ADVERTISEMENT

New Footie Thread - Sept 2019

I can't believe how well we played in the 1st half yesterday, nor can I believe how poor Man United was for almost the entire match. Very surprising. And I'll take it!

Other than Liverpool, there are no consistently good teams in the EPL this year. Chelsea looks good one week, awful the next. Same with Man U. Even Man City looks relatively pedestrian this year. It is even harder than usual to predict what is going to happen from week to week.

Well, this certainly changes the calculus of the Prem. Assuming Citeh loses its appeal and the 2 year CL ban is upheld, the Gunners can finish 5th and get that last slot...and if they fall short, 6th or 7th will keep them in the Europa Cup. Which looks good on paper, but The Arsenal needs to start some kind of winning streak, starting with the Barcodes this weekend.

Reactions: nole31906
Well, this certainly changes the calculus of the Prem. Assuming Citeh loses its appeal and the 2 year CL ban is upheld, the Gunners can finish 5th and get that last slot...and if they fall short, 6th or 7th will keep them in the Europa Cup. Which looks good on paper, but The Arsenal needs to start some kind of winning streak, starting with the Barcodes this weekend.
Revenge for Brexit??

Not pretty, but The Arsenal pull out a 1-0 win over the Hammers. If Burnley can hang on to this draw with Spurs, the Gooners will be 1 point behind the Toilet Seats.

Not pretty, but The Arsenal pull out a 1-0 win over the Hammers. If Burnley can hang on to this draw with Spurs, the Gooners will be 1 point behind the Toilet Seats.
I'm no Gooner, but I'm very happy to see Burnley hold on for the draw!

In addition to Arsenal Coach Mikel Arteta, Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive to COVID.

I'd be shocked if the EPL games this weekend weren't postponed. The "word" is that all games will be postponed until after April 5th and then re-evaluate -> essentially 1 extra week tacked on to the upcoming International break.

Hope the season isn't done, but honestly, I think it's trending that way and with all the talk about EURO 2020, being postponed for until summer 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no more footy until July (i.e. training camp) and maybe even a later.

In addition to Arsenal Coach Mikel Arteta, Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive to COVID.

I'd be shocked if the EPL games this weekend weren't postponed. The "word" is that all games will be postponed until after April 5th and then re-evaluate -> essentially 1 extra week tacked on to the upcoming International break.

Hope the season isn't done, but honestly, I think it's trending that way and with all the talk about EURO 2020, being postponed for until summer 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no more footy until July (i.e. training camp) and maybe even a later.
So this would mean Chelsea's good for the CL next year? :D

Reactions: Rishi
So this would mean Chelsea's good for the CL next year? :D

Wonder what will happen if the season is for lack of a better word, cancelled? Will UEFA just award the spots based on the current table? Will there be additional qualification requirements for eg. the 4th spot (for those countries)? etc.

If it wasn't for the real life ramifications that this would entail, I'd want to see the result.

I think they just need to void the season. Don't promote or relegate anyone and start the season over. Champions League & Europa League can be determined based off the final league table from last year. The only exception of course would be Man. City not being eligible for Champions League.

A little self-deprecating levity, at the expense of the Gooners...you need sound turned on, but there is an NSFW word uttered quite loudly - be advised.

"Arsenal trying to sign Thomas Partey"

The German DFB-Pokal Cup semis are this week. Great story here--Saarbrucken has become the first ever 4th division team to reach the semis, and did so when their keeper made 5 PK saves in a shootout with Dusseldorf. They face Leverkusen tommorrow, and Wednesday Bayern will probably start one of their academy teams and still roll over the opposition (in this case Frankfurt) in their blitzkrieg of German football this season.

The German DFB-Pokal Cup semis are this week. Great story here--Saarbrucken has become the first ever 4th division team to reach the semis, and did so when their keeper made 5 PK saves in a shootout with Dusseldorf. They face Leverkusen tommorrow, and Wednesday Bayern will probably start one of their academy teams and still roll over the opposition (in this case Frankfurt) in their blitzkrieg of German football this season.
Too cool!

I actually have a friend from Saarbrucken. I'll have to chat him up over this. He must be thrilled.

CSB

Well, that was certainly painful to watch. I don't really know how The Arsenal is going to go about rebuilding their side. This team has SO many problems.
I personally think you should start by extending David Luiz for many years and many dollars :D

As an aside, are there any Gunners that are on contracts that were set to expire on June 30th that haven't signed an extension? I know for Chelsea, Pedro has said he won't sign (Pedro has agreed to a contract with AS Roma) and it seems likely that Willian won't either, so Chelsea will be short handed.

I personally think you should start by extending David Luiz for many years and many dollars :D

As an aside, are there any Gunners that are on contracts that were set to expire on June 30th that haven't signed an extension? I know for Chelsea, Pedro has said he won't sign (Pedro has agreed to a contract with AS Roma) and it seems likely that Willian won't either, so Chelsea will be short handed.

Well, the afore-mentioned David Luiz comes to immediate mind.

There is really just no hope for this Arsenal side. They are awful.

Truly. We should probably be in the relegation zone, and are fortunate that we aren't.

Yeah, I would say about half of the players on the squad are not even Premier League quality, much less upper half of the Premier League quality.

Amazingly, The Arsenal win this game at home versus bottom feeder Norwich, and they'll be (briefly, anyway) in 6th place. CYOG!!

Big German Cup final today as well, with Bayern moving towards a possible treble. Unfortunately, it's on during the 2nd half of the Gunners match.

A HUGE 2-0 win for The Arsenal; moves them past Sheffield into 7th (at least temporarily) and now only 3 points behind Wolves for 6th (still gotta hope UEFA upholds the ban on City). PLUS, now 4 points ahead of Hotpants. Let's keep that up lads. COYG!

The court of arbitration saying that City didn't violate FFP, and that essentially meaning that teams like Chelsea, United, Leiceister and Wolves will now be fighting for 2 spots instead of 3 for UCL next campaign.

With that farce of a decision now official, anyone see any reason to keep FFP around?

The court of arbitration saying that City didn't violate FFP, and that essentially meaning that teams like Chelsea, United, Leiceister and Wolves will now be fighting for 2 spots instead of 3 for UCL next campaign.

With that farce of a decision now official, anyone see any reason to keep FFP around?

I certainly don't. Wonder how much money went under the table to get this ruling? Do you think, say, West Ham would have skated like that?

DOWN go the Peasants, 2-1 to The Arsenal. Gunners are now only two points behind Spurs, and there's still hope for a St. Totteringham's Day!

COYG!

To me, the win today only makes the loss to sp*rs over the weekend that much more disappointing. With Aston Villa up next, we could have essentially locked up a St. Totteringham's Day today, but instead we are still fighting.

Reactions: LesClaypool
We're also still alive in the FA Cup, though City on Saturday may end that pipe dream. WIsh we had those two points we left on the pitch against Leicester late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT