ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Its amazing how teflon Harry Kane is to British press. No show in biggest game if season and hardly a peep.
I cant imagine the headlines if Messi or Ronaldo went out like that.

Its amazing how teflon Harry Kane is to British press. No show in biggest game if season and hardly a peep.
I cant imagine the headlines if Messi or Ronaldo went out like that.
They don't want to jinx their only good player as they head in to WC2018 in less than 100 days.

TIm is our resident German footie expert. Would love to hear his take on that.

I had read some things in the German press awhile ago and from talking to some friends of mine over there that linked Jogi to Bayern in the summer. Not heard much since then though. I know Jogi has expressed the desire to coach at the club level at some point again so... Some folks think he will retire from the national team after the WC, especially if Germany were to win it. Looking at the depth currently in Germany, I think it would be extremely difficult to walk away from that. Germany could field nearly 4 complete top quality sides from their current depth. I am guessing if he is going to coach at the club level he would do so in Germany. Things can certainly change but at this point I would be shocked if he was offered/accepted the Arsenal job.

Germany could field nearly 4 complete top quality sides from their current depth.
giphy.gif

Germany's great. No disputing that. But that statement is pure German propaganda of the 1930's variety.

giphy.gif

Germany's great. No disputing that. But that statement is pure German propaganda of the 1930's variety.

Did you watch the Confederations Cup? That was the B Team that won it AND 8 of the 11 German players that started the Final v Chile could have bypassed the Cup altogether and featured in the U21 UEFA Championships that were played at the same time. You seem to want turn everything into a pissing match with comments you have made here and previously and that is exactly why I stopped posting here before. I've given some facts here to back up my opinion. You give cute little GIF's and pre WW II hyperbole references. Cheers mate. Tschuess

Mustafi was starting in that B team. Let’s just settle down. You’re not THAT good.

And anything short of slurping you and you feign being attacked. It’s not that serious dude.

We all know that managing Club & Country are 2 totally different things. Below is the list of Clubs he has managed before his German National Team stint.

VfB Stuttgart
Fenerbahçe
Karlsruher
Adanaspor
Wacker Innsbruck
Austria Wien

Overall he has managed 210 Club games, won 100, Drew 48, and lost 62. March 2004 is the last time he managed at the Club level, and it was in Austria.

He isn't exactly what I would think Arsenal need at this point in time.

Sitting here wondering where that sporting director who "felt sorry for Arsenal" and the beating Napoli was going to put on them ran off to?

LOL "slurp" Are you cdowlar in disguise posing as an Arsenal fan? In any event, you are
Mustafi was starting in that B team. Let’s just settle down. You’re not THAT good.

And anything short of slurping you and you feign being attacked. It’s not that serious dude.
LOL "slurp" Are you cdowlar posing as an Arsenal fan? You are the exact same sort of poster!

GK Manuel Neuer

GK Marc Andre ter Stegen

GK Sven Ulreich

GK Bernd Leno

GK Kevin Trapp

D Mats Hummels

D Jerome Boateng

D Jonas Hector

D Joshua Kimmich

D Niklas Suele

D Antonio Ruediger

D Mustafi

D Benedikt Hoewedes

D Marvin Plattenhardt

D Matthias Ginter

D Christoph Kramer

D Lars Bender

D Sven Bender

D Jonas Hector

D Benjamin Henrichs

M Emre Can

M Julian Draxler

M Toni Kroos

M Kerim Demirbay

M Julian Brandt

M Diego Demme

M Sami Khedira

M Mesut Ozil

M Mario Goetze

M Marco Reus

M Leroy Sane

M Ilkay Gundogan

M Sebastian Rudy

M Leon Goretzka

F Timo Werner

F Thomas Mueller

F Mario Gomez

F Andre Schurrle

F Lars Stindl

F Sandro Wagner

And that is just off the top of the head. Germany are "Not that good" yet can choose their 23 man roster from those listed above and are the current FIFA World #1. I eagerly await your next catch gif or "slurp" comment

Germany are not THAT good. Read better please. I acknowledged right off the bat that Germany are great...just not as great as you say...Which is true. What you SHOULD do, is list 4 full teams...since that's what you claim to have. Not just copy Wikipedia's current list of players...and say, "See!" Weak. But I'll still reply to your list...

The Benders are MF's...you have them listed as defenders. Right off the bat, your list is suspect.

You have 2 great GKs and then you've listed 3 that no one's ever heard of, but we're supposed to take it on fact b/c you're Mr. Bundesliga. It would be the same if someone listed Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, and Jordan Pickford and said "England are 3 deep at GK." People outside of England might think that's true b/c they don't know, but everyone inside of England would say, "Yeah, they're three promising young(er) players..." In any case, gimme a break. Germany is 2 deep at GK. Period. Everyone can see that.

List your defenders as RB, LB, or CB please. You're just listing them as plain old defenders. I can't tell how many CBs there are (I think there are quite a few though) That's not how football is played. I can't agree or disagree that they're as deep as you say without being able to rank them 4 deep. Also, Mustafi is a joke. Get him off your list.

You've got 400 attacking midfielders. Pretty sure you're not going to line up that way. No disputing there are a lot of great players in Germany's midfield, but you can't play more than 2 or 3 at a time. Maybe if you add the Benders to MF as they should be, your list balances out. Maybe it doesn't. Either way. They're very deep in MF. Can't argue that. Perhaps they can go 3-deep here. Need to see and count AM's vs DM's to know for sure.

LOL @ Mario Gomez and Sandro Wagner as serious forwards. Gomez is/was half-way decent but is way beyond washed up. He won't sniff the national team, nor should he. He's servicable, at best. Sandro Wagner isn't that good at all. Neither are evidence of supreme depth. You're too thin at striker to say you're 4 deep. Honestly you only have enough good strikers for one team, not even a second. 1-deep at striker

You're probably 2-deep at every position with the exception of striker. Still impressive and still probably good enough to win the World Cup again...which they'll be the favorites to do.

By the way, out of curiousity, are you even German...or just some sort of weird German fan boy?

At one poj
Germany are not THAT good. Read better please. I acknowledged right off the bat that Germany are great...just not as great as you say...Which is true. What you SHOULD do, is list 4 full teams...since that's what you claim to have. Not just copy Wikipedia's current list of players...and say, "See!" Weak. But I'll still reply to your list...

The Benders are MF's...you have them listed as defenders. Right off the bat, your list is suspect.

You have 2 great GKs and then you've listed 3 that no one's ever heard of, but we're supposed to take it on fact b/c you're Mr. Bundesliga. It would be the same if someone listed Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, and Jordan Pickford and said "England are 3 deep at GK." People outside of England might think that's true b/c they don't know, but everyone inside of England would say, "Yeah, they're three promising young(er) players..." In any case, gimme a break. Germany is 2 deep at GK. Period. Everyone can see that.

List your defenders as RB, LB, or CB please. You're just listing them as plain old defenders. I can't tell how many CBs there are (I think there are quite a few though) That's not how football is played. I can't agree or disagree that they're as deep as you say without being able to rank them 4 deep. Also, Mustafi is a joke. Get him off your list.

You've got 400 attacking midfielders. Pretty sure you're not going to line up that way. No disputing there are a lot of great players in Germany's midfield, but you can't play more than 2 or 3 at a time. Maybe if you add the Benders to MF as they should be, your list balances out. Maybe it doesn't. Either way. They're very deep in MF. Can't argue that. Perhaps they can go 3-deep here. Need to see and count AM's vs DM's to know for sure.

LOL @ Mario Gomez and Sandro Wagner as serious forwards. Gomez is/was half-way decent but is way beyond washed up. He won't sniff the national team, nor should he. He's servicable, at best. Sandro Wagner isn't that good at all. Neither are evidence of supreme depth. You're too thin at striker to say you're 4 deep. Honestly you only have enough good strikers for one team, not even a second. 1-deep at striker

You're probably 2-deep at every position with the exception of striker. Still impressive and still probably good enough to win the World Cup again...which they'll be the favorites to do.

By the way, out of curiousity, are you even German...or just some sort of weird German fan boy?

LOL wow no gifs and "slurp" comments this time. You actually posted a novella! BTW just out of curiosity, are you from North London or just some daft prick Prem Fan Boy?

Messi should stick w/futbol. I think he’s got a future in it. 2 goals and an assist in a 3-1 aggregate score line (so far - at halftime of leg 2)

Also, Willian is quality! What a player.

Messi is of course great, but that was the worst brace ive ever seen Messi or any footballer score. Courtois is an ebarassment to goalkeeping. Not as if Chelsea had a chance but are you serious in goal? Can not believe what i saw and I dislike both teams equally

Can't argue with your assertion that Courtois was crap. He was. But I think part of that was down to Messi inspiring such fear in him...which still speaks poorly of Courtois, an allegedly world-class GK.

Every time Messi touched the ball though, you felt he might score. Even by Messi standards, he was "on" yesterday.

England is crapping the bed, eh? Only City and Liverpool left...and does anyone really think 'pewl have a chance in the next round(s)? I certainly don't.

The Arsenal advances to the next round of Europa; the side that Milan's technical director said he felt "sorry" for, wins 5-1 on aggregate. And all footie fans should watch Wellbeck's imitation of a baby giraffe trying to walk. Perhaps the worst dive I've ever seen, and he wasn't carded. And he scored the PK. Dude was living a charmed life today.

We're going to be in Munich, during the Germany-Spain friendly on Friday. Unfortunately the match is in Dusseldorf, so we can't see it in person, but I'm hopeful that our hotel concierge can point me in the right direction to watch it at a fun place w/a bunch of locals.

Reactions: nole31906
Zlatan to MLS (Galaxy)....

only a matter of time (well...mostly MLS changing their stupid financial system) until the bigger names make their way while still in their prime to the USA...

Reactions: seminoleed
Germany/Spain was one of the best first halves of football I’ve seen in a long time. International-wise.

2nd half, w/all the subs, sort of killed that vibe but still a super entertaining match to watch!

Reactions: nole31906
Ill have to watch replays of Germany Spain.

Saw a bit of Spain Argentina, or as i like to call it, the good version of Isco. it’ll be interesting who can afford Isco and especially Bale this summer. Both have awful body language riding pine at Madrid these days, but both love to excel for country only.

I don’t buy the Lewandovski signing unless its official in June. Madrid have so many overpaid guys after no big signings for 2 years, i do believe there will be lots of necessary changes this summer but too many rumors to list.

Hearing that De Geas wife and kid still live in Madrid seems like a no brainer to move.

Champions League returns next week cant wait.

Ill have to watch replays of Germany Spain.

Saw a bit of Spain Argentina, or as i like to call it, the good version of Isco. it’ll be interesting who can afford Isco and especially Bale this summer. Both have awful body language riding pine at Madrid these days, but both love to excel for country only.

I don’t buy the Lewandovski signing unless its official in June. Madrid have so many overpaid guys after no big signings for 2 years, i do believe there will be lots of necessary changes this summer but too many rumors to list.

Hearing that De Geas wife and kid still live in Madrid seems like a no brainer to move.

Champions League returns next week cant wait.

Really hopes De Gea moves to Madrid this summer so it will end the Courtois to Madrid rumours. Courtois' kids also live in Madrid, but he's no longer in a relationship with their mother (beyond being parents to their children obviously).

I've long thought that Madrid would be trying to make a splash this summer due to how poor they've performed in La Liga this campaign.

I thought they would try to sign 1 or both of Pogba and KDB to replace Modric and/or Kroos. When I started to hear/read the Pogba rumours the last couple of months, I thought that move was less likely -> usually when they get out to public sources like ESPNFC this far in advance, I almost always eliminate them as credible at that point. Haven't heard anything about KDB, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the move this summer -> if Real and/or City don't win the UCL.

Huge news the last couple of days regarding UEFA Jan. transfer rules.

Starting Jan. 2019, teams will be able to register up to 3 new players for UCL/UEL (not new) with no cup-tied restrictions (new).

Huge.

Will make Jan. transfer window hectic now. eg. Coutinho would've been eligible for Barca this year had the rule been in place for this Jan.

I'm sure we can all list a couple of transactions that this hindered our respective clubs in the recent past either putting the transactions off until the summer (in which cases a lot of times the deal would end up not taken place) or where an ineligible player was signed.

An eg. of the latter for Chelsea (fairly) recently was Matic in Jan. 2014 (from Benfica) where he was ineligible for UCL and our SF loss to Athleti.

That is a bizarre rule change, im not a fan of it.
Im still waiting for Uefa to kick PSG out of europe for a million violations. Won’t happen.

Pogba isn’t good enough to play at Madrid. I have no idea what position Pogba should play in or in what system.

Modric is a tough call, he’s aged suddenly in the last year and can only play once a week effectively, zidane thought Isco would replace him, that’s been the plan. But Isco is so one dimensional(great in tight spaces with tremendous skill and the slowest player in Spain with no ability to run past anyone), that he makes Modric look quick on his feet.

More importantly Madrid havent figured out a way to hide Isco on defense, and he can’t play with the not quick Kroos and Casemiro in middle or there is no counter attacking speed, becoming more of an issue with Modric now too. I think Isco goes to City or Tottenham, 2 quick midfields who can hide him.
Modric i think starts the big matches one more year and as you mentioned Madrid sign Modric replacement this summer. I have no idea who that is still as the Ceballos and Llorentes havent worked out at all and are too defensive.

I know it'll come off as homer-ish, but Pulisic is the best player on Dortmund right now. I really feel bad for that kid, given how much the higher-ups screwed up the USMNT WCQ, as he would've been a star and now will lose out on a ton of earning potential because of that.

Side note: Bayern is making this look like a training match right now.

Reactions: NoleLizards
The win over the Swans does nothing for the Sevilla hangover!

Pogba is gone, and PSG will have a Florida Marlin's fire sale this summer.

De Gea is going no where and Bale better not end up at United.

Willian is Lukaku on crack.

It makes me sick that Liverpool and City have excellent squads, but it helps that CSKA London has fallen. Anyone else think that Kloop is the San Diego Chicken, minus the costume.

Did anyone else see that Ashley Cole is still playing in Los Angeles?

Zlatan's two stunners yesterday? He beat an out of position HS keeper. he beat up on a weakling, that's all he did. I thought Stone and Lalas were gonna take turns performing you know what on him yesterday after the game. Germany could place 8 teams in the MLS and finish 1-8.

Sad to see Stoke getting the boot.

And just like that, top 4 is decided. Just placing from 2-4 to be determined.

Sigh.

Even if Chelsea win the FA Cup this year, the year still sucks knowing that UCL isn't there next year.

And just like that, top 4 is decided. Just placing from 2-4 to be determined.

Sigh.

Even if Chelsea win the FA Cup this year, the year still sucks knowing that UCL isn't there next year.
:(

Zlatan's two stunners yesterday? He beat an out of position HS keeper. he beat up on a weakling, that's all he did. I thought Stone and Lalas were gonna take turns performing you know what on him yesterday after the game. Germany could place 8 teams in the MLS and finish 1-8.

LOL, bitter much?

I won't take anything away from Zlatan for either of his goals.

Yes, the first one was due to keeper error. However, the accuracy from that distance, especially off a half-volley was amazing. You could give me 100 chances to do that without anyone else on the pitch, and I probably don't do it at all.

As for the second, I find it interesting that the announcers commend him for knowing he was offsides and leaving the ball to a teammate. When the teammate plays the ball to him for the header, IMO he was still offsides. The ball was slightly past the 2 deepest defenders, but Zlatan appears to be slightly ahead of the ball. If you argue the ball was not beyond the defenders, I would also state a case that Zlatan was behind the defenders when the ball was played.

The second goal was still smart and he got himself into the correct position to score. Of course the GK also should have done better.

Very exciting game overall, especially with the comeback in a derby match in LA.

Ronny's bicycle kick vs Juventus?!?!?!

Ooh la la!

Look it up. Sickness.

The home Juve fans gave him a standing ovation and about a minute's applause it was so ridiculous!

Reactions: Manch.
ADVERTISEMENT