ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 26 The WGC Bridgestone Invitational

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
FirstLookFirestone-847-StanBadz.jpg

• Firestone CC (South) plays to a par of 70 and measures approximately 7,400 yards. (Stan Badz/PGA TOUR)

FULL FIELD: WGC-BRIDGESTONE INVITATIONAL

• COURSE: Firestone Country Club (South), 7,400 yards, par 70. Originally a generous perk from Harvey Firestone to employees of his tire company, the club eventually found its own standing as a stern test of golf with three majors to its portfolio before the World Golf Championships set up shop. The South course opened in 1929, later re-made by Robert Trent Jones for the 1960 PGA Championship captured by Jay Hebert. The PGA of America brought its championship back again in 1966 and ’75, by which time Firestone had become home of the World Series of Golf. The event moved under the WGC banner in 1999.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 points.

• CHARITY: The First Tee is the primary beneficiary of World Golf Championships events. Proceeds also were distributed last year to 46 Northeast Ohio charities, including Akron Children’s Hospital, Flashes of Hope and the LeBron James Family Foundation.

• FIELD WATCH: Newly crowned U.S. Open champion Dustin Johnson and World No. 1 Jason Day headline a small list of 59 qualifiers. The field features just 40 of the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking, with No. 4 Rory McIlroy among 10 European Tour pros who opted for the Open de France. … Also among the missing are Masters winner Danny Willett and No. 7 Henrik Stenson. … Spots remain for winners of the Quicken Loans National or BMW International Open on the European Tour, as well as anyone who enters the top 50 in Monday’s rankings. … Recent winners William McGirt (Memorial) and Jim Herman (Shell Houston Open) are among eight men making their World Golf Championships debut. … Vaughn Taylor, winner at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, is playing his first WGC since 2008 at Firestone.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 259, Tiger Woods (2000).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 61, José María Olazábal (1st round, 1990), Tiger Woods (2nd round, 2000 and 2nd round, 2013), Sergio Garcia (2nd round, 2014).

• LAST YEAR: Shane Lowry notched his first victory on U.S. soil, courtesy of an improbable bogey-free 66 that finished off a two-shot win over Bubba Watson. Lowry’s back nine included two key par-saves and a couple of birdies from unlikely places, including a sky-high wedge at No. 10 after a wild hook found him needing a free drop near the 11th tee. The Irish pro saved par after finding a deep fairway bunker at No. 14 and drained a dicey 6-foot par at No. 17 after pulling his approach. After another wayward drive at No. 18, Lowry hammered a wedge through a tree for a 10-foot clinching birdie. Watson also shot 66, but got hard bounces that took away possible birdie chances at Nos. 16 and 18. Lowry, who got into the field at No. 48 in the world ranking, qualified for immediate PGA TOUR membership with the victory.

• STORYLINES: Johnson returns to action for the first time since his triumph at Oakmont, when he shrugged off a penalty query to finally claim an elusive major crown. He already has two WGC titles to his credit, winning the HSBC Champions in 2013 and the Cadillac Championship at Trump Doral last year. … Day, winner of the WGC-Dell Match Play in March, and Adam Scott (WGC-Cadillac) seek to become just the third man to win two WGCs in the same year. Tiger Woods has done it six times; Phil Mickelson won at Doral and China in 2009. … Jordan Spieth seeks an upturn in form after failing to crack the top 35 at the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide and U.S. Open. He has yet to notch a top-5 finish in a WGC event.

• SHORT CHIPS: Lowry and Hunter Mahan (2010) are the only Firestone winners in the past 21 years that don’t also have a major title to their names. That includes the last five editions of the old World Series of Golf. … International players have claimed the past five WGC titles, marking the first time since the series began in 1999 that no American is among the trophy holders. The last U.S. victory came with Johnson’s win at the TPC Blue Monster.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1:30-6:30 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, noon-1:30 p.m. (GC); 2-6 p.m. (CBS).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. (Featured Groups), 2-6:30 p.m. (Featured Holes). Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.COM).

The PGSF arrives at Bridgestone, always a good tournament and what will be an exciting six weeks, with 2 majors, a WGC event and the Olympics

No change in overall standings, DFS still leading the way for another regular season crown

leader%20through%20quicked_zps1e76ukl7.png

good luck to everyone this week

My bad for missing last week...just moved and it's been quite hectic!

Jason Day
Dustin Johnson
Adam Scott
Jordan Spieth

And just saw on Twitter that Koepka WD with an ankle injury. No cut event and still find a way to get 0 points. Of course.

Daniel Berger and Brooks Koepka both withdrew. Smylie is 5 over.

This tournament is not going well at all.

A back or wrist injury I can see. On the other hand ankle injuries are head scratchers. However a caddie did break his ankle at Oakmont by falling in a bunker. Another head scratcher.

Those late nights are tough on golfers.

Jim Furick is 4 over after round 1. So I have 2 golfers WD, one 4 over and the other one 5 over.

At least they finished the 1st round the same day it was scheduled for.

A side note, I see where the players are still ripping the PGA for Dustin's rulling. I am glad that they are keeping the pressure up and rightfully so. I wonder how this will effect their video reviews from here on out.

Here I am following Furick this week (had him last wek) instead of Smylie whom I picked this week. Told you this tournament was not going well for me.

Oh well, don't have to keep up with a lot of scores this week!

Last edited:
Berger hit only his opening tee shot, then withdrew. Since he started the tournament, he gets $50,000 for that one shot. If you figure a typical swing takes about 2 seconds from takeaway to followthrough, his pay rate was $90 million per hour. Not bad.

Reactions: FlamingSpear
Berger hit only his opening tee shot, then withdrew. Since he started the tournament, he gets $50,000 for that one shot. If you figure a typical swing takes about 2 seconds from takeaway to followthrough, his pay rate was $90 million per hour. Not bad.
Figures a bean counter would come up with that. :D

And just saw on Twitter that Koepka WD with an ankle injury. No cut event and still find a way to get 0 points. Of course.

If the contest was pick the team where you are assured of selecting someone who will WD, I really think I would be near the top if not at the top of the leaderboard.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:(:(:(:(:(

Reactions: DFSNOLE
+14 after 2 days and +28 to finish and still get a paycheck, nice week

Dustin well on his way to a double on 18. Jason about to get a triple on 16.

What are these two guys doing????

Could we see the start of a HUGE run by DJ? Gets his first major last week , laughs in the face of the Lizard jinx this week , this could be the start of an outstanding run.

great Sunday by Dustin, had a little hiccup at 18, but nice
win.

congrats to the guy who wins when he gets his picks in during the last 3 weeks
fsu67810
bridgestone%20winner_zpserg2ciqv.png

will post updated leader board shortly

Reactions: fsu67810
Congrats again, Commish!

Speaking of the "Lizard jinx", I had thought that Day was the rare golfer who was relatively immune... However, it now seems that the burden of me picking him whenever I have the opportunity is beginning to wear him down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT