ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Madrid was NOT the better team over 2 legs, but they do know how to win like no other.
Ulreich pulled a Navas! Navas was actually pretty good for once, and they needed it.
Madrid midfield was massacred over two legs, Ronaldo one good scoring chance in 2 games is insane, but Modric and company could not get a through ball to him. CR7 played more D than i've ever seen him, well done.
Madrid needs a right back healthy for the final in the worst way.

I don't feel great about Pool matchup but if they play offensive there should be more scoring chances and in one game who knows.

Maybe Roma will pull a shocker today.

Mad respect for Munich, i didn't expect them to outplay Madrid over two legs, they made Madrid midfield look old and ready for retirement.

Madrid was NOT the better team over 2 legs, but they do know how to win like no other.
Ulreich pulled a Navas! Navas was actually pretty good for once, and they needed it.
Madrid midfield was massacred over two legs, Ronaldo one good scoring chance in 2 games is insane, but Modric and company could not get a through ball to him. CR7 played more D than i've ever seen him, well done.
Madrid needs a right back healthy for the final in the worst way.

I don't feel great about Pool matchup but if they play offensive there should be more scoring chances and in one game who knows.

Maybe Roma will pull a shocker today.

Mad respect for Munich, i didn't expect them to outplay Madrid over two legs, they made Madrid midfield look old and ready for retirement.
Does ANYONE give Roma a chance today?

I'm sure hoping they can pull off another miracle in Rome, but I don't see it happening. I think 'Pewl kill them on the counter.

I predict Real win 4-2 in the final. And it won't really be that close.

I’m so nervous for today’s 2nd leg I can barely eat and I’m already pacing around my house 4+ hours before kickoff.

Gonna be a tall order but we can do it. I see a 1-1 regulation score w/Aaron Ramsey winning it on a flying header in extra time.

COYG!!!

You better win, or you'll be sitting home during Euro competition next year.

You better win, or you'll be sitting home during Euro competition next year.
Sadly, no. If we don't win, we'll be back in this same secondary cup competition with your lot next year, Liz! But we're not thinking about Europa League 2018-2019 today. Today, we're thinking about how the hell are we going to score 2 goals in Madrid this evening? That's what it's going to take to get to the Final.

Good luck to Arsenal. Scoring at Atleti is incredibly difficult.

Interesting comparison of Pool and Madrid opponents.

Pool: Madrid:
Sevilla. Tottenham
Spartak Dortmund
Maribor Apoel
Porto Psg
City Juventus
Roma Bayern

That’s crazy!

Come on Arsenal!
Come on Arsenal!
Come on Arsenal!

But kooter is right. Going to be incredibly tough to score at Atleti.

32147964_2113530658884262_5919909327094677504_n.jpg

Reactions: NoleLizards
Classy gesture from the Huddersfield fans to give Wenger a long, standing ovation at the 22 minute mark of the game. He was clearly caught off guard by it and seemed genuinely pleased. Glad the Gunners sent him out with a win, though it was a desultory game from start to finish for the most part.

Reactions: nole31906
Betting suspended on Arteta as next Arsenal boss. Looks like it's happening...I hope he does well, but I don't have a great feeling about this appointment, if it's to happen.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...-manager-deal-close-Arsene-Wenger-Gossip-News

I hope he does well too, but it stinks of Arsenal just going cheap. This tells me that not only did they not want to spend the money to hire a top manager but that they also don't plan on giving a new manager much money for transfers. This is why Wenger leaving only addresses part of the problem.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Hiring Arteta will permanently move the Gunners to #2 status among teams I try to support. It'll open a lot of extra time for me to enjoy the season that Atlanta United FC is having so far.

What I don't understand is, if they want a former player or someone close to the Club, why not Vieira? Is it because he is currently managing in MLS and that is looked down upon? At least he has managerial experience at this point.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that Arsenal is going on the cheap with this hire. They have now been out of Champions League for 2 years (next year being year #2), so they are adapting to life with less money. Well, less money coming in means less money going out since Kroenke won't spend like other billionaire owners.

My expectation at this point is Arteta with about a £50m transfer budget. Now if he wants to get rid of some dead weight, then the transfer budget will rise, but he will also need to buy more players.

So, unless he is a great motivator and tactician, look for next year to be about the same as this year.

Kroenke is a money-grubbing, cheapskate.

He wants someone who will do what they're told and not make waves. THAT is why Arteta is being considered so closely.

Allegri, Ancelotti, et. al. would all want to actually have a say in how the team is run. Kroenke wants a yes-man.

I had to go to Reddit to get a copy of this as the Times London, where it was originally published, required a log-in to read the whole thing.

It's perhaps a somewhat predictable, somewhat sad, but no doubt intriguing account of Arsene Wenger's last 22 years in London, by some people that know him well. I found it fascinating. I think any of you Gooners, and some of you non-Gooners will enjoy it as well...

Some snippets...

"Those who know Wenger best paint a fond picture of a man who has essentially lived the same day over and over again for his entire 22 years at Arsenal, a groundhog day existing with the only slight variety coming on match-day, which even then is dictated by the team’s results. “He’s a football hermit,” explains a close friend. “His car would be the best second-hand car to buy in London as it doesn’t go anywhere. It goes from his house to the training ground every day, and then once a fortnight to the stadium.”

"Wenger leaves home at 8.30am on the dot, arriving at Arsenal’s training ground in London Colney just before 9am to begin work. The serious business starts with a staff meeting in which he outlines his plans and goals for that day’s training, which begins at 10am with the manager a very visible, hands-on presence. A long-serving member of Wenger’s backroom team claims that he has never missed a session in 22 years, such is his dedication to the cause."

“He generally arrives home at 6.15pm, when he’ll make himself some salad or go to the local Waitrose,” a friend familiar with his routine explains. “At 7.45pm he’ll settle down to watch the first game, and afterwards he’ll catch up with highlights from all the others.

“For the first ten years I went to his house I only ever saw him watching football. It’s always on. He has a massive screen in his lounge, flicking between games. He watches the games for pleasure, but will also analyse them. When the football is all over he will watch a political programme or read a biography.”

"Wenger is an atheist but, despite this, was profoundly moved by meeting the Pope while refereeing a so-called peace match in Rome four years ago, insisting on fulfilling his commitment to attend even though it clashed with the final day of the transfer window when Arsenal were negotiating the purchase of Danny Welbeck from Manchester United."

Does anyone else find it odd the royal wedding is scheduled on the same day as the Cup final? To me, that's like hosting two Super Bowls in London at the same time.

Does anyone else find it odd the royal wedding is scheduled on the same day as the Cup final? To me, that's like hosting two Super Bowls in London at the same time.

It actually is odd. William will have a busy day as I would expect he will be at both.

Side note: The Tampa Bay Rowdies fired their manager after losing in the 2nd rd of the US Open Cup to an NPSL team (Jax Armada)....

...and then promoted their starting CB to the manager position. Huh?

As boring as the FA Cup final was, the championship game of the German Cup was absolutely scintillating. The last 10 minutes, along with stoppage time, were some of the best footie I've seen all year. Tim's Bayern club was hard done by the officials, but Frankfurt sure took advantage of their opportunities.

Lizards, I don't know about you, but I was terrified watching Cesc trying to chase back an attacker. I was screaming for Conte to take him off around the 70' mark, he was done. Somehow, he finished the 90, but Hazard got subbed. Don't know if I'd have had a tv had United somehow got an equalizer after Eden was subbed off.

At least Conte goes out with a trophy.

As an aside, I hope every big name country in the WC makes a long run so that the Community Shield is essentially a youth team match. I feel very comfortable saying Chelsea's youth team will crush City's youth team for the Shield -> if it's first teams, well that doesn't bode well for Chelsea to start the year off.

Oh yeah, Chelsea made some (good) history with the FA Cup victory on Saturday as Chelsea was the first club ever to win the Youth FA Cup (5 in a row to tie Busby's Babes record from the 50s -> plus 7 in 9 with 1 loss in a final as well), Women's FA Cup (2nd League/Cup double in 4 years -> getting closer in UCL as well) and Senior Men's FA Cup in the same campaign.

Lizards, I don't know about you, but I was terrified watching Cesc trying to chase back an attacker. I was screaming for Conte to take him off around the 70' mark, he was done. Somehow, he finished the 90, but Hazard got subbed. Don't know if I'd have had a tv had United somehow got an equalizer after Eden was subbed off.

At least Conte goes out with a trophy.

As an aside, I hope every big name country in the WC makes a long run so that the Community Shield is essentially a youth team match. I feel very comfortable saying Chelsea's youth team will crush City's youth team for the Shield -> if it's first teams, well that doesn't bode well for Chelsea to start the year off.
Oh, having to hold on for dear life in the 2nd half was nerve-racking for sure! Too bad the hand ball in the box wasn't called for another penalty to give Chelsea a chance to cushion the lead...May have added a few minutes to my life!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rishi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT