ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

And now i'm off to the Gulch for freezing rain/cold windy tailgating before tonight's MLS Cup match at the Benz. Atlanta United and Portland should be an excellent matchup of high octane offense vs. cautious defending with counterattacks. 74,000 expected to be rowdy and proud.

We are the A (clap clap clap clap)....etc.

I am pretty happy with Arsenal’s win today actually. Not sure the team last year would have found a way.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Mourinho out @ Man United!

i

Mourinho out @ Man United!

i

Merry Christmas Jose. I am curious to see who replaces him, both short term if they go with an interim Mgr., and long term.

Considering they are still in CL, this is a good time to replace him. They can get someone new in and work out some things before the knockout stage games take place.

Merry Christmas Jose. I am curious to see who replaces him, both short term if they go with an interim Mgr., and long term.

Considering they are still in CL, this is a good time to replace him. They can get someone new in and work out some things before the knockout stage games take place.
Michael Carrick has been appointed "Caretaker." That's interesting in and of itself to me.

Zidane?
Pochettino?

Who's next?

I read where they'll go after Pochettino for NEXT year. Supposedly will have an interim manager for the rest of this season. Not sure Carrick is who they need, though.

It is weird because Arsenal needs to add defenders to the squad. Between injuries and the "Festive Period", they need to plug guys into spots you normally don't see them.

I really hope the focus in January is bringing in 1-2 CBs.

By the way, is Ozil still on the team? Is it really just a back injury or is there more to it?

Hey look, the USMNT finally has a new head coach....

....and in his first act as head coach

....he calls up Michael Bradley to the national squad for the January camp o_O

Reactions: seminoleed
Hey look, the USMNT finally has a new head coach....

....and in his first act as head coach

....he calls up Michael Bradley to the national squad for the January camp o_O

I get that he can't call up any of the guys playing abroad since this camp is not during an official FIFA International Break, but he could have kicked the old guys to the curb and called up all young guys. Maybe he called up Bradley so he can get an official farewell?

I can't exactly say his first team selection is instilling any confidence that he will do a good job.

The Arsenal with a clinical 3-1 victory over Burnley. Expected result, but what really surprised me was that when Burnley started getting chippy, the Gunners responded in a like manner, and it really pissed off the Burnley manager. He didn't have anything to say to Emery at the end. Gunners with some backbone--me likey.

I swear, the front office of Atlanta United simply doesn't miss a beat. Hired Frank de Boer today as their new manager, replacing Tata Martino who has moved on to the despised Mexican MNT. Regardless, Tata will always have a place in the heart of 5 Stripes supporters for doing what he did in just two years.

De Boer appears to be a young version of Tata; likes to run the same formation, emphasis on scoring but maybe a little more involved with the defense. Won 4 Dutch titles in a row, after Ajax had missed out for 7 years; they haven't won again since he left. Had dismal outings with Milan and Palace, but the Palace situation was doomed from the start. Plus, he speaks Spanish, so hopefully will keep the South American pipeline Tata developed going, while adding young European talent as well. This looks like Atlanta just doing what it does well, and making the side that much better for this upcoming season's title defense.

Unite and Conquer.

Reactions: nole31906
Defenders & true wingers. Almost everything they do on attack is central because they don't have anyone to play wide.

I saw earlier that they are supposedly thinking of making a bid for Pulisic (he is rumored to have current interest from Chelski).

Personally I would sell Ramsey, Ozil, Mustafi & Mkhitaryan. Then go get 2 wingers & 2 CBs.

I know it is the January window, and most teams don't do a lot in this window. Maybe Ramsey is the only sell this window, with a CB brought in, I don't know. Ramsey is out of contract and they are not renewing, so if they want anything for him they need to sell next month. I say take what you can get for him and move on.

Reactions: seminoleed
Saddens me. No way would I get a Chelsea shirt with his name on it. If he'd gone to another Prem team other than City, Pwel or Spurs, I could have done it, but CCCPLondon? Nope.

With the recent, very unfortunate news that the Locker Room is going to be a premium site starting next week...I wonder if the PGSF and by extension, this thread, is going to stay free? I would miss you guys! If anything should happen to our thread, I propose we start a What'sApp group. We have one for some of our hardcore Tallahassee Gooners w/like 14 people in it. It's a great time. I think we could build something similar with our group here (if and only if) we get our walking papers on the PGSF.

Les, is that What'sApp group only for Tallahassee Gooners, or are other Gooners welcome? I would love to find a good place to chat with fellow Gooners.

Thanks Les, I just joined.

Btw, I noticed the LR is private as of this afternoon, not next week.

As for this afternoon, GO CITY!

Pathetic performance by Arsenal. All the good feeling is gone. This is nothing better than a mid-table club. And they have "no money" to purchase new players, only seek loan moves. Meanwhile, Ozil collects his fat wages. Hard not to be extremely pessimistic at this point.

With Chelsea facing Newcastle today, I'm having flashbacks to college football season...My team's being opposed by a squad in striped jerseys.

With Chelsea facing Newcastle today, I'm having flashbacks to college football season...My team's being opposed by a squad in striped jerseys.

I know we play the gators every year, and they are a bunch of criminals, but I don't recall them wearing striped jerseys ;).

I have to try to add humor because the Arsenal match today was depressing. I don't know that they will hold onto 6th this season, never-mind 5th.

Reactions: LesClaypool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT