ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Look at THIS linenup, Goons. Wow...

22539718_10155355315293171_1864844818685336897_n.jpg

And that bench...oh my!

I didn’t even tape Everton because they’re an automatic loss these days. Please tell me how Koemen has a job?

Finally...Alexis, Ozil, and Lacazette start together!
22688378_880251118798587_829091579213010329_n.jpg
If you asked me to name the most likely starting 11 for Arsenal pre-season I'd have named 10/11 (only Per out and Mustafi/Holding in).

I was surprised to hear that it was the first time that Ozil,Alexis and Lacazette hadn't started together until Sunday. I know they've had to wait on Alexis a bit (long summer) and some other stuff (Arsene being Arsene), but still the 9th league game seems a long time - since the League Cup and Europa are likely "rest" games/youth games for Arsenal at least now. I could see Europa getting to be thought of as a bigger competition come KO stage (at least in comparison to now).

That being said, I haven't seen Chelsea's best 11 once yet either. :)

That being said, I haven't seen Chelsea's best 11 once yet either. :)[/QUOTE]

Because of injury or incompetence? Who would your best 11 be??

I hope Arsenal offers Sanchez $500,000 a week to stay. Whatever it takes.

I've resigned myself to accepting that he's gone. I'm just going to enjoy watching him while we still have him. The Everton match with him, Ozil, and Lacazette all firing was a thing of beauty. As Rishi points out...incredible it took 9 league matches for it (AOL - Alexis/Ozil/Lacazette) to finally happen.

I agree Arsenal should try to do whatever it takes to keep him, but I just don't think it is even a possibility at this point. My second thought is that I hope they sell him for whatever they can get in January, to a club outside of England...PSG maybe? I just don't want him to be around in England to make Arsenal suffer for not keeping him.

As for the rumors on Ozil, I am wondering if that is just his agent stirring the pot in an effort to get more money. Does anyone really think Man U or some other top club wants him? Yes he is a great offensive talent, but he takes too much time off and neglects his defensive responsibilities a lot. I say this as a huge Ozil fan too.

As to this being the first game for the 3 playing together, keep in mind Sanchez was out earlier in the year with "an injury", and then Ozil was recently out with an injury. I think they may have had one other opportunity to play, but from what I recall their injuries were pretty much back to back.

Reactions: nole31906
That being said, I haven't seen Chelsea's best 11 once yet either. :)

Because of injury or incompetence? Who would your best 11 be??[/QUOTE]

Some injury, some because Cesc isn't in my best 11.

I'd go:
Courtois
Azpi Luiz Rudiger
Moses Kante Bakayako Alonso
Pedro Hazard
Morata

Conte still goes with Cahill over Rudiger,

Also, hate it when Conte starts Dave at RWB eg. Man City. That was the exact game that change shouldn't have happened since City isn't an aerial threat (in general). Needed Dave's pace at the back.

Right now, with us basically having 1 healthy SR MF in Cesc I can accept doing what's needed until we get bodies back, but once healthy, I don't want to see Cesc start in any big game. He was awesome last year 1) because of the extra rest and 2) b/c he proved he's a game changer off the bench. I think that's his best role. I'm hoping Cesc finds his way back to that especially in the 2nd half of the campaign.

Next year, I'd go with Christensen over Luiz.

League's not done, but seemingly getting close to that point. So need to ensure top 3/4 finish especially since Arsenal are level with us and they essentially haven't played had a stretch of good play yet (which we know they will find at some point). Now that Arsene's found out that his best 11 are capable of winning he might stick with it for a while.

I don't think City are as good as their results have been thus far, but unfortunately for supporters of all other teams, they seem to have found their scoring boots and when they are going well they score for fun (going back the last 7-8 years).

January's going to be interesting to see if United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea try to add to their squads or wait until the summer and essentially concede the league to City.

Because of injury or incompetence? Who would your best 11 be??

Some injury, some because Cesc isn't in my best 11.

I'd go:
Courtois
Azpi Luiz Rudiger
Moses Kante Bakayako Alonso
Pedro Hazard
Morata

Conte still goes with Cahill over Rudiger,

Also, hate it when Conte starts Dave at RWB eg. Man City. That was the exact game that change shouldn't have happened since City isn't an aerial threat (in general). Needed Dave's pace at the back.

Right now, with us basically having 1 healthy SR MF in Cesc I can accept doing what's needed until we get bodies back, but once healthy, I don't want to see Cesc start in any big game. He was awesome last year 1) because of the extra rest and 2) b/c he proved he's a game changer off the bench. I think that's his best role. I'm hoping Cesc finds his way back to that especially in the 2nd half of the campaign.

Next year, I'd go with Christensen over Luiz.

League's not done, but seemingly getting close to that point. So need to ensure top 3/4 finish especially since Arsenal are level with us and they essentially haven't played had a stretch of good play yet (which we know they will find at some point). Now that Arsene's found out that his best 11 are capable of winning he might stick with it for a while.

I don't think City are as good as their results have been thus far, but unfortunately for supporters of all other teams, they seem to have found their scoring boots and when they are going well they score for fun (going back the last 7-8 years).

January's going to be interesting to see if United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea try to add to their squads or wait until the summer and essentially concede the league to City.[/QUOTE]
Still a long way to go in the league...

Gotta get Kante back...full strength ASAP. It's night and day when he's on or off the pitch as far as gaining & keeping possession.

Chelsea looked pretty good, except (of course) for the inept finishing. Could easily have been 5 Nil today. Just glad to get out of a match without any injuries, cards and a clean sheet and all 3 points. Probably the 1st time this year for all of the above.

Hoping that Kante is back for Wed. UCL clash at Roma. I would prefer to see him play the last 30 mins or so as a warm up for the huge match at Stamford Bridge Sunday against United.

After the International break, Chelsea is expected to get Moses back. Will like to see Conte actually work with a full cupboard this year.

As an aside, City's good enough without getting lucky breaks as well (Fernandinho's goal -> the 2nd for City).

Reactions: NoleLizards
As ive been saying all season this R Madrid team is junk, in all 3 competitions. They don’t like to defend and the midfield has created nothing all season but poor crosses.
The right back and CB issues are a disaster, should recall that kid from Germany, and then bench Modric.

Tottenham job well done crushing a wounded goat.

WTF is Wenger doing with his lineup against City? Just like earlier in the season when Lacazette was on the bench against Liverpool, he is on the bench against City. What was the point of making a record signing if you are just going to sit him on the bench in the biggest games?

It also looks like he is going back to a back 4, maybe a 4-2-3-1 overall but hard to tell.

I hope City doesn't hang 4-5 on Arsenal today, and I also hope we figure out a way to get 1-2 on the board.

Agree Lacazette should have started, but Arsenal actually played pretty well. The non-offsides call really hurt. Man City is clearly a much better squad, but unlike other losses to top six teams, there was no shame for Arsenal in this one.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I agree Arsenal played well, especially for playing a DM as the middle of a back 3.

Goal 2 - should not have been a penalty on Monreal. That was shoulder to shoulder, and if you are going to call that a penalty, I can point out a couple dozen other fouls that should be called in every game.

Goal 3 - offsides, and there really isn't much debate about that.

Wenger is still the issue IMO. He goes out and signs a record signing in Lacazette and sits him in both the Liverpool and City games, WTF? Instead of constantly looking for top quality strikers, who seem to sit a bunch in big games, how about going out and getting more top quality defenders?

I think I heard during the broadcast that it is now more than 1000 days since Arsenal have won away to a top 6 side. With their team setup & mentality, they aren't going to break that anytime soon.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Man City has been getting the better of all 50/50 calls this year. They are obviously the better team in the EPL this year.

Time to watch Mourinho park the bus.

I wonder if Wenger will be on the bench for the next Arsenal match or matches.

Post-match he not only criticized the refs, but he also called Sterling s diver. I have a feeling the FA is going to have an issue with his statements and at a minimum he will be fined.

Toronto/Red Bulls was most entertaining today. Altidore and Klestcka (sp) both red carded IN THE TUNNEL at halftime. Chippy physical play the whole match. Much fun.

Toronto/Red Bulls was most entertaining today. Altidore and Klestcka (sp) both red carded IN THE TUNNEL at halftime. Chippy physical play the whole match. Much fun.

Jozy was being a little b****

I hope he's done with the USMNT. Dude doesn't have it mentally.

Reactions: seminoleed
WOW! For the first time since 1958, and only the second time ever, Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup. Definitely going to be a weird tournament for me without both Italy & USA.

Look on the bright side. The U.S. has reached Italy's level in international footie. o_O

As an Italy fan, I actually think of it the other way around. Italy has sunk to the level of the USMNT. Hopefully both countries can get it turned around by 2022.

As an Italy fan, I actually think of it the other way around. Italy has sunk to the level of the USMNT. Hopefully both countries can get it turned around by 2022.

Probably gonna have to wait until 2024/26 for Italy. Might find a way to make the 2022 WC, but with the current group of players and youngish players (say 18-22) they don't have a lot to hold on to. Have their Keeper of the future and a couple of other nice pieces, but I wouldn't want to be the manager of Italy until at least 2024/26. Maybe by then, some of their ~ 14 year olds will have some promise.

Heard Carlo Ancelotti might be their next gaffer. Not sure what Uncle Carlo's thinking. He needs to find another job before taking on that lost cause.

Not going to talk about the USMNT woes, since they're well known to all who read this thread.

When you have no expectations (I'm Canadian), anything you do can be looked at as a positive. Also, going see Canada play in a WC for the first time in 40 years come 2026 regardless of any improvement. Just hope that they score a goal this time (0 goals for, 9 against IIRC in 86).

We're hosting the Tallahassee Tottenham supporters group at our pub on Saturday @ 7:30. Unfortunately it's at such an ungodly hour, but I think we'll still have a decent turnout.

Then, when Spurs host Arsenal at Wembley on February 10th, we're going to their pub to watch it.

A home-and-home tie.

Reactions: Manch.
We're hosting the Tallahassee Tottenham supporters group at our pub on Saturday @ 7:30. Unfortunately it's at such an ungodly hour, but I think we'll still have a decent turnout.

Then, when Spurs host Arsenal at Wembley on February 10th, we're going to their pub to watch it.

A home-and-home tie.

Just curious, how big are the crowds in general - especially for a huge derby like this? Have you anything like this in the past i.e. invited opponents' supporters group for a match and if so how was the turnout?

Awesome that you have that kind of participation.

Hope you have a great time watching the match.

Normally I think I'd cheer for Arsenal in this match, but with the way the table currently is, I think I have to root for a draw.

Hope we see Sanchez, Lacazette and Ozil all play together -> especially after Ozil and Lacazette supposedly (didn't see the matches or highlights) both played really well in the Germany/France friendly.

Just curious, how big are the crowds in general - especially for a huge derby like this? Have you anything like this in the past i.e. invited opponents' supporters group for a match and if so how was the turnout?

Awesome that you have that kind of participation.

Hope you have a great time watching the match.

Normally I think I'd cheer for Arsenal in this match, but with the way the table currently is, I think I have to root for a draw.

Hope we see Sanchez, Lacazette and Ozil all play together -> especially after Ozil and Lacazette supposedly (didn't see the matches or highlights) both played really well in the Germany/France friendly.
We live in Tallahassee, so our club is really small by comparison to most supporters groups. This is the first time we've ever invited another supporters group over. Actually Tottenham might be the only other supporters group in town...we're not sure. They're pretty big though b/c one of the youth soccer leagues in town here is sponsored by Tottenham, so everywhere you go see "Tallahassee Tottenham" stickers on minivans. It's sickening! :eek: As a result of that sponsorship, a lot of soccer dads and their kids have become de facto Spurs supporters.

Once last year, Man City (of all teams???) brought like 10 people to our pub, but it was mainly just one guy who LOVED Man City and like 9 of his friends who just came b/c they wanted to drink in the AM. haha

Other than that, we'll get a couple of random Man United supporters for that match, and there are a few Liverpool supporters in town who've come in the past (thankfully they weren't there for the 4-0 drubbing we took this year though!)

A great turnout for us is ~20 Gooners. That's only happened 2x this year. That was REALLY fun!

A pretty good turnout, is 8-12. That's happened quite a few times. Also really fun.

A weak turnout (where just the diehards show up) is 4-6. Still fun to watch w/other fans as opposed to alone at home though...so I love it no matter how many show up. I never, or very, very rarely miss a match. A few of us have commiserated with each other that there's "no going back" (to watching matches alone).

Given this match is at 7:30am, I think that will hurt our attendance, but the addition of the Tottenham supporters (supposedly they're going to bring 5-6) might mean there are ~15 people...which is pretty good at that hour. I'll give the board an update.

Here's a picture of our clan + one random dude in a Newcastle shirt (we weren't even playing them that day lol)
20664587_10155565974866064_52718188332436187_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUdawg
Anyone have a clue what the 27 stands for in this tee, it says Italia 27. It's obviously and soccer shirt. I looked it up and came away with nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT