ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like there was a hazing death at FSU over the weekend

Great Move by Thrasher..Greeks are totally out of control at FSU and the whole thing needed to be shut down..hopefully this is permanent and not just for a year..Thrasher does not mess around

So you and some of your family have a fantastical perception of FSU greek life and since one of them didn't go greek and now makes big time locker room money, fraternities and sororities should be banned. Makes sense

why are you bent about this btw.

There is something deeper going on.

Reactions: LesClaypool
The view among campus mental health professionals of the Greek system is pretty grim, with most of my colleagues preferring to see the entire culture and institution dismantled entirely. I don’t go that far, though I do think that Greek houses need to be completely dry and have a university house manager in residence.

UCLA has an interesting dynamic in that there are 10-20x more non-Greek student organizations than there are Greek organizations. The Greek orgs are explicitly a niche for students who want to drink and hook-up, and most students who join tend to have their fun for a year or two and then exit the system.

That's great for UCLA, and I like the idea of strong non-Greek student orgs. My daughter didn't get into a sorority and was briefly devastated. She never wanted to get into a sorority but got talked into going out for rush and she figured it couldn't hurt. She is not a "sales-platinum blond" and there were far more girls going for a sorority than slots available. She is now happy she didn't make it.

The problem with making houses dry is that the parties only move off campus, and then everybody drives or ubers instead of walks. Uber is fine, but drunk driving is not. It's why the Penn State pledge died. If they called an ambulance, they would have suffered repercussions. If the drinking age was 18, there would have been no issues with calling 911.

My Greek experience is more than 30 years ago. Some of the best friends to this day are fraternity brothers. The house was a home away from home with common friends and experience for four years. Yes there were lots of parties, but that's not why I joined.

Reactions: F4Gary and RTM58
Great Move by Thrasher..Greeks are totally out of control at FSU and the whole thing needed to be shut down..hopefully this is permanent and not just for a year..Thrasher does not mess around

Out of control? How so?

If you want an example of "out of control," look no further than the Florida Senate where our university president spent over a decade as a member and served as leader. Maybe he and his friends should clean up their own act before dictating elsewhere.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...da-senate-police-itself-on-sexual-harassment/

Incompetent & unqualified university president suspends all greek activities indefinitely.

http://www.fsunews.com/story/news/2...kappa-phi-fraternity-pledges-death/836055001/

National IFC needs to hire an attorney to protect the students constitutional rights. A few years back, UCF tried the same stunt.. Panhellenic had an attorney send a letter, and UCF quickly backed off knowing they would lose. IFC must have lacked the organization and all fraternities lost an entire year of pledges.

My fraternity at FSU is no longer, and the admin banned brothers from associating with pledges. What legal right does the university have to say that two people can't associate with each other?

Exactly!

To be fair, they should ban drinking at any event with more than four students.

A ban on alcohol has also been issued at all Recognized Student Organization events during the interim suspension. “All of our student organizations – Greek organizations and the other recognized student organizations on campus – must step up. They will have to participate in the solution,” Thrasher said.

Occam's razor you say......

uva-rollingstone-sa.jpg

Yes. to be fair, they should ban drinking, even at bars and restaurants, where more than four students are present.

National IFC needs to hire an attorney to protect the students constitutional rights. A few years back, UCF tried the same stunt.. Panhellenic had an attorney send a letter, and UCF quickly backed off knowing they would lose. IFC must have lacked the organization and all fraternities lost an entire year of pledges.

My fraternity at FSU is no longer, and the admin banned brothers from associating with pledges. What legal right does the university have to say that two people can't associate with each other?

This is what I hope, and expect, will happen, one or more organizations will seek relief in federal court.

FSU has banned Greek Life on campus. Should have been done before now. I commend FSU and Thrasher for making this decision.

That's awful harsh. Why would you care what other people do through their voluntary actions?

Here is another example of the precived culture of FSU:

My niece, who graduated high school 2 years ago was accepted to FSU. She has been a life long die hard fan. Super cute and super smart, and would be a great fit for the university.

The only problem is, she didnt want to go to school there because she was intimidated by the party culture she had heard so much about. She was flat out scared, I kid you not. She elected to go to community college and then FSU PC campus, which is where she is now.

I remember trying to convince her it wasn’t this crazy place where you have to be hammered in ordered to fit in etc. She was having none of it though.

Her older sister went to FSU in Tallahassee and she stayed alway from the Greek scene and got her bachelors by the time she 20. She is now 25 and makes 6 figures and does whatever she wants during her free time. She did it right.

Your niece needs to put on her big girl panties and be the adult that she is. Perhaps if the temptation was too great, she was smart to go elsewhere. Congrats on her older sister. Lots of students are successful without partying.

Believe it or not, we had guys in my fraternity who drank NOTHING. Ever. We did spike the punch at lunch one day to see if one would get a buzz. Nobody really cared if you drank or not, but there was plenty of encouragement. It really depended on who you associated with.

Reactions: RTM58
Out of control? How so?

If you want an example of "out of control," look no further than the Florida Senate where our university president spent over a decade as a member and served as leader. Maybe he and his friends should clean up their own act before dictating elsewhere.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...da-senate-police-itself-on-sexual-harassment/[/QUOTE/

FSU greek system is a sewer right now...lemme see out of control drinking..drugs..crime wave....about to be a huge Drug Traffic Ring Bust that Greeks are involved in...FSU also leads in Hazing Issues

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/04/01/fsu-leads-sus-hazing-reports/82440388/

So yeah it's a great move by Thrasher as he knows how bad this looks for FSU..certainly did not help either that it happened on Parents Weekend

There are some crappy Greek representatives. There are also some crappy non-Greek representatives. No problem with a moment of thoughtful pause, but let’s not punish kids who have done nothing wrong.

What are we doing about the non-Greek kids doing drugs and all of the other chicanery?

Reactions: RTM58 and surfnole
"1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes"

And in Greek life this year, we have heard of three nationally. Penn State, LSU? and FSU.

Accusing Greeks is a problem looking for a cause. What percentage of the below are Greek? Greek is an easy target because they have an organization that can be attacked. And the universities have a better chance of controlling Greek drinking because there is an organization that can enforce the message instead of relying on mass emails and awareness campaigns.

Consequences—Researchers estimate that each year:
  • 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes.22
  • 696,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.23
  • 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 report experiencing alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.23
  • Roughly 20 percent of college students meet the criteria for AUD.24
  • About 1 in 4 college students report academic consequences from drinking, including missing class, falling behind in class, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall.25

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
It is simply a politician grandstanding, "doing something." There isn't much evidence of a problem other than a student died. In a population of around 40 thousand, that will happen. As has been pointed out in this thread already, pretty much anything can be classified as hazing. As was also pointed out, FSU conducted 21 investigations into fraternity hazing recently and came up empty every single time. Rather than acknowledging that the accusations were unfounded, administrators publicly lamented a "culture of silence."

Again, if there is evidence that this particular fraternity broke a rule, then punish them. There is zero reason to punish everyone else.

Is it possible that Thrasher, the Chief of Police and VP of Students Affairs are privy to a lot more information they are not at liberty to disclose at the present time? For example, did you listen when Thrasher's said that a FSU fraternity member has also just been arrested for selling cocaine out of his fraternity house?

Since Thrasher is not an elected official, is it possible that he is actually trying to do something good for the safety and in the best interests of FSU students?

When a pledge dies at a fraternity party and another fraternity member get arrested for selling cocaine out of a fraternity house, then I would submit that it is entirely possible that FSU greek life is broken dumpster fire and needs a serious reboot.

Good for Thrasher and team.

"1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes"

And in Greek life this year, we have heard of three nationally. Penn State, LSU? and FSU.

Accusing Greeks is a problem looking for a cause. What percentage of the below are Greek? Greek is an easy target because they have an organization that can be attacked.

Consequences—Researchers estimate that each year:
  • 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes.22
  • 696,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.23
  • 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 report experiencing alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.23
  • Roughly 20 percent of college students meet the criteria for AUD.24
  • About 1 in 4 college students report academic consequences from drinking, including missing class, falling behind in class, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall.25

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Greeks will be back soon enough. FSU needs their donations. Thrasher is no fool, and he’s also a politician (and a Sig Ep). Maybe some changes are needed, but let’s not punish the kids who are not part of the problem.

Oh look. John Thrasher was a Sig Ep. Pot meet kettle.

• There are over 9 million Greek members nationally
  • Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
  • 85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
  • 40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
  • 76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
  • Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
  • 63% of the U.S. President’s Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
  • A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
  • A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
  • Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
  • Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
  • 1 st Female Senator was Greek
  • 1 st Female Astronaut was Greek
  • All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
  • Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
  • The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
  • 71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity
  • As Alumni, Greeks give approximately 75% of all money donated to universities
  • There are 123 fraternities and sororities with 9 million members total
  • There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Thrasher

http://thefraternityadvisor.com/greek-life-statistics/

That's awful harsh. Why would you care what other people do through their voluntary actions?
Harsh? Kids are dieing and excessive alcohol use and hazing is a major problem. It's not harsh and should have happened a while ago.

• Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
  • A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
  • A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
  • Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
  • Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
  • The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
  • There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada

What does this have to do with today? What would you do if this was your son who died? Or better yet what is your solution?

Your niece needs to put on her big girl panties and be the adult that she is. Perhaps if the temptation was too great, she was smart to go elsewhere. Congrats on her older sister. Lots of students are successful without partying.

Believe it or not, we had guys in my fraternity who drank NOTHING. Ever. We did spike the punch at lunch one day to see if one would get a buzz. Nobody really cared if you drank or not, but there was plenty of encouragement. It really depended on who you associated with.

You’re first sentence started off strong and challenging and then you commend her in the next sentence...sooooo, yeah.

My point to that post was that FSU’s reputation for partying out weighs its reputation for a good education.

I see it in my life too, this literally happened to me a couple weeks ago at an event: I meet a group of new people while eating lunch at function. Our schools become topic of conversation; one person says UF, another days UGA, and another says GT. We talk about old times etc...when FSU is mentioned everyone says, I bet you had a great time, FSU is such a party school.

I kid you not, this literally happens all the time. That reputatation was a badge of honor for the longest time, but I don’t like so much anymore.

Man...I sound like a total dork. I’ll stop talking.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
I have a lot of mixed thoughts & feelings on this. I was in a fraternity my whole time at FSU in the early 80s. I enjoyed myself, and developed a lot of friendships with a variety of guys from different backgrounds. Some I'm still close friends with today, some I haven't seen since I graduated. I did my fair share of partying and hard drinking with some of them; others didn't drink at all.

I lived in Smith Hall my first year at FSU. I enjoyed myself, and developed friendships with a number of guys from different backgrounds. Some I'm still friends with, some I haven't seen since the end of the school year in that sweatbox. I did my fair share of partying and hard drinking with them, too.

The only time I've ever had enough to drink that I was a candidate for alcohol poisoning was not related to either of the above; it was while I was playing soccer at a small Methodist college in Georgia. Some of my teammates were partying with me, but plenty of those at the party weren't on the team - they were just friends. I foolishly was pounding straight vodka, and really am probably lucky I didn't harm myself.

I don't particularly think it's right to punish the entire Greek system at FSU due to the actions of one particular fraternity. Kinda seems similar to shutting down all of a school's athletic programs because their basketball coach funneled money to a couple of players, or shutting down all of the Big 10s football teams because Urbie cheated. Punish those who did wrong, not everyone.

That said, I won't be disappointed if my sons' choose not to go Greek when they go to college - but if they do, I'll support them & hope they turn out ok.

My niece, who graduated high school 2 years ago was accepted to FSU. She has been a life long die hard fan. Super cute and super smart, and would be a great fit for the university.

The only problem is, she didnt want to go to school there because she was intimidated by the party culture she had heard so much about. She was flat out scared, I kid you not. She elected to go to community college and then FSU PC campus, which is where she is now.

I remember trying to convince her it wasn’t this crazy place where you have to be hammered in ordered to fit in etc. She was having none of it though.

Her older sister went to FSU in Tallahassee and she stayed alway from the Greek scene and got her bachelors by the time she 20. She is now 25 and makes 6 figures and does whatever she wants during her free time. She did it right.

BTW Dance, you've been here long enough to know there are rulz.

Reactions: surfnole
I have a lot of mixed thoughts & feelings on this. I was in a fraternity my whole time at FSU in the early 80s. I enjoyed myself, and developed a lot of friendships with a variety of guys from different backgrounds. Some I'm still close friends with today, some I haven't seen since I graduated. I did my fair share of partying and hard drinking with some of them; others didn't drink at all.

I lived in Smith Hall my first year at FSU. I enjoyed myself, and developed friendships with a number of guys from different backgrounds. Some I'm still friends with, some I haven't seen since the end of the school year in that sweatbox. I did my fair share of partying and hard drinking with them, too.

The only time I've ever had enough to drink that I was a candidate for alcohol poisoning was not related to either of the above; it was while I was playing soccer at a small Methodist college in Georgia. Some of my teammates were partying with me, but plenty of those at the party weren't on the team - they were just friends. I foolishly was pounding straight vodka, and really am probably lucky I didn't harm myself.

I don't particularly think it's right to punish the entire Greek system at FSU due to the actions of one particular fraternity. Kinda seems similar to shutting down all of a school's athletic programs because their basketball coach funneled money to a couple of players, or shutting down all of the Big 10s football teams because Urbie cheated. Punish those who did wrong, not everyone.

That said, I won't be disappointed if my sons' choose not to go Greek when they go to college - but if they do, I'll support them & hope they turn out ok.

You anaglogy is apple and oranges though.

Compairing the culture is the football team to the culture of the basketball is not the same.

This would be more like MLB and steroid use to me. It was out of hand in all club houses on some level, some more than others. But they were all guilty to some degree.

Harsh? Kids are dieing and excessive alcohol use and hazing is a major problem. It's not harsh and should have happened a while ago.

Hazing is not a major problem. You have no idea what you are talking about. See my stats on more than 1800 college kids dying per year from alcohol and we have three confirmed incidents with fraternities. It's nothing more than the PC.

inThe Greek orgs are explicitly a niche for students who want to drink and hook-up, and most students who join tend to have their fun for a year or two and then exit the system.

Sounds spot on to me. I spent one year in a frat and it was the worst year of my life. Partying/ drunk/ drugs every night... half of my pledge flunked out. Absolutely ridiculous....

You’re first sentence started off strong and challenging and then you commend her in the next sentence...sooooo, yeah.

My point to that post was that FSU’s reputation for partying out weighs its reputation for a good education.

I see it in my life too, this literally happened to me a couple weeks ago at an event: I meet a group of new people while eating lunch at function. Our schools become topic of conversation; one person says UF, another days UGA, and another says GT. We talk about old times etc...when FSU is mentioned everyone says, I bet you had a great time, FSU is such a party school.

I kid you not, this literally happens all the time. That reputatation was a badge of honor for the longest time, but I don’t like so much anymore.

Man...I sound like a total dork. I’ll stop talking.

LOL. But UF ends up on the top ten party schools in the Playboy poll too. Georgia Tech maybe not so much.

My son is a member of the fraternity in question at FSU. Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in accounting in 2016. Now training to be a Navy pilot in Pensacola. Flying is all he wanted to do since he was three years old. You will not meet a finer individual.

He is very disciplined and saw through the BS. At that age, I had no real goals other than getting a degree, so I went with the flow.

The victim in this story could have been me although I was never hazed by my standards. Not the university standards that count any harsh word as hazing. And so far, there is no mention of hazing. It was a bigbro littlebro introduction night.

Hazing doesn't happen then.. Just lots of drinking..kind of like the wedding reception I went to this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Nole and RTM58
Hazing is not a major problem. You have no idea what you are talking about. See my stats on more than 1800 college kids dying per year from alcohol and we have three confirmed incidents with fraternities. It's nothing more than the PC.
Well you may not like it but it's happening and in my opinion I am happy it finally is.

LOL. But UF ends up on the top ten party schools in the Playboy poll too. Georgia Tech maybe not so much.

My son is a member of the fraternity in question Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in accounting in 2016. Now training to be a Navy pilot in Pensacola. Flying is all he wanted to do since he was three years old.

He is very disciplined and saw through the BS. At that age, I had no real goals other than getting a degree, so I went with the flow.

The victim in this story could have been me although I was never hazed by my standards. Not the university standards that count any harsh word as hazing.

Exactly my point: we can still be a fun school without having the reputation of being spring break 24/7. We shouldn’t have young girls who are attractive and smart scared to come to FSU.

Thrasher calling a timeout helps get us to that point. It’s good publicity for the school, and the right thing to do.

Bravo!

The biggest shit sales job the chapter President tried to give me was: 1) Greeks care about grades 2) they help the public by doing community service 3) some of them don’t drink 4) some go on to being PHD’s, doctors and engineers

Biggest bunch of shit I’ve heard in my life— all four

The problem with making houses dry is that the parties only move off campus, and then everybody drives or ubers instead of walks. Uber is fine, but drunk driving is not. It's why the Penn State pledge died. If they called an ambulance, they would have suffered repercussions. If the drinking age was 18, there would have been no issues with calling 911.
Our situation here at UCLA is different due to the urban setting. Almost the entire student body lives within a ten-minute walk to campus, and all of the Greek houses are off-campus and literally on the same blocks with the non-Greek apartments. We also have a major emergency department on-campus and accessible to the neighborhood. I strongly support the idea of having centralized and accessible venues for students' drinking on-campus. Campus bars with campus transportation immediately and freely accessible would go a long way to helping the situation.

Do you actually have any evidence for this statement?

Physical evidence??? No
Subjective evidence?? Yes.

You’re being overly emotional and defensive about this.

My guess is that you were part of a suspension back in your day, or that you have lived through some event that is similar.

Something is going on though.

Reactions: LesClaypool

UGA is on there too - “lots of hard liquor,” at no. 4, and “best alumni network,” at no. 20. They topped it just a few years ago. But with UF, they have that Harvard of the South thing going so I guess it's ok. At times like these, you appreciate their alums.

From that article:
"The cases were unfounded"

If this was a big brother/little brother party, then there most likely wasn't any hazing going on. Sounds like the 20 year old drank too much, passed out, threw up and drowned. Just going by what was posted.

Reactions: surfnole
The biggest shit sales job the chapter President tried to give me was: 1) Greeks care about grades 2) they help the public by doing community service 3) some of them don’t drink 4) some go on to being PHD’s, doctors and engineers

Biggest bunch of shit I’ve heard in my life— all four

No. They do care about grades because pledges who don't make grades get booted.

Did you see my earlier post about Greeks having a higher GPA than non-greeks? And they do perform community service but I agree that is ancillary and forced. In regards to advancement, see my earlier post. This does not mean that non-greeks can't advance, it only means that many of our leaders were greek and possibly sought out organization of which to be a member.

Exactly my point: we can still be a fun school without having the reputation of being spring break 24/7. We shouldn’t have young girls who are attractive and smart scared to come to FSU.

Thrasher calling a timeout helps get us to that point. It’s good publicity for the school, and the right thing to do.

But Thrasher can't violate anybody's Constitutional rights of free association. Maybe there is some contract with students of which I am unaware.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT