ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

That should be the last we ever see of Bill Hamid wearing the USMNT jersey. Too many good, young American keepers playing at a higher level and getting meaningful minutes to waste opportunities on Hamid.

Loved it. Parker played like a madman, and our keeper made some fantastic saves towards the end. The collision between Miazza (sp) and the former Gunner who shall not be named was, however, horrific. More blood than a fake, big-time TV champeenship rasslin' match.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I still wish this crew of youngsters would've been the ones representing the USMNT in the WCQ's. We'd be talking about making some noise next week if that had happened.

And Steffen is going to be USMNT's #1 keeper for another 3 WC cycles provided he stays healthy.

Reactions: rdbarks10
Loved it. Parker played like a madman, and our keeper made some fantastic saves towards the end. The collision between Miazza (sp) and the former Gunner who shall not be named was, however, horrific. More blood than a fake, big-time TV champeenship rasslin' match.

Miazga vs Giroud -> Chelsea on Chelsea violence. That was a nasty collision.

Have you guys seen the Nigerian Team's travel attire? It's awesome!

35236685_1802641923128519_4382411936793362432_n.jpg

Reactions: NoleLizards
Meanwhile, Mo Salah and Egypt just put themselves in the same category I want for Mexico: 0-3 in group stage and shutout throughout...

TELEMMGLPICT000165964575-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtA9hvt4yaDuJhaJG2frTIdE962hlt_uTg97lFTxGKqs.jpeg

Have any of you seen a good World Cup Pick'em contest? I was hoping to find one where you can pick results of individual games but can't seem to find one anywhere.

- Yahoo had a pretty good one in 2010 & 2014 but I don't think they are doing it this year.
- ESPN has one but they have a bunch of junk mixed in with it...I don't care to pick who scores goals, which team scores more each half, how many yellow cards there are, etc.
- Fox Sports has one but you only pick group winners, then knockout stage winners.

Lopetegui fired as Spain boss 3 days before their first World Cup match, for taking the Real Madrid job.

His record w/Spain: 14W 6D 0L - 61GF 13GA GD+48

Wow.

Yep, just gotta make sure we don't miss out on Qatar 2022 now.

If we fail to qualify for Qatar 2022 we should stop playing soccer in this country. The USMNT has a lot of young talent and should qualify without issues IMO.

By the way, when do we get to have the great debate about how to pronounce Qatar?

With Mercedes-Benz being one of the stadiums that will be used, I'm hoping Atlanta United season tix holders will get first crack at them.

With Mercedes-Benz being one of the stadiums that will be used, I'm hoping Atlanta United season tix holders will get first crack at them.

Are you sure about that? I thought one of the initial problems with the united bid was the prospect of using turf and/or fake grass (rolling in the sod on top of the turf) stadiums, and that the final bid eliminated those possibilities?

Reactions: seminoleed
Lopetegui fired as Spain boss 3 days before their first World Cup match, for taking the Real Madrid job.

His record w/Spain: 14W 6D 0L - 61GF 13GA GD+48

Wow.

This is one big ego-laden insane move by the Spanish federation. Who cares if he took the Real job? Let the man win the WC and ride out into the international sunset.

Heard on the radio this afternoon that sites are not determined at this point. The US apparently has 23 potential sites and they will break that down and choose 16.

Turf is going to be an issue. Some of these sites will either need to replace it with grass, at least temporarily, or give up on the desire to host.

Are you sure about that? I thought one of the initial problems with the united bid was the prospect of using turf and/or fake grass (rolling in the sod on top of the turf) stadiums, and that the final bid eliminated those possibilities?

I'm pretty sure that if he has too, Uncle Arthur can afford to convert the turf. He made certain when the Benz was built that it met specification for FIFA pitches, and included warm up and cool down areas outside the dressing rooms just for this bid.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I'm no Gooner obviously, but it seems as if your schedule down the stretch is quite favorable.

I'm no Gooner obviously, but it seems as if your schedule down the stretch is quite favorable.
Yeah last 5 games, if we have anything to play for, should be very favorable for us. Also, someone made the point on Facebook that we might be getting lucky to face city the first match since most of their World Cup stars may still be on extended breaks.

I like Chelsea's sched as well. Much more balanced wrt to how/when we play the Big 6 clubs. Also like that we don't play any big 6 club in the Festive period.

Biggest dislike is that 4/5 of our home games against the big 5 are in the first half of the campaign.

Also like how it worked out for who our opponents are before and after the Europa matches. Have some big games, but they are all prior to the Thursday match -> so no Thursday then Sunday against a big 6 club.

Yep, makes it that much easier to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 6 tomorrow for the 1st of 4 games. The World Cup is always an embarrassment of riches for me.

If there was a World Cup for the Networks to have the US miss then this it. I LOVE seeing Brazil, Argentina, and Germany all struggle. Someone is going to win this one that’s not the favorite. This is turning into NCAA tournament level excitement.

While I am sad to see him go, I fully understand the decision by both sides. He wants to play football and eventually earn a spot with the National team. For the club he really doesn't fit anywhere at this point, and might not even be good enough for what Arsenal is trying to do. On top of it, he wants too much money in his contract given his injury concerns, so he really needs to leave at this point.

Speaking of Arsenal news, I was rather shocked the other day when I read they extended the contract of Xhaka. I personally didn't think he has been that great for the club, and I honestly thought he might be one of the players on the transfer list to head out and bring in some cash to spend elsewhere.

While I am sad to see him go, I fully understand the decision by both sides. He wants to play football and eventually earn a spot with the National team. For the club he really doesn't fit anywhere at this point, and might not even be good enough for what Arsenal is trying to do. On top of it, he wants too much money in his contract given his injury concerns, so he really needs to leave at this point.

Speaking of Arsenal news, I was rather shocked the other day when I read they extended the contract of Xhaka. I personally didn't think he has been that great for the club, and I honestly thought he might be one of the players on the transfer list to head out and bring in some cash to spend elsewhere.
Xhaka is shyte. Ridiculous extension. Makes no sense at all.

I was convinced that Xhaka and Iwobi had dirt on Wenger...it was the only explanation for them getting so much playing time. But it appears their dirt must be on Sven, Raul, and Ivan.

I know that, but Chelsea is also in N. London, and I see that match referred to all the time as a N. London derby as well.

Late reply, but I've never seen/heard Chelsea referred to as North London. Chelsea is West London.

Regardless, it'll be a huge early season test for both clubs hoping to return to UCL and (likely) 2 new managers.

Maybe I just heard "London Derby". I've been known to be wrong before, but I wouldn't want that to get around.

One thing I'm NOT wrong on: Coming back on the MARTA train last night from Atlanta United's Open Cup game, ended up having to stand by a couple of Spurs supporters. Even the American version of these people are beyond contemptible. 'Course, with Arsenal's demise the last two years, my best retort had to be weak sauce like, "Still waiting for Hotpants' first Prem title, aren't we?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT