ADVERTISEMENT

New Footie Thread - Sept 2019

Do you guys remember all the points we lost / had taken away by VAR earlier in the season? I don't remember all the incidents, but for some reason I am thinking it was 7 points.

I specifically recall one incident where Chambers was called for a foul off the ball & a goal was taken away. The foul was not called on the field but picked up by VAR and after the game the FA said that was not supposed to be the role of VAR and the goal should have been allowed.

I've resigned myself that it's our fate as Gooners to be prepared for all the officiating screwing. I'm sure supporters of other teams don't have similar complaints. ;)

I hate to do it, but got to root for Spurs this weekend against Leicester. If Leicester wins, I'll be all but resigned to the fact that Chelsea will finish 5th. I don't see Chelsea getting any points at Liverpool on Wednesday (gotto think Liverpool will be very focused on trying to win their last home game of the campaign - especially after the Arsenal game). Even with a win against Wolves on matchday 38 (and that's far from a guarantee even if Wolves have nothing to play for - and right now it looks like they will need a result to guarantee a top 6/7 finish and a Europa League spot) a United/LC draw (I'm assuming that United get the 3 points against West Ham) pretty much put them through on GD.

Chelsea never makes it easy.

Reactions: NoleLizards
A feel good story. Today, Leeds made it back to the EPL for the first time in 16 years! At one point, they were required to sell their practice facility and stadium just to pay debts.

Interesting article, though it was 10 years ago when written. I frankly don't recall anything negative about Leeds other than the financial embarrassment, for which they played a heavy price. That's why I'm happy for the team and their supporters.

I don't like the word "Hate", so I save it for very special things...like Spurs, the Scouse Peasants, and Mourinho.

Oh, and Michael Bradley too. ;)

City had 71% possession and outshot us 16-4. Difference in the game was The Arsenal put all 4 of theirs on frame, City only 1. That's ONE shot ON goal! Man, this takes a lot of the sting out of Atlanta United's dismal restart.

City had 71% possession and outshot us 16-4. Difference in the game was The Arsenal put all 4 of theirs on frame, City only 1. That's ONE shot ON goal! Man, this takes a lot of the sting out of Atlanta United's dismal restart.

LOL, I had already forgotten Atlanta United started playing again.

The games against Liverpool & City this past week weren't very pretty. However, the results of both have shown that Arsenal should be higher in the table than they are, and they still have talent. Of course they can still improve the squad, but this team should NOT be down around 8-10 in the table.

Leeds is notoriously one of the most virulent fan bases around.

There is Leeds & Millwall...and then everyone else, when it comes to hooliganism.

But F Leeds....we’re in the FA Cup Final!!! COYG!!

Well, when I didn't think my life could get any worse, my beloved Atlanta United and Frank de Boer parted ways. Doesn't matter that he's coming off a season where he won two trophies, finished in the semis of the MLS Cup, and lost arguably the best player in the league. 3 straight losses and you're gone.

Well, that sets the bar pretty high. Can't see attracting any kind of quality manager when that's the new standard going forward.

So what are we all predicting for the FA Cup Final, fellas?

I have an awful feeling in my stomach.

I think Chelsea is going to roll us 3-0.

Please Lord let me be wrong!

Reactions: seminoleed
So what are we all predicting for the FA Cup Final, fellas?

I have an awful feeling in my stomach.

I think Chelsea is going to roll us 3-0.

Please Lord let me be wrong!

I got even more concerned when Pulisic said he was 100% fit and ready to play. But, I also wasn't very confident against City, so there's that. Regardless, COYG!!!

Reactions: LesClaypool
GUNNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

The Arsenal with a scintillating 2-1 win over the Blues. Another FA Cup in the trophy case, silverware for the new coach, and European football next year. Now, gotta sign Aube!

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was certainly enjoyable. 14 FA cup trophies. Pretty amazing considering how challenging the competition is.

Begrudging congrats, you Arseholes.

On a side note, have any of you seen The Gentlemen ?? It features a scene from a match at Emirates.

Reactions: LesClaypool
In all fairness to the Blues, they have a right to feel a bit hard done by the officiating yesterday. I can't recall an Arsenal match where every call seemed to go our way. And losing two key players to injury during the match didn't help either.

If I heard this correctly, the Gunners have made 21 FA Cup finals...winning 14 of them. That is a phenomenal accomplishment. If only those had been Champions League titles...

Good on you to show up...and even better on you for not complaining about some bad officiating (which it was).

Cheers!
That's ok...Still have the return CL match in Munich next Saturday. All Chelsea has to do is make up three goals on Bayern's pitch.

raw.gif

That's ok...Still have the return CL match in Munich next Saturday. All Chelsea has to do is make up three goals on Bayern's pitch.

raw.gif

I say we forfeit and just start our summer now ;)

After yesterday's horrible injury luck, I'm dreading even more bad news Aug. 8th. Hope Bayern is happy to just play keep away and we don't get embarrassed any further (that 0-3 at Stamford Bridge was very ugly).

The less said about the FA Finals the better (so of course that means I'll write a couple of paragraphs about it). I stayed off this board on purpose yesterday as I'm virtually certain I'd have been (at best) a very poor loser. Even from a Gunners perspective, that was not a pretty game -> but winning makes everything look better. No trophy for the first time in 4 years really sucks. Hopefully we can add a trophy or 4 in 20/21.

The only good news (from Chelsea's perspective) is that Arsenal has to play that Thursday/Sunday schedule for much/if not all of the campaign and that all hurts if that Sunday match is against a Champions League team -> especially when the FA and UEFA will surely do a couple of Tuesday UCL opponents -> those 2 extra days is almost always a difference in the matches.

One last thing, I hope Chelsea decide on 1 shape next year. I'm good with flexibility in parts and being able to switch mid-stride, but I'd rather just be a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 squad next year and not venture too much into the 3 at the back variables as I think that hurt our defensive continuity a lot. Oh and DEFEND A SET PIECE FOR EFF'S SAKE!

CGs to the Gunners on getting Willian (all but official) -> 3rd was the key for him as Chelsea offered higher weekly wages, but only 2 years.

Once he didn't sign by ~ New Year's, to me it was a virtual certainty that Arsenal was his destination - the only hiccup was Mourinho becoming Spurs' boss. Either way was bad news for Chelsea.

I was hoping that he'd go to Barca, but I felt for family reasons that he'd want to stay in London.

This is an embarrassment to me. Just yesterday, The Arsenal canned 55 people as a "cost-cutting" plan. The next day they sign a guy for 100k per WEEK? Plus, they still have to pay Ozil, whom no one will ever take off our hands with his wage structure; don't see how they can keep Aube at this point.

I'm really down now. This is not a good look for the Gunners at all, especially after saying earlier in the summer they were keeping everyone on staff paid during the shutdown. Seems like that was no more than just a PR move to be the first to do it.

Thanks Rishi, but no thanks. I am not considering it a good thing to sign Willian. If we could have signed him 3-5 years ago, I would have been ecstatic.

Ed, I agree with you the whole situation is an embarrassment. However, regarding Auba, I am hearing it is pretty much a done deal that he is staying for another 3-year contract.

I don't know how they do it, but somehow they need to get Ozil out of the club. Even if they need to release him and pay a buyout, he just needs to be gone. From what I read, if he had agreed to the wage cut a few months ago, the money saved on his contract alone would have been enough to save those 55 jobs being cut. That doesn't excuse Kroenke, but it does show how selfish Ozil has become at this point.

Gonna miss our "Energizer Bunny". (Of course, Willian hasn't really been that for a couple of seasons now.)

I have renewed the Fantasy EPL league. The code to join is 1vofua. Anyone is welcome. No money, just glory.

I have renewed the Fantasy EPL league. The code to join is 1vofua. Anyone is welcome. No money, just glory.

Wow, is it that time already? It feels like the season just ended. Arsenal better get busy with their transfer business. They need to get people in/out before the season starts so they don't waste a month getting guys acclimated to the club.

@warriortim must be one proud papa!

Sunday was amazing from start to finish. We get to take a breath for a few weeks and then we start it all again. Hansi took a team that really had issues with tactics and especially with morale and molded them into his own. Won every match in 2020 to date. Rotated players as needed. Huge success. Excited for the future with the quality in the team we have returning. #WeiterImmerWeiter (Keep going...always keep going)

Sunday was amazing from start to finish. We get to take a breath for a few weeks and then we start it all again. Hansi took a team that really had issues with tactics and especially with morale and molded them into his own. Won every match in 2020 to date. Rotated players as needed. Huge success. Excited for the future with the quality in the team we have returning. #WeiterImmerWeiter (Keep going...always keep going)
After what Bayern did to Barca, I don't feel so pessimistic about how my Blues were rolled.

Are you excited for the prospects of Werner and Havertz(if that deal finalizes)? I really like Havertz, he's a generational talent and one that Hansi really liked at FCB. Just not working out amidst Corona to spend what Leverkusen wants. That, and I am not sure he would play over Mueller at the #10 anyways. Werner is someone who I know expressed desire in coming to Munich but the board was not totally sold on his qualities. I think both could be what Chelsea need in the team to challenge the likes of Liverpool and City.

Are you excited for the prospects of Werner and Havertz(if that deal finalizes)? I really like Havertz, he's a generational talent and one that Hansi really liked at FCB. Just not working out amidst Corona to spend what Leverkusen wants. That, and I am not sure he would play over Mueller at the #10 anyways. Werner is someone who I know expressed desire in coming to Munich but the board was not totally sold on his qualities. I think both could be what Chelsea need in the team to challenge the likes of Liverpool and City.
Adding such talent is indeed intriguing, but landing Silva to shore up Chelsea's porous back is even more exciting to me.

Reactions: warriortim

Great to hear from you again, Tim. Sure wish you'd bring your knowledge to the board more often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT