ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

Watching the Giants play reminds me of why I would never pay a receiver big money when I have weaknesses on both lines

Last edited:
Watchimg the Giants play reminds me of why I would never pay a receiver big money when I have weaknesses on both lines
Totally agree. I'm a lifelong Giants fan and don't see much beyond 4 wins for this year or the next. I feel bad for Barkley and pissed for the way they've tossed money around on bad decisions.

We have to have this game to keep the streak alive. The end of the year could be fun if this team keeps improving. We have Clemson, Notre Dame, NC State and Florida with one combined loss. And if we play how we did against Miami the first 20 minutes we could upset any one of them.

You have to readjust and embrace being a spoiler this year. And hope to see as much improvement the next 6 games as we have seen these last 3.

We have to have this game to keep the streak alive. The end of the year could be fun if this team keeps improving. We have Clemson, Notre Dame, NC State and Florida with one combined loss. And if we play how we did against Miami the first 20 minutes we could upset any one of them.

You have to readjust and embrace being a spoiler this year. And hope to see as much improvement the next 6 games as we have seen these last 3.

That would be amazing finish with the way (and the tone of the boo birds) the season started. If the team can make changes and mature mid season when it matters most. Have to make large leaps n bounds to beat Clemson, but UF and ND were shown this weekend to be very beatable. NCState is such an enigma, they look bad but manage to play FSU hard almost every year.

That would be amazing finish with the way (and the tone of the boo birds) the season started. If the team can make changes and mature mid season when it matters most. Have to make large leaps n bounds to beat Clemson, but UF and ND were shown this weekend to be very beatable. NCState is such an enigma, they look bad but manage to play FSU hard almost every year.
I wonder when was the last time we were the underdog against NCState.

Agree - we've seen improvements...very inconsistent but there are flashes. I'm most confident about UF.

NC State is pretty good up front on defense but otherwise we could take them - we just have a bad history there.

Fake news.
This week’s depth chart is out. Changes on oline, not but not under center.
In fairness, there were reports that Francois was not healthy and Blackman was taking first team snaps and practice. But now it seems that DeAndre has healed and is back at practice taking all the snaps with the ones.

In fairness, there were reports that Francois was not healthy and Blackman was taking first team snaps and practice. But now it seems that DeAndre has healed and is back at practice taking all the snaps with the ones.

Yep. Even though I've wanted to see the Slim Reaper all season, Taggart seems fixated on keeping Frenchy at QB1. And I understand the rationale, even though I think Blackman would perform better because if you stick him in at QB1 then Frenchy is going to sulk yet again and immediately transfer under the new rules. And with Hockman gone that would leave us at one QB on the roster for this year and only likely two for next year (I hope we do take a mediocre juco just for depth purposes but I haven't heard anything along those lines). So better to lose one or two extra this year when we were going to be mediocre at best with this limited Oline than ruin next year when we could be decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Even though I've wanted to see the Slim Reaper all season, Taggart seems fixated on keeping Frenchy at QB1. And I understand the rationale, even though I think Blackman would perform better because if you stick him in at QB1 then Frenchy is going to sulk yet again and immediately transfer under the new rules. And with Hockman gone that would leave us at one QB on the roster for this year and only likely two for next year (I hope we do take a mediocre juco just for depth purposes but I haven't heard anything along those lines). So better to lose one or two extra this year when we were going to be mediocre at best with this limited Oline than ruin next year when we could be decent.
My comment on the topic in another thread.

One of the most common axioms in football is everyone loves the backup QB. I don't think Taggart is just being hard headed. Why would he risk his dream job by playing an inferior player at any position?

What tangible advantage does Blackman have? I'll grant that the players may block and play harder for him. Otherwise arm talent, mobility, experience in the offense and ball control are in Francois' favor.

The three main benefits of the Slim Reaper are:

1) he is substantially taller than Frenchy (6’5” with a 80.5 inch wingspan versus 6’1” and a 73 inch wingspan) and can throw over the top of OLineman when in the pocket. Our OLine has been very subpar, that’s indidisputable but our interior three have actually held up decently. So there’s usually a pocket to step up into as the DEs run right past our tackles. But Frenchy is too short to step up right behind our guards and Center and throw over the top of them and the opposing DTs. Blackman can physically do this while Frenchy can’t. And if you go back and rewatch our games, on easily 3/4s of the sacks, a taller QB could have stepped into the pocket and thrown over the defense for a possible completion.

2) Over the first half of the season Frenchy has repeatedly shown he doesn’t understand or
or likely chooses not to correctly follow the RPOs as he frequently makes the wrong decision when presented with the defense. Although there’s no guarantee Blackman is better at it, when Frenchy is making the wrong RPO decision 3 out of 4 times according to Doc Staples and Bud Elliot, you can’t really do much worse.

3) Kind of tied into the RPO decision is that Frenchy has shown an unwillingness to run on any of the option plays. If given a choice between handing off to the running back and/or throwing it versus keeping it, he keeps it maybe 10% of the time. And that’s frequently not the answer to what the defense is giving him.

The positives for Frenchy is that he is “tough” and when he has complete protection he can make more accurate throws than Blackman. But to me the unwillingness to run our RPO plays correctly (and the consensus amongst the FSU bloggers is that it’s his choices not a lack of understanding) and being too short to step into the small pocket our guards and centres create means Blackman is the better choice short term.

The one thing I will give is that perhaps long term Going with Frenchy is better as it preserves our limited QB depth and maybe next year we find tackles who aren’t turnstiles and Frenchy will have time to throw. So I’m not HUGELY upset that they haven’t switched to Blackman, just a little disappointed as I think we would get better results this year.

Reactions: RTM58
1) we've had very few passes batted at the line, so no advantage. Slower release negates seeing over people.

2) there's nothing to suggest Blackman can or will run better. If you saw 2017 his running was pretty bad. Not shifty, agile, or strong

3) likewise there's no evidence Blackman can run the read or rpo. Remember Louisville? Small but very poor sample.

He is great to have on the team and as noted is possible the team will simply play harder or execute with more focus when he is leading.

I'm up for finding out but the tangible elements of the position all favor Francois. So a move would be purely team chemistry.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I would also add that last year, when Blackman was unexpectedly forced into action, he knew very little of Fisher's playbook. That was totally reasonable given he had only been on campus for a few months. The play calling was very limited. As the season progressed, they tried to implement more but Blackman struggled with turnovers when they did. The former coaching staff settled on a package they were comfortable he could handle and didn't vary from it.
I'm sure Taggart's playbook is not as complicated as Fisher's but I'm not sure of Blackman's ability to fully grasp it totally.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I would also add that last year, when Blackman was unexpectedly forced into action, he knew very little of Fisher's playbook. That was totally reasonable given he had only been on campus for a few months. The play calling was very limited. As the season progressed, they tried to implement more but Blackman struggled with turnovers when they did. The former coaching staff settled on a package they were comfortable he could handle and didn't vary from it.
I'm sure Taggart's playbook is not as complicated as Fisher's but I'm not sure of Blackman's ability to fully grasp it totally.

So here’s some interesting stats. Obviously this year our schedule was substantially tougher than last year, BUT our four toughest games have yet to be played. So I’d say our first six games of this season have been substantially easier than last years nearly full schedule that Blackman had to play against.

So without looking it up yet, which one is the Slim Reaper’s stats from 12.5 games last year and which is Frenchy’s from the first six games this year?

Player A: 7.3 yards per attempt at passing, -0.6 yards per attempt at running, 1.83 TDS to Int ratio, 134.5 QBR

Player B: 7.5 yards per attempt at passing, -0.6 yards per attempt at running, 1.72 TDs to Int ratio, 135 QBR

Lol, actually it’s close enough I won’t even bother saying which player is which. In essence they are exactly the same statistically and I think Blackman’s tougher schedule that he faced (plus tougher system he was trying to learn W/O the benefit of a full offseason camp) more than negates the slightly better offensive line they had last year. The only real difference is last year our OLine was getting blown up on the inside and this year it’s being destroyed on the outside.

So I say, give Blackman a shot to see if he improved over a year and with two full camps.

If we look bad on offense against Wake, I'm all for changing it up. I don't know if Manute Nole can do any better, but I certainly don't like what I've seen from Francois. Hopefully, the offense will get (and keep) it in gear this Saturday.

If we look bad on offense against Wake, I'm all for changing it up. I don't know if Manute Nole can do any better, but I certainly don't like what I've seen from Francois. Hopefully, the offense will get (and keep) it in gear this Saturday.
A full game like the first half against Miami will go a long way towards building momentum for the second half of the season.

So here’s some interesting stats. Obviously this year our schedule was substantially tougher than last year, BUT our four toughest games have yet to be played. So I’d say our first six games of this season have been substantially easier than last years nearly full schedule that Blackman had to play against.

So without looking it up yet, which one is the Slim Reaper’s stats from 12.5 games last year and which is Frenchy’s from the first six games this year?

Player A: 7.3 yards per attempt at passing, -0.6 yards per attempt at running, 1.83 TDS to Int ratio, 134.5 QBR

Player B: 7.5 yards per attempt at passing, -0.6 yards per attempt at running, 1.72 TDs to Int ratio, 135 QBR

Lol, actually it’s close enough I won’t even bother saying which player is which. In essence they are exactly the same statistically and I think Blackman’s tougher schedule that he faced (plus tougher system he was trying to learn W/O the benefit of a full offseason camp) more than negates the slightly better offensive line they had last year. The only real difference is last year our OLine was getting blown up on the inside and this year it’s being destroyed on the outside.

So I say, give Blackman a shot to see if he improved over a year and with two full camps.
Your stats also show your hypotheses about Blackman being being better in the pocket or running are not supported. As I said I got no problem with Blackman but starting him is not for any measurable reasons. If the team plays harder for him, that affects production.

I think if you want to compare numbers then you have to account for the fact that we had an FBS-level running game last year. This we are unable to run vs. even FCS so Francois has far less to work with. Taggart and everyone has discussed stepping up in the pocket. And it HAS improved.

IMO we should (and should have been for years) give the backup QB the 1st series of the 2nd quarter. Bowden did this for a time and I think it should be resurrected.

Your stats also show your hypotheses about Blackman being being better in the pocket or running are not supported.

Not really. As I discussed, last year our OLine was repeatedly blown up on the inside so there was seldom a pocket to step into. This year our inner three are not exactly great but are decent and there is frequently a pocket TO step into. As hard as it is to run an offense with both sides simultaneously caving in, it’s even harder when they’re right in your face from the time of the snap.

Im just ready for Saturday! Bye weeks are the worst weekend of the season. Everyone else gets to play, we have to sit on the sideline. Although I did get to watch a # of other teams play.

Not really. As I discussed, last year our OLine was repeatedly blown up on the inside so there was seldom a pocket to step into. This year our inner three are not exactly great but are decent and there is frequently a pocket TO step into. As hard as it is to run an offense with both sides simultaneously caving in, it’s even harder when they’re right in your face from the time of the snap.
So he doesn't throw it better (your stats) and clearly doesn't run it better (everyone knows this) and doesn't handle the option better and he has a slower release and a body more likely to get hurt with a bad o-line...and the plan is to make him the starter? OK

Reactions: cmanole
#100pagesnatty2

So he doesn't throw it better (your stats) and clearly doesn't run it better (everyone knows this) and doesn't handle the option better and he has a slower release and a body more likely to get hurt with a bad o-line...and the plan is to make him the starter? OK

The difference between the statistics is that was Blackman as a true freshman without even a spring camp versus a Junior who was allegedly here the entire time. I would expect Blackman to eclipse his true frosh statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: noleclone2
#100pagesnatty2

The difference between the statistics is that was Blackman as a true freshman without even a spring camp versus a Junior who was allegedly here the entire time. I would expect Blackman to eclipse his true frosh statistics.
By running a new offense with a line that is worse and a worse running game?

I don't know why it's assumed a player riding the bench just magically improves his game performance. That's a pretty big leap. I'm fine with giving him a series or even a quarter, I just don't get these assumptions that a slow, spindly and mediocre-accuracy QB will turn into Justin Herbert.

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
By running a new offense with a line that is worse and a worse running game?

I don't know why it's assumed a player riding the bench just magically improves his game performance. That's a pretty big leap. I'm fine with giving him a series or even a quarter, I just don't get these assumptions that a slow, spindly and mediocre-accuracy QB will turn into Justin Herbert.

Come on. We all do this. The ex or next girlfriend is always romanticized a little more than your current.

P.S. Don't tell my wife I said that.

P.P.S Or boyfriend.

( and to be clear I didn't mean "don't tell my boyfriend", I meant if you have a boyfriend and not a girlfriend).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT