ADVERTISEMENT

Braves 2018

I have his signed autograph from a spring training game in Tampa years ago in which he homered. We were leaving as the team bus pulled out. As it stopped for traffic, we just stuck programs at the bus windows and he happened to grab mine and signed it. I keep it in my safe deposit box; a cherished memento.

I know, CSB. You should hear how I got Stan Musial's, or my signed picture shaking hands with Mickey Mantle.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
What a great interview with Henry Aaron on the ESPN broadcast tonight. I feel badly for those of you too young to have watched him play.

It was most likely his final season with the Braves and my dad took my brother and myself to see him play. I was either 8 or 9 at that time and we both brought our gloves. I don't know who hit the foul ball towards us, possibly Hank, but my brother moved over a few feet and stood there with plenty of time to catch the ball which was coming right for him. Suddenly a thundering herd of people, memory pictures 40 but more likely 4 or 5 some of which were adults, came flying over him knocking the ball away right before he got his prized trophy. He was so very pissed off the rest of the game. I'm sure my laughing for several innings after he had faced such a great injustice didn't help the situation but that is what little brothers do.

I don't recall much of Hank's play that day. I was an eating machine and Dad wanted to pay attention to the game. Keeping me fed was the easiest way to keep both of us happy. But more than the pro players, large crowds, or the ball park food was the every lasting memory of my big brother getting run over by a mob, a memory I have brought up many years later at family gatherings. Maybe I tell the story to see if he has forgiven those that have harmed him so long ago or maybe I want to see that spark of anger in his eyes once again because that is what little brothers do.

Nice work by Soroka today ... 2-0 win against the Mets. Once again Degrom pitches welll for the Mets but gets no run support from his teammates. Anyone think he might be traded?

Reactions: minvikfan1
Nice work by Soroka today ... 2-0 win against the Mets. Once again Degrom pitches welll for the Mets but gets no run support from his teammates. Anyone think he might be traded?
Sports Center had a piece on the lack of run support Degrom gets. It's nuts! He has a sub 2 era but the Mets are 5-9 in his starts. You would think that it would get in his head eventually.

Standings on June 15, 2017
29 :D
36 :(
10.5 games behind Washington

Standings on June 15, 2018
40 :D
28 :(
1.5 game lead in the NL east

What a difference a year makes.
Quite a turnaround! When does Acuna matata again?

Sports Center had a piece on the lack of run support Degrom gets. It's nuts! He has a sub 2 era but the Mets are 5-9 in his starts. You would think that it would get in his head eventually.

I would love for the Braves to make a move for him, would compliment the unexpected surge from Folty well. Either way they're going to need to shore up that pitching rotation before the playoffs if they're still in contention.

I would love for the Braves to make a move for him, would compliment the unexpected surge from Folty well. Either way they're going to need to shore up that pitching rotation before the playoffs if they're still in contention.

That's a hard divisional trade to make and would especially depend on the prospects NY demands. Plus, DeGrom is in the last year of his contract.

Reactions: WRWnole85
Braves face Blue Jays, only on Facebook today
Veteran hurlers having strong seasons set to face off in Toronto

By Manny Randhawa MLB.com @MannyOnMLB
12:00 AM EDT

• This week, Major League Baseball offers fans another unique viewing experience with the continuation of its digital-only broadcasts. Today's Braves-Blue Jays matchup will stream live in the United States exclusively on Facebook. The finale of the two-game Interleague series at Rogers Centre is one of 25 streaming broadcasts scheduled for 2018 as part of MLB's partnership with Facebook.

Fans can catch the 12:37 p.m. ET contest by logging onto Facebook's MLB Live page from their phones, tablets, smart TVs or other streaming devices. MLB Network will produce the game, with play-by-play announcer Scott Braun; analysts Mark DeRosa and J.P. Arencibia; and in-game reporter Alexa Datt. DeRosa had a 16-year MLB career that included seven seasons with the Braves from 1998-2004. Arencibia was a catcher for the Blue Jays from 2010-13.

How to watch on mobile and desktop
Desktop
1. Search for "MLB Live" on Facebook
2. Follow the "MLB Live" show page

Mobile
1. Download the Facebook video app on your TV or streaming device and search for "MLB Live"
2. Or stream the game from your phone to a TV on the same WiFi network by tapping the TV icon.

43 :D
29 :(

Braves make biggest leap in Power Rankings
Atlanta jumps from 9th to 4th thanks to its mighty offense

Biggest jump:

The Braves jumped five spots, from No. 9 to No. 4. Atlanta, tops in the NL in OPS (.756) and slugging (.428), has relied on that offense during a stretch in which its pitching is being tested. The Braves scored 56 runs over their past 10 games but also allowed 43, and now they may be without their closer, Arodys Vizcaino (sore shoulder) for a period of time. The upcoming series with the Reds should be a good one -- Cincinnati, six games over .500 since May 8, is coming off a four-game sweep of the Cubs.

4. Braves (9)

Atlanta is proving to be a major player in the NL East and, three months into the season, should no longer be presumed to be weaker than the Nationals based solely on last year's standings. What's impressive is that the young Braves are going through growing pains while maintaining their place among the elite teams. Still, if proof is needed that baseball is indeed a long season, consider this: Atlanta's rotation, entering the finale with the Orioles on Sunday, had allowed 16 runs over 21 1/3 innings over four games, but in their previous six, had allowed just two runs over 36 innings.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-make-biggest-leap-in-power-rankings/c-282801964

Reactions: NoleLizards
The Braves need to be giving Sam Freeman his walking papers today.
Yeah I'm done with him. Looked at the box score and asked my wife who lost the game for us today? She didn't watch the game and even said Sam Freeman. I have no trust in him. Very tough dropping these last two series at home. We had a chance to distance ourselves in the division and couldn't do it. Now we have arguably the toughest stretch of our schedule up next

Tonight will be the 81st game of the season. Who here expected the Braves to be at least 11 over .500 and in first place at the halfway point of the season?

200.gif

Odd situation here with Luke Weaver pitching for the Cards. I want to see him do well, obviously.

Stats at the midpoint of the season.

47 :D - 34 :( .580
Up 3 on the Phillies
Up 5 on the Nationals
23-17 Home 24-17 Road
27-14 vs NL East (Phillies 14-17 Nats 13-15)
8-6 vs NL Central (Phillies 15-8 Nats 7-0)
7-9 vs NL West (Phillies 9-8 Nats 13-16)
5-5 vs American League (Phillies 6-4 Nats 9-8)

Team Stats - NL Rank

BA - .262 - 2nd
Runs - 407 - 2nd
2B - 171 - 1st
HR - 91 - 8th
SO - 635 - 14th

ERA - 3.68 - 6th
WHIP - 1.28 - 6th
Runs Allowed - 326 - 5th
HR Allowed - 78 - 3rd
BB - 316 - 13th

Any way you look at it, the first half of the year has been a tremendous success. The Baby Braves have been a lot of fun to watch. The playoffs are not out of the question for a team that I hoped would finish .500.

Stats at the midpoint of the season.

47 :D - 34 :( .580
Up 3 on the Phillies
Up 5 on the Nationals
23-17 Home 24-17 Road
27-14 vs NL East (Phillies 14-17 Nats 13-15)
8-6 vs NL Central (Phillies 15-8 Nats 7-0)
7-9 vs NL West (Phillies 9-8 Nats 13-16)
5-5 vs American League (Phillies 6-4 Nats 9-8)

Team Stats - NL Rank

BA - .262 - 2nd
Runs - 407 - 2nd
2B - 171 - 1st
HR - 91 - 8th
SO - 635 - 14th

ERA - 3.68 - 6th
WHIP - 1.28 - 6th
Runs Allowed - 326 - 5th
HR Allowed - 78 - 3rd
BB - 316 - 13th

Any way you look at it, the first half of the year has been a tremendous success. The Baby Braves have been a lot of fun to watch. The playoffs are not out of the question for a team that I hoped would finish .500.
Nice post! Max Fried was awesome last night! He clearly has the stuff, it would be great if he joined the rotation. I would take him over Brandon McCarthy even though I know Max has consistency issues. A future rotation of Newcomb, Folty, Soroka, Allard and Toussaint or Fried is nice!

Nice post! Max Fried was awesome last night! He clearly has the stuff, it would be great if he joined the rotation. I would take him over Brandon McCarthy even though I know Max has consistency issues. A future rotation of Newcomb, Folty, Soroka, Allard and Toussaint or Fried is nice!
First time I've seen the kid pitch...What a future!

If they can keep up their road pace, they may be a lock for the division title. 7 over on the road is seriously good.
This is a different feeling for me now as a long-time Braves fan. Back in the day, we had veteran squads that were supposed to win, and if they didn't win it all (which unfortunately was almost always the case), I was hugely disappointed. Now seeing these talented youngsters growing up together elicits entirely different emotions...Kind of like seeing my kids succeeding and feeling so proud of them.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
MLB.Network just had an interview with Newcomb and Minter. Enjoyed watching it until one of the guys had to bring up Fisher (Minter went to Texas A&M). I can't even watch MLB.Network without his name being mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
Braves expect Arodys Vizcaino back Monday

945946548.JPG

June 30, 2018
By

ST. LOUIS —
Braves closer Arodys Vizcaino is nearing a return after he was placed on the 10-day disabled list with shoulder inflammation June 24 (retroactive to June 21).

Vizcaino threw a side session Saturday afternoon and likely will receive a rest day before rejoining the club Monday against the Yankees in New York.

“I don’t know that it’ll be tomorrow or Monday that we get him back,” manager Brian Snitker said. “Probably, if he throws a good side today, we’ll give him a recovery day and shoot for Monday.”

Vizcaino hasn’t pitched since June 17 and had a cortisone shot four days later. The team initially targeted a Sunday return, the first eligible day he could return from 10-day disabled list.

The bullpen has floundered in his absence, though that’s not to be attributed to him. The unit blew three leads over the past homestand, posting an ERA north of 5.00.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball...-vizcaino-back-monday/JBRKttmwPzuLsMZwVzK39L/

It's nice to be buyers and not sellers again.

Predicting destinations for 10 top trade targets

2. Mike Moustakas, Royals: The veteran third baseman is having another solid season on the offensive side, ranking 10th among qualified big league third basemen with a .477 slugging percentage. Additionally, he maintains one of the lowest strikeout rates (14.4 percent) at the position while seeing his walk rate (7.3 percent) rise relative to his 2017 clip (5.7 percent). Moose was not dealt last year after Kansas City opted to keep its core together for another postseason run, but that should not be the case this summer with the Royals sitting more than 30 games under .500.

Prediction: Moustakas goes to the Braves for a pair of prospects, left-hander Kolby Allard (MLB.com's No. 50 prospect) and right-hander Touki Toussaint (Atlanta's No. 11 prospect).

7. Zach Britton, Orioles: Britton is still trying to get himself into pitching form after missing the first two-plus months while recovering from surgery to repair a ruptured right Achilles, and scouts have said Britton's fastball velocity and movement are below what they want from a major trade piece. Expecting the 30-year-old to improve considerably may be wishful thinking, but he is a buy-low candidate with high upside. At his best, Britton is a dominant closer that any team would love to add to the back of their bullpen. The Braves have surprised everyone and should make a bold move.

Prediction: Britton joins Atlanta for left-hander Max Fried (MLB.com's No. 73 prospect).

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-predictions-for-machado-hamels/c-283816686?tid=282421090

I personally don’t want to see us give up the farm to win it all this year. Would be nice to win it but would rather be in contention for years.

It's nice to be buyers and not sellers again.

Predicting destinations for 10 top trade targets

2. Mike Moustakas, Royals: The veteran third baseman is having another solid season on the offensive side, ranking 10th among qualified big league third basemen with a .477 slugging percentage. Additionally, he maintains one of the lowest strikeout rates (14.4 percent) at the position while seeing his walk rate (7.3 percent) rise relative to his 2017 clip (5.7 percent). Moose was not dealt last year after Kansas City opted to keep its core together for another postseason run, but that should not be the case this summer with the Royals sitting more than 30 games under .500.

Prediction: Moustakas goes to the Braves for a pair of prospects, left-hander Kolby Allard (MLB.com's No. 50 prospect) and right-hander Touki Toussaint (Atlanta's No. 11 prospect).

7. Zach Britton, Orioles: Britton is still trying to get himself into pitching form after missing the first two-plus months while recovering from surgery to repair a ruptured right Achilles, and scouts have said Britton's fastball velocity and movement are below what they want from a major trade piece. Expecting the 30-year-old to improve considerably may be wishful thinking, but he is a buy-low candidate with high upside. At his best, Britton is a dominant closer that any team would love to add to the back of their bullpen. The Braves have surprised everyone and should make a bold move.

Prediction: Britton joins Atlanta for left-hander Max Fried (MLB.com's No. 73 prospect).

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-predictions-for-machado-hamels/c-283816686?tid=282421090
I wouldn't want to give up both Touki and Kolby for a half year rental.

ADVERTISEMENT