ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like there was a hazing death at FSU over the weekend

You make my point for me. I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, I simply point to them as a reason when better gpa was brought up. It is a resource not available to all.

Perhaps true when I went to school in the 1980s. But in the days of Internet no longer. I never once benefited from the test bank and we really didn't have much of one. But I did give my friend for questions on the final and he benefited the next semester

U1WlGb.jpg

Reactions: NoleLizards
Not following this. my nephew goes to FSU and I no doubt he parties real hard. Regardless of frat stuff why would you ever post picture of you drinking alcohol on social media. Just seems like an idea that is bad.

Just having fun with red solo cups and gators(girls). Sorority girls aren't supposed to post pics drinking, or at least not of them at the sorority house.

I would have to agree with you about posting pics on social media, but the times they are a changing. For God's sake people, if you do use snapchat. It's not just for nudes.

Just having fun with red solo cups and gators(girls). Sorority girls aren't supposed to post pics drinking, or at least not of them at the sorority house.

I would have to agree with you about posting pics on social media, but the times they are a changing. For God's sake people, if you do use snapchat. It's not just for nudes.

Gotcha. As far as social media the stuff young and old people post is mind blowing. We had a cyber expert, who used to be in the FBI and ran some big cyber dept. come to our kids school. She gave a presentation to parents separately and then kids and parents. What these kids and I am sure number of adults don't know about social media is scary. She gave example after example of people not being hired, losing scholarships etc. due to postings on social media and I am not talking about saying something about politics or whatever; just pictures of you in what could be considered a compromising position. She detailed 1 story about a HS kid who posted a picture of herself looking a little wasted and with a drink in her hand. The girl was going to college on a scholarship and the school yanked the scholarship. This cyber lady said that everything and anything you have ever posted is out there forever and can be found. She said if you truly wanted to wipe your social media history it would cost 20k-30k and there is no guarantee it would all be gone.

Reactions: RTM58
Gotcha. As far as social media the stuff young and old people post is mind blowing. We had a cyber expert, who used to be in the FBI and ran some big cyber dept. come to our kids school. She gave a presentation to parents separately and then kids and parents. What these kids and I am sure number of adults don't know about social media is scary. She gave example after example of people not being hired, losing scholarships etc. due to postings on social media and I am not talking about saying something about politics or whatever; just pictures of you in what could be considered a compromising position. She detailed 1 story about a HS kid who posted a picture of herself looking a little wasted and with a drink in her hand. The girl was going to college on a scholarship and the school yanked the scholarship. This cyber lady said that everything and anything you have ever posted is out there forever and can be found. She said if you truly wanted to wipe your social media history it would cost 20k-30k and there is no guarantee it would all be gone.

Part of our pre-hiring due diligence involves a fairly in-depth social media analysis. We pay a vendor to do it.....pretty shocking some of the things you find. Plenty of candidates have been rejected based solely on those findings, even though the candidates were otherwise "on track" to be hired. Young kids don't understand the significance of some of the junk they throw out there.

Reactions: goldmom and DFSNOLE
Part of our pre-hiring due diligence involves a fairly in-depth social media analysis. We pay a vendor to do it.....pretty shocking some of the things you find. Plenty of candidates have been rejected based solely on those findings, even though the candidates were otherwise "on track" to be hired. Young kids don't understand the significance of some of the junk they throw out there.
Isn't that the truth. For years, my wife was the director of a Christian preschool. She would friend all of her employees on the various social media platforms. It amazed her how often she had to pull a young employee into her office about words and pictures posted. Those kids just didn't think.

If true. I don't even understand how that is legal.

Fraterno American lives matter ! ;^)
Well if they got a warrant, then there is no issue, and if there is nothing to find then the houses etc. have nothing to worry about either. If this info is accurate then I have to think this goes way deeper than an unfortunate death at a frat party. Guess we will see.

There are some crappy Greek representatives. There are also some crappy non-Greek representatives. No problem with a moment of thoughtful pause, but let’s not punish kids who have done nothing wrong.

What are we doing about the non-Greek kids doing drugs and all of the other chicanery?

A pledge to not drink or do drugs followed up with mandatory alcohol and drug testing with immediate expulsion for anyone who tests positive would do the trick. Extreme sure but we are trying to save lives, right? Liability is the main issue here.

I don't disagree with an immediate suspension as it will allow FSU to work on ideas to better protect their students and an opportunity to meet with all the fraternity leaders to further their education in minimizing risks. It is a good wake up call for all those involved in Greek life.

Many years have passed since I was at the Sig Ep house but the parties off campus were much more dangerous in ways I think we all witnessed and have forgotten about. At the frat house there was a larger chance of having an individual or two typically in a leadership role that felt some of responsibility in keeping a minimal amount of control. A cursory look at some stats show almost double of alcohol consumed at off campus events compared to on campus. I would not be surprised if alcohol/drug OD mortality rates are much higher too.

The easier approach is just do away with the entire system but do we feel any better about a student death off campus? What about the responsible frat members who have ended up saving one of their brothers from harm outside the public spot light? Is there not potential for good here as well or is it all about peer pressure to have others drink to their demise? That was not the Greek life I witnessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Isn't that the truth. For years, my wife was the director of a Christian preschool. She would friend all of her employees on the various social media platforms. It amazed her how often she had to pull a young employee into her office about words and pictures posted. Those kids just didn't think.

My daughter is an executive recruiter who says the same thing. She suggests just bringing all the stupid drinking pics you've posted on Facebook with you to an interview and save your prospective employer time on your background check, because your social media IS becoming a routine part of that check.
She took down her social stuff years ago.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My daughter is an executive recruiter who says the same thing. She suggests just bringing all the stupid drinking pics you've posted on Facebook with you to an interview and save your prospective employer time on your background check, because your social media IS becoming a routine part of that check.

Someone has to make an executive decision on when drunken bikini pictures cross the line from “innocent good fun” to “unacceptable sleaziness.” I graciously agreed to undertake that analysis for my organization. It is a hard job but someone has to do it. Feel my pain.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
If true. I don't even understand how that is legal.

Fraterno American lives matter ! ;^)

I got a little more information on Thrasher's suspension. It's more extensive than I originally understood. It appears that fraternities are barred from holding chapter, initiating pledges and participating as a fraternity in any school function (which pretty much wipes out Homecoming parade). I presume that this absolute authority is granted by the contract/charter between FSU and the administration. But you may have something about overreach.

Reactions: RTM58
Yep and to make even dumber decisions there are all kinds of "finsta" and other fake accounts that teenagers post on where I couldn't even write their user name on this page; let alone what they actually post.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58 and goldmom
Someone has to make an executive decision on when drunken bikini pictures cross the line from “innocent good fun” to “unacceptable sleaziness.” I graciously agreed to undertake that analysis for my organization. It is a hard job but someone has to do it. Feel my pain.

I commend you sir, while also restraining myself from pointing out the irony posed by your sig name -

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I commend you sir, while also restraining myself from pointing out the irony posed by your sig name -

So last week I am in meetings in DC with multiple partners and technology companies who work with us on certain projects. The age group is 25-60 and one of the engineers who was tasked with some work is named John Holmes. He wasn't at the meeting, but his boss was and his boss is 28 and had no idea why half us were trying not to fall on the floor laughing. We told him to google it; but not on his work computer. It lead to a number of military sayings being much funnier than they normally are. Like "I guess John Holmes has the long pole on that tent"

I got a little more information on Thrasher's suspension. It's more extensive than I originally understood. It appears that fraternities are barred from holding chapter, initiating pledges and participating as a fraternity in any school function (which pretty much wipes out Homecoming parade). I presume that this absolute authority is granted by the contract/charter between FSU and the administration. But you may have something about overreach.

Copying what Barron did at Penn State......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT