ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NBA Playoffs-

5th pick this year. Do y’all do a big lottery draft party down on Church St? Must be tiresome after so many years.
tenor.gif

Kobe isn’t the player LeBron is. The only argument people have for that is 5 rings but Shaq was the best player on 3 of those teams. MJ and Kobe also never had to play against a machine like Golden State. Cleveland last year was good enough to win a title but they came up against an all time great team.

It’s because MJs teams were the machine. I’d bet the MJ led Bulls still beat the Warriors. Would be great to see them play each other.

It’s because MJs teams were the machine. I’d bet the MJ led Bulls still beat the Warriors. Would be great to see them play each other.
I don't agree with that at all. I don't think even the 72 win Bulls teams would have been much of a match for GS last year. The other 2 teams struggled to get past the old ass Utah Jazz.

What is the deal with Toronto? They remind me somewhat of the Atlanta Hawks from a few years ago— best record in the east but couldn’t get past Cleveland.. except there is some star power with Lowry and DeRozan on the raptors. They always seem to struggle...
down 1-0 after last night.
Lebron has a triple double....

What is the deal with Toronto? They remind me somewhat of the Atlanta Hawks from a few years ago— best record in the east but couldn’t get past Cleveland.. except there is some star power with Lowry and DeRozan on the raptors. They always seem to struggle...
down 1-0 after last night.
Lebron has a triple double....
I just don't think Lebron, at his age, can carry this team to 16 wins. If some how he does, the spin from his detractors will be fun to read.

Cavs should not have won this game with no game plan and no rest and LeBron with an off shooting night. Finally gets a team performance, maybe Cavs are starting to believe in themselves a bit. I was surprised this Raptors team struggled late, but series is far from over. Big win though for Cavs who should play better Thursday.

I just don't think Lebron, at his age, can carry this team to 16 wins. If some how he does, the spin from his detractors will be fun to read.

You won’t find a bigger Lebron fan than me. I just don’t see any way possible how they reach 16 wins. This team that he’s on right now is just not that good. They MIGHT be able to reach the finals. But Houston or golden state will roll them.

That being said if he somehow pulls it off, reading stuff from his detractors will be pure gold

It was a nice win by Jazz, and the most fascinating play in sports is the Harden off dribble pull up jumper, that refs are paralyzed and in awe of.

Harden does it 15 times a game, like a cheat code.

The play: Harden takes a dribble with his right hand to his right, then pushes off the defenders stomach with his left(like Jordan on Russell) then crosses ball from right hand a Few feet backwards to left hand, then travels and takes a big step back and shoots the jumper, Then flails his arm and a leg while he shoots to be sure a foul is called if it doesn't go in.
So on most of Hardens off dribble jump shots we get: an offensive foul, a travel and a flop. Its mind boggling and it won't stop until refs stop protecting him, I don’t blame Harden as he’s running the officils. He committed a dozen fouls last night but never picked up his 6th. Its fascinating

It was a nice win by Jazz, and the most fascinating play in sports is the Harden off dribble pull up jumper, that refs are paralyzed and in awe of.

Harden does it 15 times a game, like a cheat code.

The play: Harden takes a dribble with his right hand to his right, then pushes off the defenders stomach with his left(like Jordan on Russell) then crosses ball from right hand a Few feet backwards to left hand, then travels and takes a big step back and shoots the jumper, Then flails his arm and a leg while he shoots to be sure a foul is called if it doesn't go in.
So on most of Hardens off dribble jump shots we get: an offensive foul, a travel and a flop. Its mind boggling and it won't stop until refs stop protecting him, I don’t blame Harden as he’s running the officils. He committed a dozen fouls last night but never picked up his 6th. Its fascinating

You know that's not a travel right? Its called a stepback.

The only scenario in which Cleveland could beat GS is if both Curry and Durant go down.

No one SHOULD beat a healthy Warriors. Its the stupidest lineup in 40 years, that team should win 7 straight titles. Durant killed any nba drama since he couldn’t beat anyone without 3 other all stars.

No one SHOULD beat a healthy Warriors. Its the stupidest lineup in 40 years, that team should win 7 straight titles. Durant killed any nba drama since he couldn’t beat anyone without 3 other all stars.

I really like KD but he totally copped out joining GSW. OKC lost Game 6 two years ago due to KD's poor game & then flees. Imagine Jordan signing with Pistons in 1989.

I really like KD but he totally copped out joining GSW. OKC lost Game 6 two years ago due to KD's poor game & then flees. Imagine Jordan signing with Pistons in 1989.
This is why I think what Dirk did was amazing. He took down Kobe's Lakers in a sweep, Durant and Westbrook in 5 games followed by Bron, Wade and Bosh in 6 games. Very underrated performance considering the alliances of players joining teams.

And he did not have near the stars supporting him at the time. What did he have? An aged Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler and Jason Terry.

Why is it a cop-out? He picked winning over (slightly) less money or being a one man show/stat king.

OKC had Westbrook and enough team talent to go up 3-1 on GSW, he wasn't a one man show by any means. KD played awful at home in Game 6, he should have stayed to finish the job. A league MVP in his prime(KD) doesn't leave to play with another league MVP in his prime(Curry).

Reactions: GwinnettNole
A league MVP in his prime(KD) doesn't leave to play with another league MVP in his prime(Curry).
Why not? It is his choice and will be a part of his legacy of not being able to win one without having joined other superstars. I don't agree with the mentality but it certainly is his choice and should be allowed. A recent precedent was already set with KD, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Followed by Lebron, Wade and Bosh. Then Carmelo, Paul George and Westbrook and Lebron, Kyrie and Love. It is happening all over now. While it may not be my mentality or yours, it is many in the current players playing. So by all means let it happen.

What he did was not any more of a copout then what Lebron did when he joined Miami with Bosh. Then not going back to Cleveland until they had Kyrie then once he got there having them also add Kevin Love.
You can’t honestly compare those Heat teams to these Warriors? That’s silly,Wade lost his legs and Bosh was putting up 0s in game 7s, and the Cavs with Kyrie had done what? They were garbage, Kyrie couldn’t win anything being the best player before Lebron arrived. But again its 3 good players in Miami and Cleveland vs 4 of the 10–12 best in league on Warriors, including two in prime MVPs. Its not close and has never been done before.

Reactions: Ohio1nole
Why is it a cop-out? He picked winning over (slightly) less money or being a one man show/stat king.

IMO these guys that have formed super teams via free agency is just doing it wrong (for the fan). It takes away the drama and fun when top stars do this. KD wasn’t the first- it started with Boston (Garnet, Pierce, Allen), raised its ugly head with Miami (LBJ, Wade and Bosh). Did MJ ever join with Barkley or Ewing?

OKC had Westbrook and enough team talent to go up 3-1 on GSW, he wasn't a one man show by any means. KD played awful at home in Game 6, he should have stayed to finish the job. A league MVP in his prime(KD) doesn't leave to play with another league MVP in his prime(Curry).

This

IMO these guys that have formed super teams via free agency is just doing it wrong (for the fan). It takes away the drama and fun when top stars do this.
Oh, definitely agreed. But you can't knock KD for doing it if he wants to win.

Did MJ ever join with Barkley or Ewing?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why MJ is the GOAT.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
Oh, definitely agreed. But you can't knock KD for doing it if he wants to win.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why MJ is the GOAT.
Uh, Jordan was winning- it would have been Ewing or Barkley who would have had to move to get a crown, and neither did.

You can’t honestly compare those Heat teams to these Warriors? That’s silly,Wade lost his legs and Bosh was putting up 0s in game 7s, and the Cavs with Kyrie had done what? They were garbage, Kyrie couldn’t win anything being the best player before Lebron arrived. But again its 3 good players in Miami and Cleveland vs 4 of the 10–12 best in league on Warriors, including two in prime MVPs. Its not close and has never been done before.
The concept of joining other superstars was absolutely done before. He got 1 upped. Cry me a river. KD just joined more super stars. He out Lebronned Lebron. It will hurt KDs legacy just like LeBron's will be hurt from doing it when comparing to Jordan or even Kobe. And to say a superstar can't do it without joining forces with another superstar. Dirk says hello!

Wow... Toronto has to blow up this team and start over after they get swept out of 2nd round. No life in this team during second half

The concept of joining other superstars was absolutely done before. He got 1 upped. Cry me a river. KD just joined more super stars. He out Lebronned Lebron. It will hurt KDs legacy just like LeBron's will be hurt from doing it when comparing to Jordan or even Kobe. And to say a superstar can't do it without joining forces with another superstar. Dirk says hello!
It's not going to hurt their legacy with the younger generation who know nothing but players moving from team to team. Much like the old baseball fans who decried free agency post Kurt Flood.

I wonder if you feel the same way about Free switching jobs recently or if you keep your disdain for athletes.

It's not going to hurt their legacy with the younger generation who know nothing but players moving from team to team. Much like the old baseball fans who decried free agency post Kurt Flood.

I wonder if you feel the same way about Free switching jobs recently or if you keep your disdain for athletes.
When compared to Jordan, it will hurt them and it should. I don't care that they do it or did it. Many of them are doing it. But to say KD did it and knock him for it but say Lebron didn't do it i think is ludicrous. They both did it. They both got at least 1 championship doing it. No disdain for them doing that. See above. Just because I prefer them not to do that doesn't mean I disdain them for it. I like KG and he did it. I was no fan of Jordan but have no problem saying he was the GOAT. I don't care for Lebron but have no issues saying he is one of the best of all time.

Ainge has done a phenomenal job of protecting assets , drafting and getting players, but the thievery he committed getting a pick and Jayson Tatum might be his best deal.

When compared to Jordan, it will hurt them and it should. I don't care that they do it or did it. Many of them are doing it. But to say KD did it and knock him for it but say Lebron didn't do it i think is ludicrous. They both did it. They both got at least 1 championship doing it. No disdain for them doing that. See above. Just because I prefer them not to do that doesn't mean I disdain them for it. I like KG and he did it. I was no fan of Jordan but have no problem saying he was the GOAT. I don't care for Lebron but have no issues saying he is one of the best of all time.
West duval,
It has no bearing on MJ comparison. MJ and kobe and Magic won the lottery by pure luck. What if MJ was drafted by Cleveland? Haha. Bulls, Lakers and those teams and coaches? Bulls getting an all time monster Pippen and Phil Jackson? Lakers didn’t need Kobe and won titles. Imho it helps Lebron to look at his teams and coaches in comparison. Why woukd MJ or Kobe leave the best situations of the decade? Would Curry leave his lucky Warriors situation? Nope. Would Tim Duncan leave Pop? Nooe. 100% lucky drafting

Uh, Jordan was winning- it would have been Ewing or Barkley who would have had to move to get a crown, and neither did.

Prior to 1991.... after being beat to a pulp by the pistons in 89 and 90 he could of done the modern day thing of teaming up with Ewing or Barkley.... or hell maybe even Larry Bird (give Larry one more chance).

Now if any of those three happened and he wins six championships wouldn’t it lessen what he actually did? It would for me. Reason why he goes down as the GOAT. He didn’t need to do that....

Reactions: West Duval Nole
West duval,
It has no bearing on MJ comparison. MJ and kobe and Magic won the lottery by pure luck. What if MJ was drafted by Cleveland? Haha. Bulls, Lakers and those teams and coaches? Bulls getting an all time monster Pippen and Phil Jackson? Lakers didn’t need Kobe and won titles. Imho it helps Lebron to look at his teams and coaches in comparison. Why woukd MJ or Kobe leave the best situations of the decade? Would Curry leave his lucky Warriors situation? Nope. Would Tim Duncan leave Pop? Nooe. 100% lucky drafting
Can you imagine if Lebron was drafted by the spurs...

West duval,
It has no bearing on MJ comparison. MJ and kobe and Magic won the lottery by pure luck. What if MJ was drafted by Cleveland? Haha. Bulls, Lakers and those teams and coaches? Bulls getting an all time monster Pippen and Phil Jackson? Lakers didn’t need Kobe and won titles. Imho it helps Lebron to look at his teams and coaches in comparison. Why would MJ or Kobe leave the best situations of the decade? Would Curry leave his lucky Warriors situation? Nope. Would Tim Duncan leave Pop? Nooe. 100% lucky drafting

Little bit of over-simplification in there.

Tim Duncan did almost leave Pop and the Spurs for Orlando in 2000. Pop was also not a guarantee when he started.

The Bulls were trash until Phil Jackson and Pippen joined the team. Also, I'd say Pippen was lucky he landed on Bulls. I am not one of those who think Pippen would have been great as the #1 on a team.

I do get what you're saying. Yes, luck plays into it. But once you leave a team via free agency, that takes luck out of the equation, as you're taking fate of team that drafted you out of the picture.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
but the thievery he committed getting a pick and Jayson Tatum might be his best deal.

The Nets might think different, or the Cavs. Ainge trading down to #3 and getting Sacremento's pick next year as well as Tatum was brilliant, it could land them one of these 5 Duke studs coming in to add another young star to the team. The C's would have taken Tatum #1. Jaylen Brown has developed above expectations this year, and with Tatum, Irving, Horford, Rozier, a healthy Gordon Haywood and a few other key bench players, Boston will be deep next year and have a legitimate shot at beating a healthy GSW.

Reactions: NoleinATL
As someone who grew up loving the NBA through the Celtics/Lakers rivalry (was HUGE Celtics fan), through Jordan and the Bulls ascension, my take on this debate is MJ is just a different animal than Lebron. MJ was the ultimate alpha. It wasn't a question. He didn't go play with someone else. You came to play with him. And because he was such an alpha, no other alpha types could really play with him. Phil Jackson and Jerry Krauss built the Bulls around Jordan, drafting Pippen and Grant (who is being WAY under-valued here), and adding complementary pieces like Cartwright or Rodman or Ron Harper when they could. Pippen was a late bloomer who played at tiny Central Arkansas, which I think was NAIA. He was a total diamond in the rough when he was drafted by Seattle and then traded to Chicago. He had great athletic ability but was not an alpha like Jordan. He grew into an excellent all-around player, but I don't think he would have had a HOF career had he not landed in Chicago. I think being part of the Bulls dynasty has added to his mythology a bit. As far as Lebron or Durant going to play with other stars, that's where I have to place these guys on a level below MJ. Lebron essentially went to Miami to be D-Wade's side-kick. He accepted that since Wade was the man there already. Eventually he eclipsed Wade as the leader, but he was very deferential at the start. Maybe that is a good thing as a human being, but as the ultimate NBA superstar? Not so much, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT