ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Santi Cazorla has left Arsenal and returned to his old club, Villarreal.

So very sad to see that little two-footed magician go.

:(:(:(

Unai Emery to be the next Arsenal manager. David Ornstein, ultra-reliable Arsenal reporter for the BBC, has reported:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44203679

Wow. Didn’t see that coming!

He won the Europa League 3 seasons in a row w/Sevilla. He’s gotta be worth a shot.

Good luck, Unai...if you’re really our next boss!

Last edited:
Unai Emery to be the next Arsenal manager. David Ornstein, ultra-liable Arsenal reporter for the BBC, has reported:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44203679

Wow. Didn’t see that coming!

He won the Europa League 3 seasons in a row w/Sevilla. He’s gotta be worth a shot.

Good luck, Unai...if you’re really our next boss!

Yeah, this is all very confusing. The story is that Arteta wanted control over transfers. Gazidis didn't want to give him that. So now they hire Emery? I would think Emery would want control too. In any case, I am certainly happier with Emery than Arteta. Would have preferred Allegri of course.

I saw the Emery news on ESPN FC as well. Since there are multiple news outlets reporting the same thing, I tend to believe it a bit more. Only time will tell, but i hope this is the correct hire.

Reactions: seminoleed
Me too. He's got some experience, and a pretty good CV as well. No, he's not won the CL, but there's lots of top flight
managers who haven't done that. I know, I know...all the resources he's had at PSG, yadda, yadda, yadda.
All I know is this has gotten this jaded Gooner fairly pumped up again.

Reactions: nole31906
Unai Emery's 1st press conference at Arsenal for any Goons that may be interested:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-press-conference-live-updates-12581738

His English is actually pretty reasonable. He's definitely still learning but he speaks slowly and deliberately...and accurately when answering questions. That's good. He appears to have trouble understanding it being spoken though, which makes sense for someone still learning the language. He had an earpiece in during the press conference and had the questions from reporters translated into Spanish, and then answered them in English.

Unai Emery's 1st press conference at Arsenal for any Goons that may be interested:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-press-conference-live-updates-12581738

His English is actually pretty reasonable. He's definitely still learning but he speaks slowly and deliberately...and accurately when answering questions. That's good. He appears to have trouble understanding it being spoken though, which makes sense for someone still learning the language. He had an earpiece in during the press conference and had the questions from reporters translated into Spanish, and then answered them in English.

I hope he buys a Rosetta Stone package.

From reading various sites, there are people out there stating this is an underwhelming hire for Arsenal. While I see their point, I don't fully agree. Now if Arteta were hired, then I would agree the hiring would be underwhelming. At least Emery has managed/coached top level games before, and on top of it he has lead teams to championships. Personally I like the hire and I'm excited to see what he does with the squad.

On an interesting note, he has officially been hired as the "Head Coach", not the Manager of the club. I don't know if that is just US Sports lingo since Kroenke is American, or if he will have different duties. My guess is Arsenal is going 100% the way of a US Sports organization...head coach with assistants to run the team on the field, and Management behind the scenes to fill the squad & deal with contracts.

What's everyone predicting for the CL Final tomorrow?

I'm hoping for a 4-1 Real Madrid smashing of Liverpewl.

HALA MADRID!

I actually see more of a 3-2, down-to-the-wire win by someone though...I honestly don't know who.

Sad that there's no club football for the better part of the next 3 months but thank god for the World Cup this year!

What's everyone predicting for the CL Final tomorrow?

I'm hoping for a 4-1 Real Madrid smashing of Liverpewl.

HALA MADRID!

I actually see more of a 3-2, down-to-the-wire win by someone though...I honestly don't know who.

Sad that there's no club football for the better part of the next 3 months but thank god for the World Cup this year!

4-2 Real Madrid

I’ll try but it never seems to work.

Who you picking tomorrow Tampa?

Now that Orlando is healthy, them and Atlanta have a fun style of play to watch and a nice rivalry going. Pick one of those two teams?

And I say Salah scores in extra time for the W after Ronaldo scores an equalizer in the 88th min and gets a 2nd yellow for ripping his shirt off in celebration. It'll be something insanely crazy like that.

Les, take a look at Atlanta United FC. Very offensive minded, and the defense still holds up well, with good goalkeeping from Brad Kuzan. Crazy loud supporters and a lot of excitement.

Disclaimer: I have been, and am now, a season ticker holder, so there's a certain bias in the above.

As for tomorrow: Madrid 3, Peasants 0. Has to be. Madrid is on record in saying that no one on 'Pewl would make their roster, so this should be a domination.

Karius prolly shouldn't ever go back to Pewl. He might get killed. I was amazed at the number of Peasant supporters there; that's a long way from Merseyside, and not cheap. Also loved watching the tears among them at the end. Almost as good as beating the Gators.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I hate to go out on a limb here, but Karius is really not having a good evening.

Probably for the first time this campaign, Liverpool really suffered from the media's favourite topic i.e. they Keeper issues. Really hadn't been an issue this year, until the biggest game of the year. Who knows what happens without those 2 all-time gaffs. We'll be seeing those on "worst plays of the ..." type lists for the rest of our lives.

Let the silly season begin.

Liverpool's summer is off to a good start with the signing of Fabinho from Monaco to go along with their previous signing of Naby Keita. Helps to address the centre of the pitch for them.

As a Chelsea supporter, I just want Sarri to be announced so that we can actually begin to make some summer moves (difficult to do effectively without a coach).

On a different topic, the USMNT match last night was perhaps the most I've enjoyed watching them play since the last World Cup. Kids, and I do mean kids, laughing and smiling as they played hard and aggressively. Granted, this was a Class C Bolivia side, but still. Sargent's cheeky play perfectly summarized the night, and McKenne is the physical presence they've needed for a while (proper development and coaching will keep him from being a red card machine, I hope).
I remember seeing Zimmerman play for a local high school here; wish I knew he was going to become a national team player. And looking at their bios on line last night, he's the only one who plays in MLS; all the others are cutting their teeth in Europe, which is a good thing, I think.

Reactions: fsUTampa
On a different topic, the USMNT match last night was perhaps the most I've enjoyed watching them play since the last World Cup. Kids, and I do mean kids, laughing and smiling as they played hard and aggressively. Granted, this was a Class C Bolivia side, but still. Sargent's cheeky play perfectly summarized the night, and McKenne is the physical presence they've needed for a while (proper development and coaching will keep him from being a red card machine, I hope).
I remember seeing Zimmerman play for a local high school here; wish I knew he was going to become a national team player. And looking at their bios on line last night, he's the only one who plays in MLS; all the others are cutting their teeth in Europe, which is a good thing, I think.
I thought Antonee Robinson, the LB, was excellent last night. He was the best player for us on the pitch.

Glad to see Sargent and Weah scoring too.

I thought McKennie, who I have really high hopes for, was quite slow though. Went into a lot of tackles late. He was the lone disappointment for me.

But agree...it's a new era. Exciting times ahead hopefully!

Reactions: fsUTampa
Zizou resigns as Real Madrid manager...

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...as-real-madrid-manager_sto6783012/story.shtml

giphy.gif

"I have taken the decision not to continue next year," Zidane told the media.

" This is the right moment for everyone, it might seem a bit strange, but it had to be done for the good of everyone, the players, the club, and myself. This team must keep winning, and it needs a change after three years, another voice, another method of working."
=======================================

Asked for comment, Arsene Wenger said...
GettyImages-916518136.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed
My son said he's heard mumbling of Zidane coming to take over Chelsea. As Brando said, "The horror! The horror!" :eek::eek:
I'm obviously just a schmo behind a keyboard, but I don't see Zidane leaving Madrid for another job at all. Bet he takes a year off and does absolutely nothing. He's a different sort of guy. I don't think he has aspirations to hop from club to club and be the next Pep. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get that feeling from him.

He was one of the greatest players in the history of the sport AND now he's won 3 consecutive Champions Leagues.

He'll probably pull an MJ and try professional baseball next, just to see if he can do it.
2813481_larger.png

Zidane is my all time fave player; I have a poster of him up in my classroom, right next my 5 Stripes banner.

The time he headbutted that guy's chest into oblivion is permanently etched in my mind.

I'm obviously just a schmo behind a keyboard, but I don't see Zidane leaving Madrid for another job at all. Bet he takes a year off and does absolutely nothing. He's a different sort of guy. I don't think he has aspirations to hop from club to club and be the next Pep. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get that feeling from him.

He was one of the greatest players in the history of the sport AND now he's won 3 consecutive Champions Leagues.

He'll probably pull an MJ and try professional baseball next, just to see if he can do it.
2813481_larger.png

Or try for ultra-legend status and guide the USMNT to winning 2022!

2813481_larger.png

Another rumour out there is he waits to take the France National Team job after the World Cup (especially if France don't win).

As an aside, as good as this is for Chelsea and Hazard, it might be bad for Chelsea and Courtois. Zidane was a backer of Navas, now that Zidane is gone, Madrid may ramp up their pursuit of a new GK. Of course, I'm hoping that means a renewal in their chase for De Gea. But Courtois is the easier target IMO, since Thibault is on the last year of his contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT