ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Clearly, Manchester City never want to play Wigan in the FA Cup again. Lost the 2013 final, lost the 2014 SF - when they were in line to win a domestic treble - and now this year.

I'm ecstatic that there's no domestic treble available for them now.

Also, let's go Rochdale, knock Spurs out and someone find a way to get United out so them Chelsea can win their first FA Cup since 2012. :)

Not going to argue or debate this as it is so subjective. De Gea is superb and has saved a very average united side many times this season. He was great yesterday v Sevilla as it should have been 3:0. All that said, there is no GK in the world I would take over Manuel Neuer... PERIOD.

Neuer's great but I don't understand, and haven't understood for the last 2-3 years, how anyone can watch De Gea and not conclude he's the best in the world. For Spain and United, he's been BY FAR the best. It's not close, IMO.

Sigh. Only the Gunners could win a first leg with 3 away goals and a clean sheet, then come home and crap the bed. Fans were most unhappy, though the good guys did prevail.

Reactions: warriortim
Neuer's great but I don't understand, and haven't understood for the last 2-3 years, how anyone can watch De Gea and not conclude he's the best in the world. For Spain and United, he's been BY FAR the best. It's not close, IMO.

All good. Not caring about convincing you to think otherwise. I am guessing you've not seen much of Neuer in matches... even before his longterm injury status. Your comment of De Gea being "BY FAR the best and "it's not close" are good for a chuckle. De Gea is and has been a great GK for a few years now. Neuer is on another level with what he brings to the game IMO. More than just an excellent shot stopper etc because he is all of that and more but he is like playing with an extra man at the back with his quality with the ball at his feet and for me that makes the decision an easy one to make. I say none of this as a slight on De Gea because to me it is CLOSE. It is mind boggling to think someone who watches football sees such separation from 1 GK to Neuer. Cheers

Reactions: seminoleed
All good. Not caring about convincing you to think otherwise. I am guessing you've not seen much of Neuer in matches... even before his longterm injury status. Your comment of De Gea being "BY FAR the best and "it's not close" are good for a chuckle. De Gea is and has been a great GK for a few years now. Neuer is on another level with what he brings to the game IMO. More than just an excellent shot stopper etc because he is all of that and more but he is like playing with an extra man at the back with his quality with the ball at his feet and for me that makes the decision an easy one to make. I say none of this as a slight on De Gea because to me it is CLOSE. It is mind boggling to think someone who watches football sees such separation from 1 GK to Neuer. Cheers
Seen Neuer tons. Just don’t agree at all.

Sigh. Only the Gunners could win a first leg with 3 away goals and a clean sheet, then come home and crap the bed. Fans were most unhappy, though the good guys did prevail.

Leipzig will see you at there. Mind you Napoli was much better competition that who Arsenal faced.

RB Leipzig (like Arsenal) were up 3-0 after leg 1 on the road. Napoli won 2-0 at Leipzig in leg 2. At least Arsenal got 1 back so it was comfortable again for the majority of the 2nd half of leg 2.

As a Chelsea supporter, my hope is that Michy shows his Chelsea DNA by getting BVB to the finals and scoring the winner against Arsenal in the Europa Finals -> i.e. just do what Chelsea strikers do against Arsenal in big games see Drogba and Costa. :)

I'm sure this will get lots of likes by the Les, Ed and all the other Gunners on here. ;)

Leipzig will see you at there. Mind you Napoli was much better competition that who Arsenal faced.

RB Leipzig (like Arsenal) were up 3-0 after leg 1 on the road. Napoli won 2-0 at Leipzig in leg 2. At least Arsenal got 1 back so it was comfortable again for the majority of the 2nd half of leg 2.

As a Chelsea supporter, my hope is that Michy shows his Chelsea DNA by getting BVB to the finals and scoring the winner against Arsenal in the Europa Finals -> i.e. just do what Chelsea strikers do against Arsenal in big games see Drogba and Costa. :)

I'm sure this will get lots of likes by the Les, Ed and all the other Gunners on here. ;)
Costa's goal didn't help Chelsea in the FA Cup final last year! :p

(But yeah...if I never heard Drogba's name again, it would be too soon. :eek:)

Reactions: Rishi
I bragged on De Gea to Tim, and what’s he do today vs Chelsea? Gets beaten near post. D’oh!

That’s the last time I say something positive about any Mancs!

And the natives are restless now. Wenger is being universally crucified over there, and justly so. Thierry Henry has come out and said he'd take over the job in necessary.

Sad that it had to come to this kind of Bowden-esque ending.

OK, WTF. How is the US going to lose the 2026 World Cup to Morocco? The most corrupt organization in the world is going to lose millions in lost ticket sales and TV revenue if the Cup goes to Africa. You have got to be f#$%ing kidding me.

Sad that it had to come to this kind of Bowden-esque ending.

I have been saying for about 4 years now that this entire situation reminded me a lot of the FSU/Bowden situation. There is no easy way out of this because Wenger will not step down on his own, and he thinks he can fix the problem that he has allowed to happen.

Surely today was Wenger's death knell?

I've stayed out of this debate, as losing twice to City this year is no shame, but to have ZERO resemblance of giving a sh!t on the pitch is all on Wenger. Show him the door! Sacre' bleu!

Don't know if anyone/everyone has seen/read the news about auto qualifications for 2018/19 UCL (and UEL).

Now the top 4 teams in England, Spain, Germany and Italy auto qualify. 4th place teams in England, Spain and Germany won't have to "play in" and Italy goes up from 3 to 4 and their 3rd place team doesn't have to "play in".

Direct UEFA link:
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2499801.html

Others changes are there as well, but I figure for our purposes here the fact that the top 4 in the big 4 European Domestic Leagues would be the biggest talking/discussion point.

Great news for whoever finishes 4th now as those 2 extra games in the summer are removed and now no longer any discernible difference between finishing 2nd-4th other than a few extra £s for placement (in England).

Can you imagine if say Real Madrid finished fourth (3rd but only 1 point above Valencia at the moment) and had to play their way in and imagine if they had been drawn with say another big 4 Leagues' team. Say Real Madrid against Spurs (currently 4th in EPL) and Spurs' KOs them from the UCL! I remember that happened to Napoli (when Rafa was still their manager) a couple of years ago (can't remember who knocked them out, but it was a big 4 league squad) and they ended up losing and being in the Europa League instead.

Also great for teams and fans of Serie A as they get an extra place. Big for Lazio, Inter and Roma who are currently 3rd-5th and separated by 2 points, as they are now fighting for 2 places and not just 1.

Not much changes for England, Spain and Germany as the 4th place team did qualify, but losing those 2 extra qualification matches in the summer is great as it gives the teams a little more time to rest before coming back - especially since it's a World Cup year - and the Clubs can use those dates to give fans in other part of the World a chance to see their favoured clubs play live. eg. When clubs make the tours of the U.S. in the summer, can add a couple more dates if they don't have to fly back and play UCL matches towards the end of July/early August.

Bad news, Arsenal would no longer get a 4th place trophy (if they can ever achieve those heights again). ;) I should probably not throw stones in the glass house that Chelsea currently resides in, since we too are out of the UCL places. :confused:

Bad news, Arsenal would no longer get a 4th place trophy (if they can ever achieve those heights again). ;) I should probably not throw stones in the glass house that Chelsea currently resides in, since we too are out of the UCL places. :confused:
No, you should throw them. This is approaching rock-bottom, if we're not actually already there. All bets are off right now. If we lose to Brighton (a real possibility) I think Wenger's done on Sunday.

Wenger should be done already. Then again he should have never made it to this season, so he will probably be around for another season knowing how Arsenal work.

I know me saying it here on Warchant isn't going to help make it happen, but Wenger should be fired today. I don't know if they take a bus, train, or some other form of transportation to Brighton, but whatever it is should not even have him on it going back to London. You can keep the rest of his staff behind with him as well for all I care.

The Thursday Europa League match with Milan could be ugly. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 5-1 aggregate for the 2 games with Milan, and I think Arsenal will be lucky to keep it that close.

I swear the past couple years for Arsenal remind me so much of 2005 - 2009 at FSU.

...and as I type this they pull one back against Brighton. We'll see if they can find the fight to get the other goal back & potentially find a winner.

Not to interrupt the Arsenal pity party/anti-Wenger pogrom, but I've never seen my Blues dominated like they were at $ity today. We can't help but look better even at Camp Nou soon.

Last edited:
Not to interrupt the Arsenal pity party/anti-Wenger pogrom, but I've never seen my Blues dominated like they were at $ity today. We can't help but look better even at Camp Nou soon.

Wow, shocked by how high schoolish Chelsea looked today. A City win helps United's top 4 finish, but I just couldn't root for City, but damn Chelsea, please show some signs of life. Zero shots on goal and only 21% possession...

Reactions: NoleLizards
Wow, shocked by how high schoolish Chelsea looked today. A City win helps United's top 4 finish, but I just couldn't root for City, but damn Chelsea, please show some signs of life. Zero shots on goal and only 21% possession...

Chelsea played better than The Arsenal, that's for sure.

Reactions: nole31906
Davide Astori, a mob hit or overdose?

Initial report was cardiac arrest. I don't believe it though for a second. Something happened to him, but I don't think we will ever know the full truth.

When it was initially reported it said the cause of death was "sudden illness" then later it was reported as "cardiac arrest." Could be nothing, but I thought that was a bit fishy.

The medical examiner said there's an 89% chance that it's not a sudden death and that only 1 in 100,000 athletes die suddenly due to natural causes.

Not as good as celebrating St. Totteringham's Day, but still enjoyable. And I see Joachim Low is being touted to replace Wenger now. Not sure what to think about that yet.

I have been reading blurbs about the Joachim Low potential replacement for a couple weeks now, and the consensus is, no thanks. Then again since Brendan Rogers is also being mentioned, I think Low would be welcomed with open arms if it is between those 2.

I personally like Conte, but I see questions about his future at Chelsea on the interwebz (so they must be real!). How bout a trade (essentially) for Wenger? :D

ADVERTISEMENT