ADVERTISEMENT

Winston Suspended

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Being reported Bucs are going to suspend him for 3 games for violating personal conduct policy. I am presuming that is from the Uber incident?

Being reported Bucs are going to suspend him for 3 games for violating personal conduct policy. I am presuming that is from the Uber incident?

From failing to promptly report aforementioned Uber incident...the NFL is so knee jerk today...ridiculous.

Reactions: fsUTampa
His mega earnings window is pretty small, and doesn't include much advertising.
He ain't living on the interest yet, taking an Uber is one of his better decisions...

“The Tampa Bay Buccaneers took Winston first overall in the 2015 NFL Draft. On May 1, 2015, Winston signed a four-year, $23.35 million contract with the Buccaneers, with a $16.7 million signing bonus.“

If he can’t hire a limo service for the night than he has problems.....

Reactions: NoleLizards
At worst, Winston is lying. At best, he continues to make really poor choices; in this case, it's who he hangs out with.

smh
Or, the Uber driver is lying looking for a payday. There were others in the car who have said that Jameis was in the back seat and couldn't have done what was accused.

“The Tampa Bay Buccaneers took Winston first overall in the 2015 NFL Draft. On May 1, 2015, Winston signed a four-year, $23.35 million contract with the Buccaneers, with a $16.7 million signing bonus.“

If he can’t hire a limo service for the night than he has problems.....

I’m sure he could. In fact, I’m sure most of the lotto winners that are broke after their last check do.
He hired a driver, issue is how he treated the driver.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Or, the Uber driver is lying looking for a payday. There were others in the car who have said that Jameis was in the back seat and couldn't have done what was accused.

Jameis should have never paid off kinsman that part a target on his back for others to follow her lead.

Criticizing him for calling Uber is ridiculous; they were out of town (IIRC in Arizona appearing at Kurt Warner's football camp), out at night, I'd assume had a few since there were also indications that they were yelling at random people during the ride. In other words, likely drunk. Getting an Uber ride may have been the most mature thing he's ever done.

I do think the suspension is iffy, and certainly a result of the climate we're in today. The incident happened two years ago, no charges filed, no complaint filed, no criminal case, no civil case (so doesn't appear to be a money grab by the driver).

Winston still comes across as very immature. It's not easy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd like to see the NFL deal with more serious issues instead of taking the easy road and exacting punishments for simple offenses.

More than that, I'd like to see Winston grow up, and yes that includes his time at FSU. You can be a leader, fun-loving, and keep your teammates cool without the other crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, he should have gotten a limo.
Those partitions are hard to climb over and do any sort of crotch grabbing.

I agree, he should have gotten a limo.
Those partitions are hard to climb over and do any sort of crotch grabbing.

I'm amused by the faux outrage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy seems to act thoughtlessly too often, both on and off the field. If I were an NFL general manager, I wouldn't bet my franchise on him.
SnoopyScaryBrontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Then why hasn’t she filed a lawsuit? I suppose she could be waiting but this happened 2+ years ago.

The uber driver that made the complaint was later fired for refusing to drive a trans couple and made racist remarks on periscope when she was part of an antifa rally in berkeley.

You mean more serious than an alleged sexual assault? That seems like an appropriate place to draw the line to me.
No, I mean more serious than players who go to clubs and "make it rain". They spend a lot of time and money on things that are for posturing to make the appearance that they care about some notion of integrity...yet avoid many issues that go directly to the league's integrity.

Winston would lose $124,000 in base salary for a three-game suspension because his base salary is only $705,000 this season. His base salary for next season is scheduled to be over $20.9 million, reducing the chance he would consider appealing this three-game suspension.

Winston would lose $124,000 in base salary for a three-game suspension because his base salary is only $705,000 this season. His base salary for next season is scheduled to be over $20.9 million, reducing the chance he would consider appealing this three-game suspension.

Make or break season for him. 20 million usually gets you cut if you are not producing

So the third guy in the car has now been identified. From a public perception standpoint, it is not a good look for Winston and I now see why they weren't naming him from the start. It's a friend of Darby's from high school, who went on to play at Vandy. He's one of the guys from their squad who was convicted in that gang tape a few years ago. At the time of this incident, he was awaiting that trial. His lawyer also now says that they were all together early in the evening, J W was hammered at a bar, so they sent him home alone in an uber of his own. Ouch.

So the third guy in the car has now been identified. From a public perception standpoint, it is not a good look for Winston and I now see why they weren't naming him from the start. It's a friend of Darby's from high school, who went on to play at Vandy. He's one of the guys from their squad who was convicted in that gang tape a few years ago. At the time of this incident, he was awaiting that trial. His lawyer also now says that they were all together early in the evening, J W was hammered at a bar, so they sent him home alone in an uber of his own. Ouch.
5.gif

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Again, Winston is either lying, making really poor decisions, or both. His window of opportunity is closing quickly.

I'd like to see the NFL deal with more serious issues instead of taking the easy road and exacting punishments for simple offenses.

More than that, I'd like to see Winston grow up, and yes that includes his time at FSU. You can be a leader, fun-loving, and keep your teammates cool without the other crap.

This is all part of the NFL prescription for curing its sagging public image. The NFL takes the moral high ground and claims it has a zero tolerance for any manner of insensitivity to women. Lofty rhetoric soars from League headquarters, blah-blah-blah, and no name is too big to escape the rules.

I am not defending Winston at all. His track record confirms he is an idiot. But the NFL actually loved this piece of low-hanging fruit in terms of “confirming its unwavering commitment to the betterment of the community.”

All the while, their cheerleaders dress like there is a pole dancing contest ....

This is all part of the NFL prescription for curing its sagging public image. The NFL takes the moral high ground and claims it has a zero tolerance for any manner of insensitivity to women. Lofty rhetoric soars from League headquarters, blah-blah-blah, and no name is too big to escape the rules.

I am not defending Winston at all. His track record confirms he is an idiot. But the NFL actually loved this piece of low-hanging fruit in terms of “confirming its unwavering commitment to the betterment of the community.”

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Someone needs to have a long sit down with JW. I believed him on the Kinsman thing since the evidence seemed to back him; the crab legs thing - who didn't have a hook up in college; now this hmmm? The thing is if it is a he said/she said with nothing else it seems really unfair to suspend him; which essentially is a pretty hefty fine. If what the accuser has done with the other stuff as well, it is not like she is a star witness.
Agree that this is the NFL trying to do some image building. To be clear JW needs to grow up; but don't see how this suspension stands. If it does then all it would take is for a female to run to the front desk of a team hotel with her shirt ripped and the starting QB is gone for 3 games. JW also really hurts his team that many are expecting a break out year from. NO, Philly and Pittsburg for your 1st three games is hard enough with your starter.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT