ADVERTISEMENT

CoronaVirus article

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 9/29/19 till 3/7/20 in the US on the flu:

• CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Thanks RD, it’ll be interesting what this looks like in three more months. I appreciate the intel.

From 9/29/19 till 3/7/20 in the US on the flu:
  • CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.
  • I still expect the death toll to be less than or equal to swine flu.
The 2009 swine flu had 18,000 deaths overall world wide, and so far the global DT for the Covid 19 is around 8,000 so within a few months we’re on track with your statement, but what seems skewed is the CDC estimates of 22,000 deaths listed above seems inaccurate.

With China starting another world outbreak off their dark age exotic food lifestyle and the lack of control measures it’s again costing the world. It’s always crap! From sheet rock illness’s now this.

The 2009 swine flu had 18,000 deaths overall world wide, and so far the global DT for the Covid 19 is around 8,000 so within a few months we’re on track with your statement, but what seems skewed is the CDC estimates of 22,000 deaths listed above seems inaccurate.

With China starting another world outbreak off their dark age exotic food lifestyle and the lack of control measures it’s again costing the world. It’s always crap! From sheet rock illness’s now this.

They've updated those numbers to 203,000 in 2009. Which again doesn't give me much confidence that the CDC knows what they are doing. I'm mean we're again talking about a flu vaccine that had somewhere between 48-58% effectiveness this flu season. It worked well against H1N1 but that's it.

https://www.livescience.com/41539-2009-swine-flu-death-toll-higher.html

They've updated those numbers to 203,000 in 2009. Which again doesn't give me much confidence that the CDC knows what they are doing. I'm mean we're again talking about a flu vaccine that had somewhere between 48-58% effectiveness this flu season. It worked well against H1N1 but that's it.

https://www.livescience.com/41539-2009-swine-flu-death-toll-higher.html
This was Interesting (from the above article)....
The results showed that 62 to 85 percent of those who died in the 2009 pandemic were younger than age 65. Usually, seasonal influenza (not H1N1) has the worst effect on seniors; only 19 percent of seasonal-influenza deaths occur in people age 65 and younger.

Reactions: FSUDoles
My prediction: By May this thing subsides as the country heats up. Respiratory viruses do not like heat and dryness, fact. I'm in FL and the spread here is much slower, even with the spring breakers and spring training. It's already mid-80's here. Texas, same, slower spread. I could wind up eating some crow of course, but this is my theory. It'll subside by May and come back in the Fall when things cool down. I suspect by then we will have a vaccine or close to one.
How do you like your crow served?

The results showed that 62 to 85 percent of those who died in the 2009 pandemic were younger than age 65. Usually, seasonal influenza (not H1N1) has the worst effect on seniors; only 19 percent of seasonal-influenza deaths occur in people age 65 and younger.

Which is the exact opposite with this virus; it’s most deadly to senior citizens.

H1N1 was a weird one....the youngest were most vulnerable as it appears older people must’ve had a derivative of the H1N1 years before and they had antibodies to fight it....exact opposite here.

Reactions: NoleBully
I still expect the death toll to be less than or equal to swine flu.

If it is, it will likely be because of the drastic measures everyone has taken.

There’s also a potential cure from a drug that treats malaria. It’s too early to know if it’s legit or not but it does seem promising. Supposedly has a 100% cure rate so far in a very small sample of 40 people who had the virus. I was skeptical a bit at first but it definitely could be the real deal. Let’s hope so.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/18/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-covid19-cure-study/

Reports of medical material shortages from hospitals, surge in new cases over the last 24 hours...and we are still several days behind Europe as far as the cycle. I’d say we give this at least another few weeks before we say one way or another what the outcome may be. For now, we just need to be willing to do our best to not spread this stuff around

Im left wondering, how much would we be able to look forward to the round if 32 tomorrow with everything transpiring. I know it would be an escape, but a very brief and minuscule one.

It would be an incredible escape, but would be terrible for society to encourage the numerous social gatherings that would inevitably occur to watch basketball. It would also endanger the players, and notably the older coaches. Each day brings more validation to the decision to cancel the tourney.

But man would it be a nice escape. Can’t argue that. I’d love me some Trent, one more time.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
Trio, If IF IF all bars were shut down (like they are now), players, coaches, officials only @ games. And post game team 'quarantines' inacted, why not? How many 1000s of people are playing pick up games today, yesterday, tomorrow?

And golf....theres practically ZERO group gathering, if crowds weren't there.

Baseball... Almost the same. Teams would need to self quarantine. And I'd imagine with spring triaining schedules, it's not that hard.

I know this isn't happening... But could it in some way?

"Good to know people on message boards have theories. I'll take my tin foil hat off and try to trust the folks we put in charge." said a previous comment. Thus far, the federal government and Florida state government (and other state governments) have not shown they merit such trust, having failed miserably responding to this virus. The federal government conducted a simulation of a virus such as this one originating in China and spreading to this country; that report was completed in October, and demonstrated a lack of readiness and coordination, and a potentially catastrophic situation. Our government clearly had sufficient information by mid-January or earlier to require this social distancing and take other measures (gathering supplies, ventilators, tests) but didn't. Here in Florida, we were permitting the Super Bowl, the Daytona 500, spring break, amusement parks, and Bike Week to go forward as usual. If this virus is a serious enough threat to justify these extreme measures, they certainly should have been employed earlier, when they would have been more effective. Instead, we got reassuring happy-talk that all was well and the virus was a "hoax" or would be easily contained. Shameful.

Trio, If IF IF all bars were shut down (like they are now), players, coaches, officials only @ games. And post game team 'quarantines' inacted, why not? How many 1000s of people are playing pick up games today, yesterday, tomorrow?

And golf....theres practically ZERO group gathering, if crowds weren't there.

Baseball... Almost the same. Teams would need to self quarantine. And I'd imagine with spring triaining schedules, it's not that hard.

I know this isn't happening... But could it in some way?
My opinion is that the two biggest impacts would be...

1. Fans gathering to watch
2. People being less mindful of the world we live in, which involves a heck of a lot less focus on any sporting events, and more focus on health, family, and society.

I think number 2 above is probably the biggest thing. We need changes in mindsets, and college basketball would minimize that reality. Just my humble opinion. I’d love to be watching basketball right now.

Reactions: convenit
Care to retract?

Death rate gone down from 1.9 to 1.2% in less than a month. We’re around 250 deaths and I’ve yet to hear of any dying that’s not well over 70. Swine Flu killed over 12,000 people in this country in 2009 so yes at the rate we’re going for deaths it’ll be less. Since you continue to go forward with this morbid campaign because lord know we need another outlet giving us updates on this. :rolleyes:

Reactions: NOLES-RULE
Death rate gone down from 1.9 to 1.2% in less than a month. We’re around 250 deaths and I’ve yet to hear of any dying that’s not well over 70. Swine Flu killed over 12,000 people in this country in 2009 so yes at the rate we’re going for deaths it’ll be less. Since you continue to go forward with this morbid campaign because lord know we need another outlet giving us updates on this. :rolleyes:
Oh so you’ve got your head buried in the sand and also are only counting domestic deaths? Got it

Lots of deaths under 70 btw

Worldwide

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

Worldwide

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities
I’m not really sure how you posted debunks my point.

Oh so you’ve got your head buried in the sand and also are only counting domestic deaths? Got it

Your continual posts on this read like the sandwich board guy in time square that tries to convince everyone that the world is about to end.

Your continual posts on this read like the sandwich board guy in time square that tries to convince everyone that the world is about to end.
That’s your interpretation. I don’t think the world is about to end. I do think that this issue should be taken seriously, especially its importance versus March Madness.

Reactions: trio13
Some not all just to set the record straight.
Sincere questions here...

1. Who in the cdc (or who, or anywhere) with credibility is saying this is just another flu? I see that nowhere.
2. Who do you think is winning in this whole thing? In other words, why would we push ourselves into another Great Recession, without sincere concern?

again, I’m not trying to make points. You’re a great poster on these boards, which is why I’m particularly interested in your opinion.

Reactions: supergreennole

WHO estimates the H1N1 had 575,000 deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT