ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Maybe I just heard "London Derby". I've been known to be wrong before, but I wouldn't want that to get around.

One thing I'm NOT wrong on: Coming back on the MARTA train last night from Atlanta United's Open Cup game, ended up having to stand by a couple of Spurs supporters. Even the American version of these people are beyond contemptible. 'Course, with Arsenal's demise the last two years, my best retort had to be weak sauce like, "Still waiting for Hotpants' first Prem title, aren't we?"
They should just call it the FA Cup Champs Derby. :D

Wow, Argentina is a hot mess. I feel sorry for Caballero. Poor guy will be living with that for the rest of his life.

Maybe I just heard "London Derby". I've been known to be wrong before, but I wouldn't want that to get around.

One thing I'm NOT wrong on: Coming back on the MARTA train last night from Atlanta United's Open Cup game, ended up having to stand by a couple of Spurs supporters. Even the American version of these people are beyond contemptible. 'Course, with Arsenal's demise the last two years, my best retort had to be weak sauce like, "Still waiting for Hotpants' first Prem title, aren't we?"

Speaking of which, I saw Atlanta had 40,000+ at their US Open Cup match. Meanwhile, Orlando City played at DC United in what looked like it was someone's backyard with 50 people.

In DC's defense, RFK Stadium is a dump, and the team itself isn't very good. They do have a new soccer-specific stadium that's nearing completion, but whether they have the fan base to fill it or not remains to be seen.

Atlanta United's attendance numbers have been astounding since its inception. A combination of great marketing, and even greater customer service have been the keys, along with a team that's fun to watch and remarkably successful since day One. Almost 40,000 season tickets sold, and really the only way to get seats without paying scalpers is when they open up the upper deck to increase capacity to 70k+. Which, btw, will be a week from Saturday when Orlando City visits for the next match in "The Rivalry That Really Isn't".

For anyone that lives in Tallahassee, if you want to get together to watch any matches this weekend, this is the message I just posted in our Tallahassee Gooners FB group (all are welcome though. Arsenal fandom not required!)

World Cup watching this weekend...

TODAY (Sat, June 23) we will be @ 7th Hill Taproom for the 11am Korea/Mexico and 2pm Germany/Sweden matches.

TOMORROW (Sun, Jun 24) we will start the day @ Township Tallahassee at 8am sharp for England/Panama match...We will then move to 7th Hill for the 11am Japan/Senegal match culminating w/the 2pm Poland/Colombia match.

Today I heard on an MLS broadcast that Wayne Rooney is officially heading to DC United. I guess it will be announced in a couple weeks when MLS officially opens their summer transfer window.

I also saw an article that stated both Arsenal & Inter Milan had interest in Miguel Almiron. I hadn't seen that reported anywhere else from the Arsenal side, so I am guessing it is nothing but a rumor.

Almiron isn't ready for that level yet, despite his 2 goals tonight. He has no right foot, and until he gets one, he's where he needs to be.

Since the World Cup is almost over, we can turn our attention back to club footie, as the preseason friendlies start up. And the Emery era got off to a flying start today with an 8-0 thrashing of Boreham Wood. Granted, it's chopped liver opposition, but Wenger would have found a way to make the match a 2-1 nail biter, so there's that. Now, off to the annual Indonesia visit in the International Champions Cup against Atletico Madrid.

Since the World Cup is almost over, we can turn our attention back to club footie, as the preseason friendlies start up. And the Emery era got off to a flying start today with an 8-0 thrashing of Boreham Wood. Granted, it's chopped liver opposition, but Wenger would have found a way to make the match a 2-1 nail biter, so there's that. Now, off to the annual Indonesia visit in the International Champions Cup against Atletico Madrid.
It was so much fun seeing the boys back on the pitch! Did any of you Goons watch the match on Arsenal.com?

Aubameyang had a hat-trick in the first 17 minutes.

Obviously grossly inferior competition but you can only play who's in front of you.

COYG!

Reactions: fsUTampa
Turkish is a race? Who knew? I thought they were Caucasian.

Ozil is no better at politics than he has most of the time for The Arsenal.

Thankfully, I have the Five Stripes to remind me of what joy footie can bring when things are done the right way.

I am curious to see if this rumor has any legs to it. Soccer fans here in the US would go nuts if Pulisic moved to Madrid, especially this close to Ronaldo leaving for Juve.

Heck for the past 18 months I have been hoping Arsenal would go after Pulisic. I mean with the Sven hookup we seem to be going after the rest of the Dortmund squad, why not him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Munich-Chelsea-target-Christian-Pulisic.html

Reactions: seminoleed
Pulisic in an Arsenal shirt would be fabulous. But I doubt Kronke would spend that kind of money.
I think Pulisic to Madrid would be an unmitigated DISASTER for him and by association, for the US.

They'll pay $75 mil for him and then he'll rot on the bench, like Mateo Kovacic.

Anywhere but Madrid or City for Pulisic, IMO.

Reactions: nole31906
I am curious to see if this rumor has any legs to it. Soccer fans here in the US would go nuts if Pulisic moved to Madrid, especially this close to Ronaldo leaving for Juve.

Heck for the past 18 months I have been hoping Arsenal would go after Pulisic. I mean with the Sven hookup we seem to be going after the rest of the Dortmund squad, why not him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Munich-Chelsea-target-Christian-Pulisic.html

I think the best thing for Pulisic is to stay in Germany.

I know a bunch of us on here are Atlanta United fans, at least when it comes to MLS soccer. Anyone following the Ezequiel Barco soap opera? I knew he was left out of the squad for their last game, and he was going to miss a second game, but I had no idea why. Then I heard something on Sirius/XM FC a short while ago and decided to go browsing the interwebs. If what I am reading is true, he might be done in Atlanta.

Yeah, this team does NOT need this type of locker room cancer. Thankfully, Uncle Arthur's pockets run deep, and if they've thrown away 15 mil on this guy, it won't hurt as much as it would most of the other clubs. And Barco just got married?

Last edited:
Apparently Barco got married shortly after arriving here in the US. If the rumors are true, I think he is going to be sold to a team outside MLS rather quickly.

Arsenal starting lineup vs Atletico Madrid, in Singapore this morning @ 7:35am on ESPNU. Set your DVRs Gooners!

37869740_1054643401359357_1417853220776050688_n.jpg

Apparently Barco got married shortly after arriving here in the US. If the rumors are true, I think he is going to be sold to a team outside MLS rather quickly.

That's a shame. He is a really good player. Sounds like he has a lot of maturing to do.

Aubameyang is TORCHING everyone on PSG.

This game is bad news for Lacazette, IMO, as I think it’s abundanty clear that Aubameyang has to be playing up front in a 4-2-3-1....if that’s what Emery wants to play.

Also bad news for people that hate Iwobi - me - b/c that gives him a chance to get minutes on the LW.

At this point, it's 3-1 to The Arsenal, and they look like an entirely different team. Better flow, better ATTITUDE, Christ, even Ozil acts like he cares. I get that this is just a glorified exhibition match, but it IS PSG, and combined with the effort they gave against Atletico Madrid, gives me hope for the season.

Man City and Bayern Munich and looks like 15,000 people in the stands and it’s as quiet as a funeral.

I’ll never understand why Miami gets so many opportunities for sporting events. It’s been a terrible sports town for 30 years.

The crowd at The Big House today looked awesome. Everybody decked out in red, so it looked like an Ohio St. game. Easily over 100,000, I'd guess.

Aubameyang is TORCHING everyone on PSG.

This game is bad news for Lacazette, IMO, as I think it’s abundanty clear that Aubameyang has to be playing up front in a 4-2-3-1....if that’s what Emery wants to play.

Also bad news for people that hate Iwobi - me - b/c that gives him a chance to get minutes on the LW.

I'm not sure. I could see Auba and Laca playing together and both doing well. In the tougher matches, maybe Laca gets sacrificed. It will be interesting to see.

I once again have a Premier league Fantasy football league. The code is 65045-16689. No prizes, just fun. Anyone is welcome to join.

I once again have a Premier league Fantasy football league. The code is 65045-16689. No prizes, just fun. Anyone is welcome to join.

Awesome! I was hoping to see this posted this week. Maybe I can improve on my terrible performance from last year.

Arsenal vs Chelsea, live from Dublin @ 3:05 ET on ESPN2

Here's how Arsenal lines up:

38140402_10156188322132713_7883792877061406720_n.png

Loving the fact that Guendouzi is in the starting lineup again for the 4th straight preseason match!

The intentions were nice with that starting lineup. Too bad Ramsey injured himself during warm-ups and was pulled from the lineup.

The intentions were nice with that starting lineup. Too bad Ramsey injured himself during warm-ups and was pulled from the lineup.

I've had enough of Ramsey. He seems to spend half his time injured and is now threatening to go to Chelsea. Good player, but not great, and full of himself.

I've had enough of Ramsey. He seems to spend half his time injured and is now threatening to go to Chelsea. Good player, but not great, and full of himself.
We have to sell him fast though and bring in a replacement...in the next 7 days. Not sure that’s realistic.

So we may have to sell him now and wait until January for reinforcements, assuming Guendouzi, Emile Smith Rowe, AMN, and Joe Willock aren’t capable of holding down his spot.

But I agree. Good player, not great. I think we’ll miss Santi a lot, Jack a little, and Rambo (if he leaves) the least, in midfield.

ADVERTISEMENT