2 weeks ago in Daytona. Some states dont have stay at home orders. If you do allow the students back. If the players are allowed back. If one player gets the virus on FSU the season is done .Like I said before my girlfriend is a director at a hospital. She's seen first hand , the affects of this. Living in the winstion Salem area. I see it very hard the season happening. It's getting bad in NC. Not even close being over.
I don't doubt it's worse in NC than it was last week, but we have over 200 employees in 6 different NC locations including Greensboro and Winston Salem with no issues right now. That could easily change tomorrow, but everybody is working and doing what they're supposed to do to stay safe.
The peaks for most of our locations are in the mid to late April timeframe as of yesterday's forecasts. Keep the faith man. We'll make it thru.

Reactions: CoveChild
Forecasts and projections and models continue to change and evolve. I personally don't have much faith in the accuracy of these prediction methods but it's all we have to go on right now. Let's get through April and do what we're supposed to do and see where things stand. We have no idea how bad (or not) things are going to get so just take it one day at a time. Protect yourself and your families and hopefully we'll have a season to look forward to.

I have a close friend, who supplies hospitals and knows the head of virtually every significant hospital in the USA. He continually tells me that over half of the hospitals in this country are empty, less traffic than usual. He cites Sweden’s approach as one that the US should have taken. I argue with him about that, but it is hard given his connections.
TGH in Tampa is only at 30% or so capacity with so many procedures being cancelled. Most of the country has plenty of room for a trickle of seriously ill COVID patients. As long as people continue to distance themselves and only go in for serious symptoms for the next week or maybe months we should be able to get through this until a vaccine is ready.

Other thread locked... Hope this is okay here.strong recommendation to watch.

Most likely to justify receipt of needed medical equipment. Just like a government entity spending their entire budget even if not needed because if they don't it will be cut from them.

My son is a pretty senior financial guy at UF Shands, and a Doc friend since high school at a major Jax hospital are telling me similar things.
I don't think that model could work here when you apply it to our number of people. Also the Swedes have a high percentage of population that lives alone and a much lower rate of the younger generation living with the elderly like you see in somewhere like Italy. If it works for them great though but whether it's actually working is very much up for debate still.

From one nc Nole to another, I hear you. Charlotte feels the same. At the very least I don’t see how this isn’t a significantly modified season.

TGH in Tampa is only at 30% or so capacity with so many procedures being cancelled. Most of the country has plenty of room for a trickle of seriously ill COVID patients. As long as people continue to distance themselves and only go in for serious symptoms for the next week or maybe months we should be able to get through this until a vaccine is ready.

Uh...I'm not sure I agree with waiting months for to check into the hospital. If I need to get a colonoscopy, so that I'm sure I don't have colon cancer, yet it's elective, I'm getting the colonoscopy. I'm not waiting months.

But it is entirely possible that I'm misinterpreting your comment (that I bolded).

Uh...I'm not sure I agree with waiting months for to check into the hospital. If I need to get a colonoscopy, so that I'm sure I don't have colon cancer, yet it's elective, I'm getting the colonoscopy. I'm not waiting months.

But it is entirely possible that I'm misinterpreting your comment (that I bolded).
I’m talking about those that are covid positive but have mild symptoms not going to the ER solely because they’re positive.

Got a very sad story. Friend from church has family in NY. His brother, mother, Sister in law all got the virus, and have recovered. His dad now has it, in the hospital. He's 92yo. prob won't make it.

But that (IMO) isn't really the saddest part. This is...

Because no one can visit him in the hospital, he will die alone. His family won't be able to say goodbye to their father. I know the reasoning WHY they can't. But I do not agree with it.

I can tell you now...I'd be permanently scarred for life if I had not been able to say goodbye to my mom or dad before they died. That scarring would have absolutely been passed down in some way/shape/form to my kids, etc.

Absolutely devastating, IMO, to the many many families that this is happening to.

Got a very sad story. Friend from church has family in NY. His brother, mother, Sister in law all got the virus, and have recovered. His dad now has it, in the hospital. He's 92yo. prob won't make it.

Because no one can visit him in the hospital, he will die alone. His family won't be able to say goodbye to their father. I know the reasoning WHY they can't. But I do not agree with it.

I can tell you now...I'd be permanently scarred for life if I had not been able to say goodbye to my mom or dad before they died. That scarring would have absolutely been passed down in some way/shape/form to my kids, etc.

Absolutely devastating, IMO, to the many many families that this is happening to.

I read some stuff a couple of weeks ago about a day in the life of the front line healthcare workers in Italy during this period. One of things that really hit them hard is the loneliness of the people dying. It is an agonizing death anyway and the patents are scared and alone. That is horrific and sad.

Reactions: FSUDoles

This hits home....my mom passed in a skilled nursing facility in late December here in Broward. Mom’s COD was respiratory in nature, presumably before the onset of this nightmare. My 85 year old dad (married 64 years to mom) was living alone during her five months in skilled care...he was coping ok, but that went south about two months ago. Dad has been in a skilled facility during this nightmare and I haven’t seen him in over a month since they are locked down, and I live less than a mile from where he is. On a lighter note, he’s been cleared to get out of there tomorrow at 1 and I’m picking him up and bringing him to our place during this transition, I just hope he’s ok, and we’re ok, since no symptoms allow testing. That said, I’ll take the chance, he can’t wait to get out. It’s all so sad, it really sucks.

The folks I know here in Tampa cant' even SPEAK to their dad. Now, I don't know if that's because the dad is unable to speak, or not. But's just terrible.

I don't know the solution, either, but there's got to be something that can be done.

Reactions: FSUDoles
This hits home....my mom passed in a skilled nursing facility in late December here in Broward. Mom’s COD was respiratory in nature, presumably before the onset of this nightmare. My 85 year old dad (married 64 years to mom) was living alone during her five months in skilled care...he was coping ok, but that went south about two months ago. Dad has been in a skilled facility during this nightmare and I haven’t seen him in over a month since they are locked down, and I live less than a mile from where he is. On a lighter note, he’s been cleared to get out of there tomorrow at 1 and I’m picking him up and bringing him to our place during this transition, I just hope he’s ok, and we’re ok, since no symptoms allow testing. That said, I’ll take the chance, he can’t wait to get out. It’s all so sad, it really sucks.

Very sorry for you loss, and glad you're getting your dad back.

The folks I know here in Tampa cant' even SPEAK to their dad. Now, I don't know if that's because the dad is unable to speak, or not. But's just terrible.

I don't know the solution, either, but there's got to be something that can be done.

That is brutal. I call my dad a few times a day, and they even tried Skype last week which fell short. Intubation/sedation would prevent communication, this is absolutely awful.

Reactions: FreeNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT