ADVERTISEMENT

BRAVES 2017

I really don't want to see Phillips or Adams go but would not be surprised to see one of them traded. :(

Is it me or does anyone else thing Paul Byrd does a much better job in the booth than Joe Simpson?

Rumor Central: Braves open to offers for Julio Teheran

Rival executives say that the Atlanta Braves are "very open" to offers for right-hander Julio Teheran as the July 31 trade deadline approaches, Buster Olney writes in his blog.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
Teheran has struggled this season with a 4.79 ERA, and the Braves are six games back of a wild-card spot entering Sunday. The 26-year-old is earning $6.3 million in 2017, $8 million in 2018, $11 million in ’19 and his contract ends with a $12 million team option for 2020.

"The perception of other teams is that the Braves would like to flip Teheran for prospects, but that in order to do so, Atlanta would need to acquire a comparable front-of-the-rotation starter," writes Olney. The Braves made contact with the Chicago White Sox about Jose Quintana before he was dealt to the Chicago Cubs, and they've also checked in with the Oakland Athletics about Sonny Gray, adds Olney.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports noted on July 6 that "teams in need of starting pitchers, including the Houston Astros, have been calling the Braves about Teheran."

-- John Wilmhoff

I wish they would have left Dansby in AAA again this year. Dude needs some time to learn major league hitting. Maybe I was used to Andrelton but Dansbys range is average as well.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Looks like the Bravos caught the Cubbies at the wrong time.
45 :D
47 :(

In other shocking news, Bartolo Colon continued his stellar season giving up 8 hits and 4 runs in 4 innings for the Twins. :eek:

Looks like the Bravos caught the Cubbies at the wrong time.
45 :D
47 :(

In other shocking news, Bartolo Colon continued his stellar season giving up 8 hits and 4 runs in 4 innings for the Twins. :eek:

Shocking.

We travel out to the west coast for the Dodgers next and it will probably get much worse before it gets better.

After getting swept at home by the Cubbies, I was expecting a ten game losing streak with next seven being four at LA and three at Arizona. Nice win last night breaking the Dodgers eleven game winning streak. Tough game tonight facing former Brave and 11-0 Alex Wood.

Reactions: SoddyNole
I went to bed in the 2nd and forgot about looking the score up this morning.

Way to go Braves!

What a night he is having tonight! I think he will be traded too.

Dayum!!
47 :D
48 :(

Grand plan: Garcia lifts Braves amid rumors
Lefty cruises over 7 innings, belts GS off Dodgers' Wood

By Joshua Thornton / MLB.com | 3:29 AM ET

LOS ANGELES -- A day earlier, it seemed Jaime Garcia wouldn't be pitching on Friday night at Dodger Stadium. It was even less likely that he would be hitting a grand slam en route to a 12-3 win over the MLB-best Dodgers.

Instead, the 31-year-old veteran was rumored to be headed to Minnesota to help bolster the Twins' rotation as they made a run for the American League Central crown, but those trade talks stalled and the Braves sent their trade chip to the mound to face a red-hot Dodgers squad.

Full Game Coverage
Garcia (4-7, 4.30 ERA) shook off the trade speculation to not only produce on the mound, throwing seven innings of three-run ball on 91 pitches (59 strikes), but he also provided himself some extra run support. In the fifth inning, the lefty smashed his third career homer, a grand slam, on a two-out, 0-2 pitch against former Braves lefty Alex Wood, as Atlanta cruised.

Grand slams mean 40% off pizza

"I was aware of the stuff that was going on," Garcia said of the trade talk. "Family members and friends reaching out. I knew I was facing the Dodgers tonight, and last night when I went home my focus was 100 percent getting ready for this start."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/243675132/jaime-garcia-hits-grand-slam-off-alex-wood/

Dayum!!
47 :D
48 :(

Grand plan: Garcia lifts Braves amid rumors
Lefty cruises over 7 innings, belts GS off Dodgers' Wood

By Joshua Thornton / MLB.com | 3:29 AM ET

LOS ANGELES -- A day earlier, it seemed Jaime Garcia wouldn't be pitching on Friday night at Dodger Stadium. It was even less likely that he would be hitting a grand slam en route to a 12-3 win over the MLB-best Dodgers.

Instead, the 31-year-old veteran was rumored to be headed to Minnesota to help bolster the Twins' rotation as they made a run for the American League Central crown, but those trade talks stalled and the Braves sent their trade chip to the mound to face a red-hot Dodgers squad.

Full Game Coverage
Garcia (4-7, 4.30 ERA) shook off the trade speculation to not only produce on the mound, throwing seven innings of three-run ball on 91 pitches (59 strikes), but he also provided himself some extra run support. In the fifth inning, the lefty smashed his third career homer, a grand slam, on a two-out, 0-2 pitch against former Braves lefty Alex Wood, as Atlanta cruised.

Grand slams mean 40% off pizza

"I was aware of the stuff that was going on," Garcia said of the trade talk. "Family members and friends reaching out. I knew I was facing the Dodgers tonight, and last night when I went home my focus was 100 percent getting ready for this start."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/243675132/jaime-garcia-hits-grand-slam-off-alex-wood/
Wow! Atlanta's bats went from moribund against the cubs to red hot against the Dodgers. Loved Garcia's grand slam! First by an Atlanta pitcher since 1966 when an Atlanta pitcher hit TWO in one game!

On this date: Maddux throws CG in 78 pitches

On July 22, 1997, Greg Maddux tossed an efficient complete game against the Cubs to lead the Braves to a 4-1 victory.

On this date: Maddux throws CG in 78 pitches

On July 22, 1997, Greg Maddux tossed an efficient complete game against the Cubs to lead the Braves to a 4-1 victory.
Maddox was not a hard thrower like so many today; he was a consummate pitcher who consistently hit his spots.

I really like this line up, but do they need to demote swanson? Looks lost at the plate and seems to fallen behind Carmargo. Guess it depends on how long Phillips is out of traded.

I really like this line up, but do they need to demote swanson? Looks lost at the plate and seems to fallen behind Carmargo. Guess it depends on how long Phillips is out of traded.
Agree ... Swanson is a liability at the plate. Meanwhile, Teheran has given up three homeruns in four of his starts.

This Newcomb kid has good stuff but he doesn't get ahead in the count causing him to throw too many pitches in hitters counts. 81 pitches through 4 innings with only 45 strikes.

Don't understand this trade at all. Gave up Garcia and Recker for nothing.
Twins wrap deal with Braves for Garcia
MINNEAPOLIS -- After nearly completing a trade for Braves left-hander Jaime Garcia late last week, the Twins got their man on Monday, acquiring Garcia, catcher Anthony Recker and cash for prospect Huascar Ynoa.

The Twins and Braves were in advanced discussions on Thursday, but Atlanta didn't feel comfortable with the medicals on pitching prospect Nick Burdi, who is currently recovering from Tommy John surgery. Minnesota opted to instead trade Ynoa, 19, who has posted a 5.26 ERA with 23 strikeouts and 14 walks in 25 2/3 innings with Rookie-level Elizabethton.

Garcia, 31, fills a major need for the Twins, whose starters have combined to post a 4.92 ERA that ranks as the 23rd in the Majors. Garcia has a 4.30 ERA with 85 strikeouts and 41 walks in 113 innings with Atlanta. He has a career 3.65 ERA in 176 games, including 165 starts with the Cardinals and Braves, but he has never pitched in the American League.

Garcia is coming off a solid start against the Dodgers on Friday, allowing three runs over seven innings, while also hitting a grand slam off All-Star Alex Wood.

Garcia is in the final year of his contract, and he is earning $12 million with the Braves after an offseason trade from St. Louis. He's due roughly $4.8 million the rest of the year, but the Twins are receiving cash in the deal. The Twins weren't considered likely to trade for a rental player, but they need starting pitching and are 2 1/2 games back of the Indians in the American League Central and one game back of the second AL Wild Card spot.

Outside of right-handers Ervin Santana (11-7, 3.26 ERA) and Jose Berrios (9-3, 3.50 ERA), the Twins haven't received much consistency from their starters. Injuries have also hurt their depth, as Hector Santiago is on the 10-day disabled list with a back strain, while Phil Hughes is likely out for the year with a recurrence of thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms. Trevor May also had Tommy John surgery before the season.

The Twins recently added veteran Bartolo Colon, who also pitched for the Braves this year. Colon starts against the Dodgers on Monday, and how he fares could determine his future with the club.

Recker, 33, gives the Twins catching depth, and he's a career .199/.283/.348 hitter in 206 games with the A's, Cubs, Mets and Braves in parts of seven seasons. He was hitting .233/.301/.381 with four homers and 10 RBIs in 41 games with Triple-A Gwinnett.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244166024/twins-finish-deal-with-braves-for-jaime-garcia/

Twins wrap deal with Braves for Garcia
MINNEAPOLIS -- After nearly completing a trade for Braves left-hander Jaime Garcia late last week, the Twins got their man on Monday, acquiring Garcia, catcher Anthony Recker and cash for prospect Huascar Ynoa.

The Twins and Braves were in advanced discussions on Thursday, but Atlanta didn't feel comfortable with the medicals on pitching prospect Nick Burdi, who is currently recovering from Tommy John surgery. Minnesota opted to instead trade Ynoa, 19, who has posted a 5.26 ERA with 23 strikeouts and 14 walks in 25 2/3 innings with Rookie-level Elizabethton.

Garcia, 31, fills a major need for the Twins, whose starters have combined to post a 4.92 ERA that ranks as the 23rd in the Majors. Garcia has a 4.30 ERA with 85 strikeouts and 41 walks in 113 innings with Atlanta. He has a career 3.65 ERA in 176 games, including 165 starts with the Cardinals and Braves, but he has never pitched in the American League.

Garcia is coming off a solid start against the Dodgers on Friday, allowing three runs over seven innings, while also hitting a grand slam off All-Star Alex Wood.

Garcia is in the final year of his contract, and he is earning $12 million with the Braves after an offseason trade from St. Louis. He's due roughly $4.8 million the rest of the year, but the Twins are receiving cash in the deal. The Twins weren't considered likely to trade for a rental player, but they need starting pitching and are 2 1/2 games back of the Indians in the American League Central and one game back of the second AL Wild Card spot.

Outside of right-handers Ervin Santana (11-7, 3.26 ERA) and Jose Berrios (9-3, 3.50 ERA), the Twins haven't received much consistency from their starters. Injuries have also hurt their depth, as Hector Santiago is on the 10-day disabled list with a back strain, while Phil Hughes is likely out for the year with a recurrence of thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms. Trevor May also had Tommy John surgery before the season.

The Twins recently added veteran Bartolo Colon, who also pitched for the Braves this year. Colon starts against the Dodgers on Monday, and how he fares could determine his future with the club.

Recker, 33, gives the Twins catching depth, and he's a career .199/.283/.348 hitter in 206 games with the A's, Cubs, Mets and Braves in parts of seven seasons. He was hitting .233/.301/.381 with four homers and 10 RBIs in 41 games with Triple-A Gwinnett.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244166024/twins-finish-deal-with-braves-for-jaime-garcia/
Wow! The bullpen is just hard to watch .... how does wisler stay in this game?

If or should I say when Dickey begins to struggle again (42 yo knuckle baller), this season is toast.

I just don't understand giving a starter away at this point in the season.

Last edited:
And....toast. As for the trade, all the Braves beat writers are harping on the money saved, hoping that the Braves make a move for a more frontline starter with controllable years left on his contract and the money saved will be used for him.

If or should I say when Dickey begins to struggle again (42 yo knuckle baller), this season is toast.

I just don't understand giving a starter away at this point in the season.
The Braves are completing a stretch of 19 straight games where they faced a team in 1st or 2nd place in their division. Brutal. They are 7-10 with two games left in Arizona. Better than I thought they would be. August has some tough games but nothing like July.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT