ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like there was a hazing death at FSU over the weekend

Man I do love these frat threads. I know very little about frats I was 27 and still in the military when I went to FSU and having some 20 y/o kid give me crap would not have ended well for anyone.
I do have a nephew in a very well known frat that has had issues in the past right now and I have yet to see a picture he has posted on social media that doesn't have red solo cups all over the place. I am sure they are filled with diet coke though.

But Thrasher can't violate anybody's Constitutional rights of free association. Maybe there is some contract with students of which I am unaware.

Yeah, I don’t know how that works either. They’re is clearly some type of authority they have over them.

And the kids that are currently in a sorority or fraternity won’t be that affected. It will be more of a blow to the new kids who come on campus...if it even last that long.

This is all a perception thing for the University. Thrasher is getting in front of this before any potential terrible stories come out.

No. They do care about grades because pledges who don't make grades get booted.

Did you see my earlier post about Greeks having a higher GPA than non-greeks? And they do perform community service but I agree that is ancillary and forced. In regards to advancement, see my earlier post. This does not mean that non-greeks can't advance, it only means that many of our leaders were greek and possibly sought out organization of which to be a member.
Anything to do with test banks?

Harsh? Kids are dieing and excessive alcohol use and hazing is a major problem. It's not harsh and should have happened a while ago.

So you are a pseudo vigilante Social Justice Warrior. You throw the baby out with bathwater. There was no hazing going on here. It doesn't happen on a bigbro/littlebro night. It is a celebration.

See my other post about alcohol related deaths among college kids. More than 1800 versus 3 in the Greek world.

Harsh? Kids are dieing and excessive alcohol use and hazing is a major problem. It's not harsh and should have happened a while ago.

And who would you blame if your best friend's son died of a heroine overdose?

And who would you blame if your best friend's son died of a heroine overdose?
You seem to be pretty upset about this. How about you call/email FSU and talk to Thrasher about it. I have no desire to argue with you any further.

Last edited:
You seem to be pretty upset about this. How about you call/email FSU and talk to Thacker about it. I have no desire to argue with you any further.

Thacker isn't with the team anymore, but his girlfriend will be missed.

Reactions: ericram

And all of the Communications and Business Admin majors....

Surf- I know you were different, having the tough degree of CS (unless I’m thinking of someone else), but you can admit that you were in the minority. We have ONE kid do engineering out of 90 in the entire frat.

Exactly my point: we can still be a fun school without having the reputation of being spring break 24/7. We shouldn’t have young girls who are attractive and smart scared to come to FSU.

Thrasher calling a timeout helps get us to that point. It’s good publicity for the school, and the right thing to do.

What legal authority does Thrasher have to call a timeout?

It seems to me that the admins are violating the fraternity members and pledges of constitutional rights. Can he ban all greek orgs unilaterally

Reactions: goldmom
Man I do love these frat threads. I know very little about frats I was 27 and still in the military when I went to FSU and having some 20 y/o kid give me crap would not have ended well for anyone.
I do have a nephew in a very well known frat that has had issues in the past right now and I have yet to see a picture he has posted on social media that doesn't have red solo cups all over the place. I am sure they are filled with diet coke though.

Just like the ones at that bastion of higher education and morality, UF

22280430_538033316537122_67874738273255424_n.jpg
23161527_1984903355088580_1128810936891604992_n.jpg

Last edited:
No Greeks? No Homecoming parade, various fund raising activities for charities, participation in most campus events, etc. Cancel them or have a 5 minute parade.
This will be reversed soon. VERY powerful Greek alums won't let this stand for long.
By all means terminate Pi Kaps charter.

Reactions: RTM58

My daughter stays a couple of blocks from Sorority Row down there. She says that any cliches you've heard about the girls there is true!

It seems to me that the admins are violating the fraternity members and pledges of constitutional rights. Can he ban all greek orgs unilaterally

Don’t know this and never claimed too. Said in my first post that I’m assuming Thrasher has the right to make this call.

That is whole different topic.

Hello everyone, this is a suspensions of activities. Not ending all Greek lifeon campus forever.

This will force all the fraternities and sororities to come to the table to discuss and solve these issues.

What connection do the other frats and sororities? How did they participate in this death?

You seem to be pretty upset about this. How about you call/email FSU and talk to Thrasher about it. I have no desire to argue with you any further.

I am really not arguing. Just debating. No malice intended. I like opposing viewpoints. When newspapers were relevant I used to write "Letters to the Editor" and had several published. I have no bad will toward you.

One of my friend's sons and one of my son's best friends before college is a heroin addict.

Reactions: ericram and RTM58
No Greeks? No Homecoming parade, various fund raising activities for charities, participation in most campus events, etc. Cancel them or have a 5 minute parade.
This will be reversed soon. VERY powerful Greek alums won't let this stand for long.

Terminate the chapter forever, or indefinitely?

Terminate the chapter forever, or indefinitely?

Can't be determined. Remember the Pikes were supposed to be "forever"? Well they're not only back, they're at the top of the heap with a house the size of a major resort.

And all of the Communications and Business Admin majors....

Surf- I know you were different, having the tough degree of CS (unless I’m thinking of someone else), but you can admit that you were in the minority. We have ONE kid do engineering out of 90 in the entire frat.

Yes. I was in the minority And I resented all the business majors who never studied and skated..But...I now work for all those guys and some are fantastically successful. Some have cratered. Many make way more money than me, but that is the way of the market and the world. If you can bring in profits for the company, you are golden.

One of my friends told me all he need was a 2.0 to get his degree, because he knew he wanted to go into sales. So he graduated with a low GPA, got into sales, and has done very well. Much better financially than me. I don't regret him that because he has different skills and the market wants that.

At the senior levels, money and profits are all about relationships. Those good at relationships thrive.

Last edited:

No constitutional violation. Each fraternity and sorority, if they want to be recognized by the school, agree to abide by IFC's rules. Thrasher merely suspended IFC and the school's association with each organization. The young men and young ladies can still meet for chapter and do their activities, but they acting independently of the school.

I enjoyed most of my time as a Fiji. It was a unique group of young men and organization and, for the most part, it was a home away from home. But the enjoyment waned as I got older, probably like most everything. My time with IFC and the time I spent around TPD and state attorney's office soured me on a lot of fraternities and sororities around campus. The infiltration of alcohol and drugs removed a lot of the organization from their core beliefs.

I am really not arguing. Just debating. No malice intended. I like opposing viewpoints. When newspapers were relevant I used to write "Letters to the Editor" and had several published. I have no bad will toward you.

One of my friend's sons and one of my son's best friends before college is a heroin addict.
Thanks and sorry for your loss. A letter to the editor might still work here if you feel so inclined.

Reactions: surfnole
Thanks for the clarification. For my fraternity, when they got kicked off campus a few years ago, the FSU admin forbid brothers associating with pledges. I may be mistaken, and I don't want to search through my emails.

Maybe Greeks need to disacociate (sp?) with universities and be private clubs subject to the law and not campus policy.

Good to know that your allegiance to your drinking buddies is stronger than to your school. And that you're willing to openly threaten the university.

23161527_1984903355088580_1128810936891604992_n.jpg

Not following this. my nephew goes to FSU and I no doubt he parties real hard. He actually joined this frat when he was at TCC and again this is a very well known frat. Regardless of frat stuff why would you ever post picture of you drinking alcohol on social media. Just seems lie an idea that is bad.

Thanks for the clarification. For my fraternity, when they got kicked off campus a few years ago, the FSU admin forbid brothers associating with pledges. I may be mistaken, and I don't want to search through my emails.

Maybe Greeks need to disacociate (sp?) with universities and be private clubs subject to the law and not campus policy.

Their nationals would not allow that. The "Firemen" (PIKES post-suspension) were independent from the school and nationals, with alumni funding. Met at one of the private off-campus housing buildings for several years until got large enough and enough support to try to restart a colony.

Good to know that your allegiance to your drinking buddies is stronger than to your school. And that you're willing to openly threaten the university.

As usual you didn't read my post correctly.
1. I have no drinking buddies because I hardly EVER drink
2. I have a strong allegiance to FSU - financially and emotionally.
3. At no point did I threaten the University. I don't have the power to make threats of any sort. I'm pointing out the facts as to the large influence some alumni have.

Your emotionally overwrought personal attacks are tiresome and baseless.

Reactions: squiffynole
As usual you didn't read my post correctly.
1. I have no drinking buddies because I hardly EVER drink
2. I have a strong allegiance to FSU - financially and emotionally.
3. At no point did I threaten the University. I don't have the power to make threats of any sort. I'm pointing out the facts as to the large influence some alumni have.

Your emotionally overwrought personal attacks are tiresome and baseless.
Right, the comments about financial influences and "VERY powerful greeks" were just observations and not suggestions that people like yourself would use the withholding of money/influence to change policy you disagree with.

Why terminate their charter? We don't know what happened yet at this off campus party. Maybe suspension for now? What is due process? Maybe this guy just drank too much by his own volition and drowned on his vomit? Maybe not?

Right, the comments about financial influences and "VERY powerful greeks" were just observations and not suggestions that people like yourself would use the withholding of money/influence to change policy you disagree with.
Actually, that IS right.
Again, people like myself? I have zero influence. I have no plans to withhold donations. Go bark up another tree.

And what is wrong with test banks? If a professor is too lazy to change his test, he should expect people to know the answer. Particularly It's no different than the current companies that attend class and provide notes to students so they don't have to attend. Companies now fill the place of fraternities in regards to test banks. Professors now run essays through a website to check for plagiarism.

I conducted a phone job interview recently with a candidate who quoted the first google hit verbatim. LOL. He didn't make the cut.

I was googling because I didn't know the answer although I did at one time when I was technical. The tech interviewers are very good at asking tech questions that can't be googled on a phone interview.

In my computer assembly class final, we had four questions on the exam. Each should have taken perhaps 30 minutes to solve. Because there were only four questions, I had them memorized. When I got home, I gave them to a friend (a fraternity brother) because he was my friend (not fratbro) and had not taken the class yet. He overslept and made it to the final one hour late. Two of the four questions on the exam were ones I gave him.

Oh...and now he has done well in his field and probably makes 5x me.

From what I heard by talking with students at FSU this past weekend, who are children of friends, this was not about hazing. It had something to do with Pledge-Brother night out and the kid apparently drank a lot of liquor.

And what is wrong with test banks? If a professor is too lazy to change his test, he should expect people to know the answer. Particularly It's no different than the current companies that attend class and provide notes to students so they don't have to attend. Companies now fill the place of fraternities in regards to test banks. Professors now run essays through a website to check for plagiarism.

I conducted a phone job interview recently with a candidate who quoted the first google hit verbatim. LOL. He didn't make the cut.

I was googling because I didn't know the answer although I did at one time when I was technical. The tech interviewers are very good at asking tech questions that can't be googled on a phone interview.

In my computer assembly class final, we had four questions on the exam. Each should have taken perhaps 30 minutes to solve. Because there were only four questions, I had them memorized. When I got home, I gave them to a friend (a fraternity brother) because he was my friend (not fratbro) and had not taken the class yet. He overslept and made it to the final one hour late. Two of the four questions on the exam were ones I gave him.

Oh...and now he has done well in his field and probably makes 5x me.
You make my point for me. I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, I simply point to them as a reason when better gpa was brought up. It is a resource not available to all.

My allegiance to my friends — many of whom are my fraternity brothers, but that’s not exclusively the case — is FAR stronger than any allegiance I have to FSU. I would hope that’s true of everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT