ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding read from world renowned Stanford Epidemiologist

Sweden has an 8% death rate and it's number of cases is increasing. Not great, Bob.

Sweden has an 8% death rate and it's number of cases is increasing. Not great, Bob.

Not great on the surface no.

to play devil's advocate, what has the results economically been? How about unemployment there? More just curious. (if the deaths were just a paper death, it's a fascinating experiment on how to manage this...but the deaths aren't paper)

@PopsNole this is from another forum that I participate in. Discussion below is from a Norway vs Sweden comparison, and the results experienced so far. I am copying/pasting....

<<<
First normalize for population.
Then should look at population densities...and not for the entire country.

Norway is only ~5 million people. Sweden is ~10M.

Top Cities is Norway:
1 - Oslo; 500K M people; density at 3500/sq/mi.
2 - Berg; 200K people
3- Trondhan 147K people

Sweden
1 - Stockholm 1.5M; 13,000 people /sq.mi.
2 - Gothenberg 600K
3 - Malmo 300K

(New York CITY has 8.3 M ppl. on 302 sq.mi. = 27,810 density for sake of comparison)

THEN look at age demographics.
We know the Covid19-flu is the hardest on old people ...infections and/or deaths.
Norway has less "old people" at 7.5% of its population being at age 75 y.o. or older than Sweden at 9.2%.
Couple that %stat with the total population number and you get a wider margin.
(Italy is like 11.6% / South Korea is 6.8% ...once again, for comparison)

Normalize all that data above with your "total numbers of deaths" in the Y-axis on that Norway vs Sweden chart then get back to us.

This hits home....my mom passed in a skilled nursing facility in late December here in Broward. Mom’s COD was respiratory in nature, presumably before the onset of this nightmare. My 85 year old dad (married 64 years to mom) was living alone during her five months in skilled care...he was coping ok, but that went south about two months ago. Dad has been in a skilled facility during this nightmare and I haven’t seen him in over a month since they are locked down, and I live less than a mile from where he is. On a lighter note, he’s been cleared to get out of there tomorrow at 1 and I’m picking him up and bringing him to our place during this transition, I just hope he’s ok, and we’re ok, since no symptoms allow testing. That said, I’ll take the chance, he can’t wait to get out. It’s all so sad, it really sucks.
It will do your Dad a world of good to go to your home. We usually take the RV out to Kalifornia to visit my Mom. She is in assisted living and lost my Dad in 2015.
I see a big improvement in her attitude, disposition, and health during the weeks we are out there visiting.
Good luck with your Dad, sorry about your Mom.

It will do your Dad a world of good to go to your home. We usually take the RV out to Kalifornia to visit my Mom. She is in assisted living and lost my Dad in 2015.
I see a big improvement in her attitude, disposition, and health during the weeks we are out there visiting.
Good luck with your Dad, sorry about your Mom.

Thank you...we got him out of there, TG.....settling in today....all good....and thank you for the nice sentiment.
We just FaceTimed with my younger sister in Clearwater....first time she has seen him in a few months....technology is wonderful. Zoom Easter Family Meeting Sunday....

T

Study of over 1000 Coronavirus patents treated with hydroxycloquine and space sees 91.7% complete cure in 10 days

my friend's dad passed away yesterday. Very sad. I think his kidneys started acting up. I am not sure, but I don't think anyone was able to visit him before he passed.

my friend's dad passed away yesterday. Very sad. I think his kidneys started acting up. I am not sure, but I don't think anyone was able to visit him before he passed.

Awful....sorry to hear.

Is that compared to a control group? Because 91.7% isn’t notable if the mortality rate overall is only like 1.5%

It is 91.7% of people already admitted to the hospital, and it is 10 days until they are virus free. It is very significant. The 1.5% is related to the number of positive cases, of which only small percentage need hospitalization.

It is 91.7% of people already admitted to the hospital, and it is 10 days until they are virus free. It is very significant. The 1.5% is related to the number of positive cases, of which only small percentage need hospitalization.
I hope it holds up to more rigorous studies. Sounds like some studies with controls should be wrapping up by end of April.

For what it is worth for those of you preaching that this thing is only as bad as an ordinary flu it is my opinion that you are cherry picking your supporting evidence. To me there appears to be more contradictory evidence then supporting evidence for the optimistic position taken by many on this board. I read the epidemiologist's article. I have read more articles taking a contrary position, that were written by people just as expert in this subject matter. I read one the other day that said if we counted influenza deaths the way we do for this virus we would average 5 to 12 thousand deaths per year. They use algorithms to calculate influenza deaths. This article went on to say that this virus was 44 times worse then normal influenza. Using the fact that hospitals are not overrun with patients does not make any sense to me. Would you all feel better if we had done to the economy what we have done if it did not accomplish anything. The whole point of the mitigating efforts we took was to accomplish not overburdening our healthcare system. The drug that is being touted on this board in the only genuine study has been shown to have a detrimental effect on the outcome of patients. A study claiming 90 percent improvement is not a study. It has no value because you have no idea if that number would be the same, worse or better if no drugs were given. I would say that far more experts are coming out that this virus is every bit as bad as projected and most are calling for more restrictions not less.

For what it is worth for those of you preaching that this thing is only as bad as an ordinary flu it is my opinion that you are cherry picking your supporting evidence. To me there appears to be more contradictory evidence then supporting evidence for the optimistic position taken by many on this board. I read the epidemiologist's article. I have read more articles taking a contrary position, that were written by people just as expert in this subject matter. I read one the other day that said if we counted influenza deaths the way we do for this virus we would average 5 to 12 thousand deaths per year. They use algorithms to calculate influenza deaths. This article went on to say that this virus was 44 times worse then normal influenza. Using the fact that hospitals are not overrun with patients does not make any sense to me. Would you all feel better if we had done to the economy what we have done if it did not accomplish anything. The whole point of the mitigating efforts we took was to accomplish not overburdening our healthcare system. The drug that is being touted on this board in the only genuine study has been shown to have a detrimental effect on the outcome of patients. A study claiming 90 percent improvement is not a study. It has no value because you have no idea if that number would be the same, worse or better if no drugs were given. I would say that far more experts are coming out that this virus is every bit as bad as projected and most are calling for more restrictions not less.
200.gif

tenor.gif

Conflicting data to support opposing views means (to me) that none of us are getting the whole story. Who's fault is that?
It's ours. It's time to raise the roof and let our government know that we want the truth and nothing less. These people work for us and serve at our pleasure.
Usually we'd say "that's nice, but I've got to go to work, let someone else do it" - but now most of us are home and we're watching...and it's obvious there needs to be some transparency, real competence, and truth telling going on.

Conflicting data to support opposing views means (to me) that none of us are getting the whole story. Who's fault is that?
It's ours. It's time to raise the roof and let our government know that we want the truth and nothing less. These people work for us and serve at our pleasure.
Usually we'd say "that's nice, but I've got to go to work, let someone else do it" - but now most of us are home and we're watching...and it's obvious there needs to be some transparency, real competence, and truth telling going on.
If only politicians could tell/recognize the truth

I wish all these elected officials and lifetime scientist/beauraucrats would be fired/not reelected. Sick of the bullspit.

I do not trust a single one of them. How they don't ALL have term limits is a damn shame.

Been a bit, but just want to present the current info about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine. This is not meant to be political at all, just want to see if anyone that was previously a proponent of it has changed their mind https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/franc...xychloroquine-as-covid-19-treatment-1.5586220
I read the report.
I'm sticking right now with that if the Dr and the pt wan't to try the medicine then so be it...obviously like always there is risk/benefit considerations.

Jan 31

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/31...perts-warn-coronavirus-response-would-suffer/

The World Health Organization, which declared the outbreak a global health emergency this week, has recommended against any travel or trade restrictions in response to the outbreak. Member countries, however, do not have to comply with that guidance.

“Although travel restrictions may intuitively seem like the right thing to do, this is not something that WHO usually recommends,” said Tarik Jašarević, a WHO spokesperson. “This is because of the social disruption they cause and the intensive use of resources required,” he added.

I read the report.
I'm sticking right now with that if the Dr and the pt wan't to try the medicine then so be it...obviously like always there is risk/benefit considerations.
Is it your contention that their suspending the usage of the drug is due to something scientific or speculative?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT