ADVERTISEMENT

Braves 2018

Maybe because he hit a go ahead three run homerun yesterday.
He’s batting about .163 and is something like 2 for 25 against darvish.

Folty now at 79 pitches in 4 innings ...

Last edited:
Surprising that in the midst of a good run the Braves have now lost 4 straight at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never very confident with atlanta’s closers .... vizcaino gives up two runs, cubs up 3-2 bottom 9th.
He has been hit hard lately. When you don't have your off speed stuff working the fastball we get hammered. Will be interesting to see if you go after Kimbrell in free agency.

He has been hit hard lately. When you don't have your off speed stuff working the fastball we get hammered. Will be interesting to see if you go after Kimbrell in free agency.

No it won't. Braves aren't spending that money on a closer and have options in the farm system. If Liberty Media spends, it's on a starter, 3rd baseman, or outfielder. And that's a big "if."

No it won't. Braves aren't spending that money on a closer and have options in the farm system. If Liberty Media spends, it's on a starter, 3rd baseman, or outfielder. And that's a big "if."
It's possible and something that can be talked about as Mark Bowman, beat writer for Mlb.com had mentioned in his latest inbox. The Braves could prioritize the bullpen this Winter, and with so many players on smaller contracts thus far for the Braves it could be the right time to throw money there. If Austin Riley continues to play well he could be your cornerstone at 3rd and another small contract. Still don't know what they will do with the vacant corner outfield spot, maybe try and get Markakis back? At catcher if Flowers and Suzuki have good years again do you bring one or both back? We don't have a catcher in the minors yet who will be ready or even possibly better than them two and I'm not sure if there will be a greater option in free agency. William Contreras intrigues me but he still has a ways to go. I could see them going after another starting pitcher like you mentioned too. But, it wouldn't be a shock to see them addressing the bullpen. Last I heard the Battery Atlanta has been good for revenue so that can only help when pursuing free agents.

It's possible and something that can be talked about as Mark Bowman, beat writer for Mlb.com had mentioned in his latest inbox. The Braves could prioritize the bullpen this Winter, and with so many players on smaller contracts thus far for the Braves it could be the right time to throw money there. If Austin Riley continues to play well he could be your cornerstone at 3rd and another small contract. Still don't know what they will do with the vacant corner outfield spot, maybe try and get Markakis back? At catcher if Flowers and Suzuki have good years again do you bring one or both back? We don't have a catcher in the minors yet who will be ready or even possibly better than them two and I'm not sure if there will be a greater option in free agency. William Contreras intrigues me but he still has a ways to go. I could see them going after another starting pitcher like you mentioned too. But, it wouldn't be a shock to see them addressing the bullpen. Last I heard the Battery Atlanta has been good for revenue so that can only help when pursuing free agents.

They may prioritize the bullpen, but that doesn't mean go after Kimbrell and the contract he will demand. That would be an awful business and personal decision.

Reactions: minvikfan1
In
They may prioritize the bullpen, but that doesn't mean go after Kimbrell and the contract he will demand. That would be an awful business and personal decision.
I guess it just depends on the contract. Mark said his velocity is slightly down this year as well which could drive that cost down a bit. It will still be a hefty contract, he believes it could be about 17 million a year. Now he could take a hometown discount but that's unlikely. I think these next few years are critical while we have Albies, Acuna etc. We better go big now because there is no way we are going to be able to keep all the young guys we have. On another note, what are your thoughts on Harper? Not that we would have the resources to make that happen, and even it we did I don't think it would be a smart decision.

Reactions: JonScott
In

I guess it just depends on the contract. Mark said his velocity is slightly down this year as well which could drive that cost down a bit. It will still be a hefty contract, he believes it could be about 17 million a year. Now he could take a hometown discount but that's unlikely. I think these next few years are critical while we have Albies, Acuna etc. We better go big now because there is no way we are going to be able to keep all the young guys we have. On another note, what are your thoughts on Harper? Not that we would have the resources to make that happen, and even it we did I don't think it would be a smart decision.

I'd be much more of a fan of signing Harper than Kimbrel and the chief reason is the amount of money paid for the position. Closer's just aren't worth that. I could actually see the Braves as a player for Harper because his market has shrunk. A lot of the big spenders don't need an outfielder and they aren't paying a DH his price tag. Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers don't really need OF help. I see the Giants as major players and the Braves could actually sneak in because so little money is tied up. I mean, I'm not saying or thinking it's 50/50, something more like a 15% chance. I've also read the Machado rumors and while I love the player, he isn't worth the trade pieces it would cost to get him when he is a pending free agent.

I'm just glad that there is excitement around the Braves and I actually look forward to water cooler talk at work.

I'd be much more of a fan of signing Harper than Kimbrel and the chief reason is the amount of money paid for the position. Closer's just aren't worth that. I could actually see the Braves as a player for Harper because his market has shrunk. A lot of the big spenders don't need an outfielder and they aren't paying a DH his price tag. Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers don't really need OF help. I see the Giants as major players and the Braves could actually sneak in because so little money is tied up. I mean, I'm not saying or thinking it's 50/50, something more like a 15% chance. I've also read the Machado rumors and while I love the player, he isn't worth the trade pieces it would cost to get him when he is a pending free agent.

I'm just glad that there is excitement around the Braves and I actually look forward to water cooler talk at work.
Amen to that! They sure are fun to watch

Excellent win tonight over the Cubs.... Vizcaino redemption!

Last edited by a moderator:
What fun it was to see Albies fly around the bases and then be knocked in by Acuna.
The Baby Braves taking the lead in the win was great.

Saw a graphic watching the game last night saying the Braves have the 2nd best record against teams with a winning record in MLB. It's encouraging knowing this start has come against quality opponents.

so surprising that the Braves struggle at home, now have lost 5 of their last 6.

Do the Braves have any relief pitchers capable of keeping the other team from scoring?

I just looked at the score and shocked they won lol.

Braves best attribute is they simply don't quit.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I anticipated this team being better than last year at the start of the season; I was even hopeful they might be in contention for a wild card late in the season. But THIS?????

What a fun team they are to watch, and the night after night effort is wonderful. This is heady stuff, reminiscent of the beginnings of the dynasty lo those many years ago.

I hope this is the last west coast swing for the year. Getting the Mets at home should get the Baby Braves back to their winning ways again. Good thing is they're still tied for first.

37 :D
28 :(

I hope this is the last west coast swing for the year. Getting the Mets at home should get the Baby Braves back to their winning ways again. Good thing is they're still tied for first.

37 :D
28 :(

West coast swing against Diamondbacks and Giants in August.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT