ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

We have to sell him fast though and bring in a replacement...in the next 7 days. Not sure that’s realistic.

So we may have to sell him now and wait until January for reinforcements, assuming Guendouzi, Emile Smith Rowe, AMN, and Joe Willock aren’t capable of holding down his spot.

But I agree. Good player, not great. I think we’ll miss Santi a lot, Jack a little, and Rambo (if he leaves) the least, in midfield.

If we are going to sell him outside EPL, we still have plenty of time. It is only the PL with the new rule that transfers (incoming) need to be completed before the season starts. So, if we ship him off to Spain or Italy, there is still time.

As for bringing in a replacement, I'm not so sure one is needed at the moment. Central midfield is already a little crowded. I would honestly prefer to sell Ramsey and bring in a true winger, but I don't see that happening this week.

Also, why are Mustafi & Ospina still at Arsenal? I thought they were both headed out the door last year, then again this year, but they are still around.

If we are going to sell him outside EPL, we still have plenty of time. It is only the PL with the new rule that transfers (incoming) need to be completed before the season starts. So, if we ship him off to Spain or Italy, there is still time.

As for bringing in a replacement, I'm not so sure one is needed at the moment. Central midfield is already a little crowded. I would honestly prefer to sell Ramsey and bring in a true winger, but I don't see that happening this week.

Also, why are Mustafi & Ospina still at Arsenal? I thought they were both headed out the door last year, then again this year, but they are still around.
We have 7 days to bring in his replacement. That's what I was saying. That's not much/enough time, IMO.

I'm relatively certain Ospina will be sold.

I think Mustafi (regrettably) stays.

We have 7 days to bring in his replacement. That's what I was saying. That's not much/enough time, IMO.

I'm relatively certain Ospina will be sold.

I think Mustafi (regrettably) stays.

Got it. Unfortunately I don't see him being replaced during this window. If he is sold, I am thinking it will be outside of England, and at the earliest he will be replaced is January. Of course with a new Manager, and some other new players in the squad, that might not be the worst thing.

I could actually see the team setting up in a 4-3-3 and having Ozil in midfield instead of as one of the top 3.

I'm surprised none of my fellow Gooners have commented on Kroenke purchasing the 30% ownership from Usmanov and his plans to buy up all the remaining shares to become 100% owner of the club.

IMO it sucks because I was hoping he would sell. Maybe this somehow sets him up to sell the club in a few years and make a ton of money, but I doubt it.

Reactions: nole31906
I'm surprised none of my fellow Gooners have commented on Kroenke purchasing the 30% ownership from Usmanov and his plans to buy up all the remaining shares to become 100% owner of the club.

IMO it sucks because I was hoping he would sell. Maybe this somehow sets him up to sell the club in a few years and make a ton of money, but I doubt it.
It’s depressing. And on the eve of the season too.

Yeah, after reading that this morning, my day was pretty much ruined. Usmanov would've spent the money to bring us back to glory; he seemed like a dedicated Gooner.

I gave up hope on him selling years ago.

Deadline has come and gone, and unless it's just not been reported yet, Ramsey did not resign. This infuriates me. How could we not have sold him? After Ozil and Sanchez holding us hostage all year last year, how could this have been allowed to happen again by Arsenal?!?!

What a close by Everton!
Mina, Bernard and a loan for Zuma to go along with Digne, Richlarson and the highest rated British goalkeeper under 20 who Arsenal whiffed on keeping, ha.

Unloading Rooney and A Williams was just as important. Hopefully Baines and Jagielka and Bolaise are all backups this year.

Everton had a dreadful preseason but an exciting day of moves

Reactions: LesClaypool
I am not so sure Ramsey stays with Arsenal. They can still sell him abroad, and honestly I think the club would prefer he leaves England if he doesn't re-sign.

That being said, it came out today that progress has been made in a new contract and the Club is confident they will get him signed...not that I believe it.

What a close by Everton!
Mina, Bernard and a loan for Zuma to go along with Digne, Richlarson and the highest rated British goalkeeper under 20 who Arsenal whiffed on keeping, ha.

Unloading Rooney and A Williams was just as important. Hopefully Baines and Jagielka and Bolaise are all backups this year.

Everton had a dreadful preseason but an exciting day of moves
VERY impressive effort by Everton. Never know how all those guys will play together, but you can't be anything other than impressed by their aggressiveness in the transfer window.

I forgot a loan for Andre Gomes too so that’s 3 bench guys from Barcelona which im fine with. Everton must get down to 25 by end of month so a lot of loans will be headed out, 8/15 done so far at Goodison. Squad is Chelsea big this year

VERY impressive effort by Everton. Never know how all those guys will play together, but you can't be anything other than impressed by their aggressiveness in the transfer window.
Les
It must make you chuckle that Tottenham are the first EPL team with no summer signings since 2003 inception

Les
It must make you chuckle that Tottenham are the first EPL team with no summer signings since 2003 inception
It sort of does.

That's what happens when you borrow £400 mil to build a stadium though. You gotta either sell to buy...or largely stand pat. There will be more of this in the near term from them. They're also a 3-4 month injury to Harry Kane away from finishing 6th-8th, IMO.

I think Man United may have some issues too. Mourinho's negativity appears to be killing their team spirit. And Sanchez came out today saying, "I thought Man U would sign more world-class players...that's why I came." THAT ought to sit well with everyone.

Reactions: nole31906
That Jagielka red was weak, I figured an Everton loss with last years junk team in but geesh.

Bad Pickford is back, leaning and shuffling to his right before the shot on goal, why????

It's Opening Matchday!

gifs_large.gif

As excited as I am, I'm realistic too though. I see an Arsenal loss or a last-second draw.

COYG - prove me wrong!!

Well, so much for either of my wishes today. The Peasants look to be in mid-season form, and though The Arsenal played harder than usual, they were no match for the Citizens.
And seriously, is there a bigger douche in MLS than Jozy Altidore? A ninth minute red for kicking the legs out from an opponent? From behind? With the ball nowhere in sight? God, I hope he never sniffs the national team again.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I don't know why I do and I'll probably regret saying this later, but for some reason I've got a good feeling about today.

Particularly interested in how these two do in their respective roles.
66ngolokantelucastorriera1808a.jpg

COYG!

Reactions: seminoleed
Is JCO really the top candidate for the USMNT position? Jesus, what a clusterf*** of an organization.

WOW! What a first half for Arsenal / Chelsea. 2-2 but could easily be 6-4. The Arsenal defense at times looks worse than my daughter's 12U team, and if they could finish from 6-10 yards out they would have 6 goals already. After that first half, I expect the second half to be a snoozer with one team getting a cheap goal near the end to take the 3 points.

As for Torreira, I think he is holding his own on the bench so far. I do like Guendouzi, and I think after a couple years of experience he will be great. He is only 19 after all.

"The Arsenal defense at times looks worse than my daughter's 12U team"

LMAO at that one. So true, so true.

Goal #3 is a prime example but first I will briefly mention the dive by the Chelsea player not long before as he was already going to ground before the Arsenal player even touched him. That didn't directly lead to the goal though, a poor giveaway & poor defense did.

The Arsenal CF (Lacazette) makes a back pass directly to Hazard. Then Lacazette winds up being the farthest player back on the wing defending while Bellerin drops off into no mans land, thus allowing for an easy cross (no clue where the right winger was). Oh, meanwhile Ramsey was way up near the center line with nobody around him. Sometimes I wonder if these guys know what positions they are actually playing, or if they are just going wherever they feel like it out there.

Think of it this way, the Chelsea win allowed us to finish top of the table (2 days thus far, and 2 more than all of last year), thus preventing Spurs from the spot. Spurs haven't been top of the table for a single day the last 3 campaigns and 2 matchdays. :)

In all sincerity, Chelsea was fortunate that Arsenal didn't have their scoring boots on today as they missed some sitters. We may not see Arsenal create better chances in a game the rest of the year.

I'm excited to see how Chelsea look come November or so when Sarri will have had a couple of months with the full squad to actually work with his methods.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Oh yeah, even though I don't think Cech played badly today, I think Arsenal should switch to Leno for next week. I think it was smart of Emery to have gone with Cech in these 1st 2 weeks as most probably would have expected 2 Ls, but now there's a run of games against non-top 6 clubs where Leno can get some confidence and Arsenal can really start to implement some of Emery's philosophies, especially playing out from the back.

Arsenal’s schedule looks very favorable for the next several weeks. It will be interesting to see how they perform.

Reactions: seminoleed
Watching Citeh thrash Huddersfield this morning, a 2-0 loss at home to them doesn't look half bad. The Noisy Neighbors are on another planet.

I had to laugh this morning when I went to Arseblog to check in on some Gunner news. They had a short article about Wenger and the fact he decided not to decide on his future just yet. The below picture was at the top of the article.

Wenger-700-waterslide.jpg

I’m glad Arsenal won, but they played very poorly. Also, I don’t understand Emery’s reasoning in not starting Lacazette. He’s Arsenal’s most effective player right now. Forget formation, stop over thinking, and just put him in there.

I think at this point, for the most part, Emery is trying to give everyone a multiple game run to see where they stand. He very easily could make changes every game, but I think he wants to give a few in a row for the guys to show him something. I fully expect changes next weekend, including Lacazette in, Toreirra in, maybe Socratis out, heck even Bellerin out.

I am very interested to find out what happened with Ozil. There are rumors of him not feeling well, but also rumors of him having issues with Emery in training so he was benched. It was odd that he went from starting at Chelsea to not even making the bench for the West Ham game.

Rumors all over the place that Reiss Nelson is going to Hoffenheim.

WTF?!?!?!

From what I have read, it sounds like Nelson is going to Heffenheim, but it will be after signing a new deal with Arsenal and this will be a loan to the German Club.

From what I have read, it sounds like Nelson is going to Heffenheim, but it will be after signing a new deal with Arsenal and this will be a loan to the German Club.
Yeah...that was a new development overnight. When I posted, all the rumors were saying it was going to be an outright sale due to his refusal to sign a new contract.

Still no links or comments from the club though. I'm nervous. I love Reiss!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT