ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon HQ2

Bless your heart. Don't feel sorry for me. There are folks out there who are getting these sheltered educations, not exposed to ideas or people starkly different from themselves, feel sorry for those people.

My experience was fantastic, life shaping, and a heck of a lot of fun. Sure I woke up a bit earlier than normal but I was home by 430p and most days we got about an hour of bball in at school after classes ended, which is basically any kid's dream.

I also had a ton of homework, actually started college with enough credits to be a Soph, so my class load was not a walk in the park but still managed to have a pretty good bit of spare time (certainly enough to play video games, some more bball on the driveway, consume more than a healthy amount of TV, etc...)

I wasn't the subject of any federal government experiments, which is too bad b/c it was a great experiment and I do believe in federal control of education. It was a county program after the era of desegregation, in fact right in the heart of the re-segregation era, which I suppose continues to this day.

As for the navel gazing about kids of married families and families with dads, yadda yadda yadda, that's not only judgmental but useless and counterproductive. The reality is families are of all sizes and types, if we can't evolve our education system to keep up then we're going to fall behind, and it's not that hard to evolve - we choose not to in order to thumb our noses at our own history. You and your kids, me and mine, don't live in a vacuum. We share a country, economy, and basically everything else outside our houses - so it's in all of our personal best interest to make sure everyone is getting some good learning in.

I am all for a full blown shake up of school zones, reallocation of teachers in schools, and federalization of the education system, with maybe some marginal wiggle room at the state level. Many states, northern included, have now proven for the second time that they're incapable of administering a fair public education system. No other country fools around with this stuff at a local level, math is math, literature is literature, science is most certainly science, PE is PE, spanish is spanish -- it's no wonder our costs are so high and outcomes so poor.
I assumed you were referring to the IB program at Rickards.

The next generation will say, "why would I want to work and live in this mess when I can accomplish the same while living in a peaceful suburban/rural settings?". The future message board will quickly champion such ideas and quickly surmise that living in mass urban housing units is akin to rats being crammed in a cage.

Someone mentioned commutes earlier in the thread and it got me thinking how different those will be for future generations with self driving options.
If you told me I had to be alone two hours a day, that doesn't sound so
Also, they get pissed if you laugh at their mindless hour long commute

Are self driving cars going to push up demand for the suburbs and beyond?
I think it would for me.

Someone mentioned commutes earlier in the thread and it got me thinking how different those will be for future generations with self driving options.
If you told me I had to be alone two hours a day, that doesn't sound so

Are self driving cars going to push up demand for the suburbs and beyond?
I think it would for me.
It doesn’t really matter who/what drives if you are on the road for two hours a day does it? Sure you could read/sleep/browse/eat or whatever during that time, but the expense and lost/unpaid time would still be there, right?
I have commuted 30 miles each way for the last 14 years and the thrill is gone.

Reactions: squiffynole
It doesn’t really matter who/what drives if you are on the road for two hours a day does it? Sure you could read/sleep/browse/eat or whatever during that time, but the expense and lost/unpaid time would still be there, right?

I think I'd pay for two more hours of 'free time' to read, browse, eat or nap each day.

I have commuted 30 miles each way for the last 14 years and the thrill is gone.

I think it may be looked at differently when everyone has a chauffeur, but I agree right now it's just a time sink that you're trading off for something else.

I think I'd pay for two more hours of 'free time' to read, browse, eat or nap each day.

I think it may be looked at differently when everyone has a chauffeur, but I agree right now it's just a time sink that you're trading off for something else.
I think I get what you’re saying, but don’t you live out Miccosoukee Road? Surely you don’t travel 30 miles one way for work, do you?
I don’t wanna spend a lot of unpaid time traveling to and fro work anymore, no matter who or what is driving.

I assumed you were referring to the IB program at Rickards.

Couldn't be. Those schools are 9 miles apart, so you could probably walk there in 90 minutes with a 45 pound plate on your back and no water.

That school isn't even ranked. Who would do that to their kid?

I think I get what you’re saying, but don’t you live out Miccosoukee Road? Surely you don’t travel 30 miles one way for work, do you?

Off Buck Lake Rd.
My commute is 15 min. no traffic, 25 min during rush hour. 9 miles I think.
But I like my backyard, and the 800 acre park that is behind it with 17 miles of trails. I'd rather walk there than to a grocery store, so I'm good with the trade off.

I don’t wanna spend a lot of unpaid time traveling to and fro work anymore, no matter who or what is driving.

As it stands no one pays me to read now, I just don't have as much time for it. With a chauffeur I could do paid work while riding, but I get that wouldn't be the case for everyone.
I just see self driving cars giving people back time they're losing, and changing attitudes about travel in general. Everyone would already prefer their commute wasn't mindless, just watch what they're watching instead of the road.

Reactions: squiffynole
They used the rest of the country as a stalking horse. Didn't see that coming. Limousine capitalists ;-/

What taxpayer incentives will Amazon get?
This is a billion-dollar question — or more. While some states made their incentive packages public (New Jersey and Maryland offered more than $5 billion each), Virginia and New York have kept theirs secret.

States, cities and counties often run their own incentive programs, each with different requirements. New York State, for example, provides tax credits to employers that move to certain parts of boroughs beyond Manhattan. Many experts expect large deals like this to come with offerings that would require state legislative approval. Usually they involve little public debate. After just a 10-minute public comment period, Apple got $213 million in state and local incentives to build a data center in Iowa, according to The Des Moines Register.

New York offered potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies, according to a person briefed on the process.

While Virginia has a reputation for being business friendly, it is not known for particularly outsize incentive programs. Greg LeRoy, executive director of Good Jobs First, which tracks corporate subsidies, said he expected that the legislature would pass a larger package just for Amazon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/technology/amazon-hq2-know.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

They used the rest of the country as a stalking horse. Didn't see that coming. Limousine capitalists ;-/

What taxpayer incentives will Amazon get?
This is a billion-dollar question — or more. While some states made their incentive packages public (New Jersey and Maryland offered more than $5 billion each), Virginia and New York have kept theirs secret.

States, cities and counties often run their own incentive programs, each with different requirements. New York State, for example, provides tax credits to employers that move to certain parts of boroughs beyond Manhattan. Many experts expect large deals like this to come with offerings that would require state legislative approval. Usually they involve little public debate. After just a 10-minute public comment period, Apple got $213 million in state and local incentives to build a data center in Iowa, according to The Des Moines Register.

New York offered potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies, according to a person briefed on the process.

While Virginia has a reputation for being business friendly, it is not known for particularly outsize incentive programs. Greg LeRoy, executive director of Good Jobs First, which tracks corporate subsidies, said he expected that the legislature would pass a larger package just for Amazon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/technology/amazon-hq2-know.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
This was clearly a maneuver to get regions to compete against each other to drive up the value of the incentives.

The reality is only a very small number of regions have the capacity (workforce, housing, infrastructure) to absorb a behemoth like Amazon.

Reactions: RTM58
This was clearly a maneuver to get regions to compete against each other to drive up the value of the incentives

Boo crony-capitalism and anti-competitive practices like this.
Guaranteed the same politicians will turn around and decry the monopoly they help entrench...

Reactions: RTM58
Well, it's official > Amazon picks NYC and NVA.

They also took advantage of all the free data and analysis provided by competing regions to lay out broader expansion plans, including this Eastern hub in Nashville.

Well played, Amazon.
A few takes:

- as a new yorker, i hate this. city shouldn't be giving tax breaks to amzn. rents will go up, already crumbling / packed mta and streets will become even further overburdened. cost for startups to hire developers will increase dramatically.

- got to smirk and shake your head at amzn putting 238 cities through the paces, many spent good money bain/bcg-esque consulting firms to assemble what they thought were competitive bids. money diverted from schools, infrastructure, parks, drug counseling, etc... now amzn basically has a list of how much desperation every major american city is in, and how much corporate benefit they can extract for future shipping centers, etc...

- rich just get richer, all these decent smaller cities like atl, nashville, etc... thought they had a chance. amzn could have been a difference maker but nope. nyc it is, a city already packed with high paying jobs, a city where folks might not even notice amzn if not for an explosion in rents around LIC/Astoria (not to mention likely destroying neighborhood culture in areas like jackson heights) and of course more overcrowding on the 7 train.

I have fewer thoughts on NOVA. Was def hoping amzn would land in a current or future swing state.

Amazon selected New York City and Arlington, Virginia, as sites for the online retailer’s second and apparently third headquarters, ending a year-long search for a project the company says will produce 50,000 jobs and more than $5 billion in capital spending. In a twist, the company said it is also putting an operations center in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Seattle-based company, the world’s biggest online retailer, said it chose the Long Island City neighborhood in New York and the Crystal City section of Arlington, across the river from Washington, D.C., to gain access to a skilled workforce.

“These two locations will allow us to attract world-class talent that will help us to continue inventing for customers for years to come," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon, said in a statement.

The competition galvanized efforts around economic development in each of the cities, sending officials scrambling to rezone potential sites and create incentives packages to attract Amazon’s attention. At $8.5 billion in Maryland and $7 billion in the state of New Jersey, those two states are among the cities that offered the most.

The selection of Crystal City is within roughly six miles of founder and Chief Executive Jeffrey P. Bezos’ $23 million mansion in Washington, D.C., which he purchased in the Kalorama section of D.C. in October 2017. It’s also in the same area as The Washington Post Co., which Bezos purchased for $250 million in 2013. That region was the only area with three of the 20 finalists.

Amazon said its operations center in Nashville will have 5,000 full-time, high-paying jobs; $230 million in investments; 1 million square feet of office space; and an estimated incremental tax revenue of more than $1 billion over the next 10 years.

The retailer said it will receive performance-based direct incentives of up to $102 million based on the company creating 5,000 jobs with an average wage of more than $150,000 in Nashville.

Long Island City, part of New York City's Queens borough, is enticing because it is close to air and highway transportation, has millions of square feet of available land, and more than 15 percent of its office space is now empty, say brokers, developers and analysts. It's also about four miles from Bezos' luxury condos at 25 Central Park West in Manhattan.

The neighborhood offers various options for Amazon's project, known as HQ2, whether it builds, buys or rents, brokers and developers said. Of four neighborhood sites submitted to Seattle-based Amazon, they explained, Long Island City edges out the other three proposed New York sites -- Midtown West, Manhattan's financial district and downtown Brooklyn -- because it's closer to New York airports and major transportation thoroughfares and has less commercial property density.

Among drawbacks cited before the selection of Long Island City, analysts had said New York could have trouble competing with other cities that have lower costs of living and a lower-paid, non-union construction labor force.

So they get ($8b+$7.5b) $15.5b and create $5b in capital spending....Hmmm.

#MONEYTALKS

Last edited:
Hasn’t been announced, but was told its Washington/ N Virgina area.

Supposedly Bezos is already building, or has bought a home in the area.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to.../news/amp9234/jeff-bezos-house-washington-dc/

Executives do not chose locations because they are building a house in the area, it has to meet certain criteria, so I disagree with DC.

The selection of Crystal City is within roughly six miles of founder and Chief Executive Jeffrey P. Bezos’ $23 million mansion in Washington, D.C., which he purchased in the Kalorama section of D.C. in October 2017

Sayin, just sayin :)

My cousin and her family live in Crystal City. The area is very unhappy.
Not a lot of positive vibes for amzn in nyc either.

If you cousin happens to own, could be good for her personally. If not it’ll be the opposite of good.

The selection of Crystal City is within roughly six miles of founder and Chief Executive Jeffrey P. Bezos’ $23 million mansion in Washington, D.C., which he purchased in the Kalorama section of D.C. in October 2017

Sayin, just sayin :)

If you went by the RFP, Crystal City does not meet the requirements which is why I disagreed with that selection. They have tons of tech talent, but fitting 50k employees on a strange part of the DC metro, with a high COL, does not really meet what the RFP implied. It's a suburban area, and they stated they wanted to be transformative, like they were with Seattle's downtown area. Just because it says in some article that Bezo's has a house there, does not mean that's the reason they selected that area. The main reason was the amount of incent provided (billions), readily available CRE (5 million sq ft), and infrastructure in place to handle 25k extra workers, but you keep thinking it was that $23mil mansion....

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
If you went by the RFP, Crystal City does not meet the requirements which is why I disagreed with that selection. They have tons of tech talent, but fitting 50k employees on a strange part of the DC metro, with a high COL, does not really meet what the RFP implied. It's a suburban area, and they stated they wanted to be transformative, like they were with Seattle's downtown area. Just because it says in some article that Bezo's has a house there, does not mean that's the reason they selected that area. The main reason was the amount of incent provided (billions), readily available CRE (5 million sq ft), and infrastructure in place to handle 25k extra workers, but you keep thinking it was that $23mil mansion....

Yeah...BUT...you thought no CEO would choose HQ2 where they bought their house; however, CEOs do build homes where their headquarters are located, or going to be in this case :)

I've never thought of Crystal City as suburban. It even has "city" in it's name.

CC1-825.png

Reactions: Wendy79
I've never thought of Crystal City as suburban. It even has "city" in it's name.

I will readily admit, my definition of suburban is different than most. I feel the Buckhead neighborhood here in Atlanta is suburban, but most people would disagree. Suburban is not the city core, not built on a grid, and was connected to transit via a commuter line or an extension of a line.

Not a lot of positive vibes for amzn in nyc either.

If you cousin happens to own, could be good for her personally. If not it’ll be the opposite of good.

They own. Property values are probably their least concern. Their neighborhood is great...they don't want that to change.

And you realize this is practically the equivalent of telling a woman she should smile more, though I'm sure you see nothing wrong with doing that.

The Amazon hub in Nashville is reported to bring 5,000 jobs at an average salary of $150K. I find that really hard to believe.

If true it's going to have an immediate and significant impact on the higher end housing market.

The last 3 weeks: CBD oil on dogs (positive experience!), a brief post about pot smoke, Chicago recommendations, bot flies, 2 posts about a shooting, a (positive!!) post about my cousin's experience using a P2P car rental, a couple about the CA fires, stating I'd prefer to not date someone who uses sex robots, and stating I didn't have sex with a teacher.

Oh, the weight of negativity must be unbearable.

The last 3 weeks: CBD oil on dogs (positive experience!), a brief post about pot smoke, Chicago recommendations, bot flies, 2 posts about a shooting, a (positive!!) post about my cousin's experience using a P2P car rental, a couple about the CA fires, stating I'd prefer to not date someone who uses sex robots, and stating I didn't have sex with a teacher.

Oh, the weight of negativity must be unbearable.

Most likely a latent response to the Where's the Beef campaign from the Eighties.

Hmmm...2 massive presence right across the rivers from...Washington DC and Wall Street. Yeah, no ulterior motives there.

I always perceived @Wendy79 as more of a voice of reason, a pragmatist. To be honest, I'm surprised Ronnie was able to bait her into responding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT