ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Braves 2023

Speaking of starting pitching, Philly picked up Michael Lorenzen at the trade deadline and he just threw a no hitter!

I'd understand AA standing pat if the Braves' starters were performing well, but based on the numbers they obviously aren't.
They have two 2023 all stars in the rotation with two more (Fried and Wright) coming back from injury.

The Braves could really use Playoff Charlie tonight. It'll be interesting to see if the stinkin' mets have mentally checked out being 20.5 GB, or if they'll have some extra motivation playing the against the Braves.

Oh and don't look now, but the lead over the fillies is in the single digits at 9.5. I'd like to see them maintain a double digit game lead until the final stretch starting Sept. 12th when they have the fillies, the fish, and the fillies again back-to-back-to-back. Then 3 with the cubbies again at home.
I think "effectively wild" is how one would properly refer to Charlie's outing this evening.

The Mets should be embarrassed to have an opposing pitcher walk seven without giving up a run.
The Mets announcers on MLB Network said it was the first time this season someone threw 100 pitches with more balls (51) than strikes.

• Wow
Reactions: seminoleed
That was such a strange game ... Morton might have walked 10 or 11 Mets had a number of them not struck out on ball four pitches. I watched in disbelief as Morton got out of inning after inning without giving up a run. ... The Mets had 14 LOB!!! ... Morton actually pitched better in the 4th and 5th, but it was painful to watch his lack of control.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Per OptaSTATS, the Mets are the only MLB team in the modern era to record at least seven hits and nine walks in a nine-inning game and not score a single run. The Mets were 0-for-12 with runners in scoring position tonight and bailed out Charlie Morton in what should have been a far worse outing.

The Braves are starting former Mets prospect Allan Winans this afternoon in the first game of the doubleheader... Would be ironic if he has a solid outing.

EDIT: I take back my questioning AA about not signing a starter at the deadline. Obviously he knew that Winans was a superstar-in-waiting! 😏

Last edited:
Does Smoltz ever shut up?
Austin Powers No GIF

Hopefully Snit can get the guys some rest prior to postseason in September if the Braves can clench (sic) what they need to clench (sic). The division is pretty much a fait accompli at this point, but the Orioles are breathing down Atlanta's neck for MLB's best record...and the hated Dodgers are now approaching quickly in the NL overall standings.

I'd hate to see the Braves forfeit having potential October series-deciding games at home after having such a remarkable season to this point.

Last edited:
Hopefully Snit can get the guys some rest prior to postseason in September if the Braves can clench what they need to clench. The division is pretty much a fait accompli at this point, but the Orioles are breathing down Atlanta's neck for MLB's best record...and the hated Dodgers are now approaching quickly in the NL overall standings.

I'd hate to see the Braves forfeit having potential October series-deciding games at home after having such a remarkable season to this point.
There will be a lot of involuntary clenching if they do not ... but I believe its a clinch;)

• Haha
Wow! A 1 hit shutout…are you kidding me!? Braves and Bluebirds win….. 31 is magic!
Padres are up 5-0 over the O's... Could wind up being a supermassive night for the Bravos! 🎉

Another fantastic outing on the mound! Can Morton sustain the effort tomorrow?
BUILDING MOMENTUM

After a run of tough outings, the Atlanta rotation has suddenly found its groove in the past few days.

The Braves have three shutouts in their past their past six games, with the starters going 5-1 in that stretch.

Charlie Morton, spot starter Allan Winans, Spencer Strider, Max Fried and now Elder have all picked up wins, surrendering just two earned runs in 32 innings combined. Yonny Chirinos was the only one who struggled in a 7-6 loss to the Mets.

“The guys feed off each other,” Snitker said. “There's something to that.”

Curious to see who they throw this weekend.

Chirnos hasn't been great
Soroka has looked good in AAA the past 3 starts
Winans pitched a gem saturday as the 26th man

My guess is Winans.

Kyle Wright should be back in 3-4 weeks. Will be some interesting choices to make as far as starters and bullpen for postseason roster.

The next six games have the Giants and Mets coming to Truist...but after that, the Braves embark on a west coast road trip which wraps up with a four-game set against the Dodgers. Gonna be make or break by Labor Day for the league's best record.

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT