ADVERTISEMENT

Millennials

So, you would think that someone who worked their tale off would be rewarded? Exact opposite happened, got a minimal raise and the bosses decided to change the way we did things, where they got to keep more money.
Probably got docked for poor spelling. Or for telling tall tails.

Reactions: dmm5157 and GE Nole
Learned a lot from a bad situation. I probably need to take a closer look at what I post from the iPhone

We use some guys who are partners in a couple of the biggest firms. They make a ton but their lives suck. I wouldn't want to be on call like they are, but when you charge 7-800/hr or more that's the expectation. I notice that many are on second or third marriages and rarely see their kids.

One of the partners I formerly worked with at BigLaw was one of the good parents. He read his kids a bedtime story every night at 9:30 ... by speakerphone from the office. Another used to like when he traveled. We went on an overseas trip. He worked 20 hour days while we were there and found it a relief that he wasn't being distracted from his work by his family. I looked at a bunch of the "successful" older people I worked with and they were all miserable. Life is too short for that. Maybe Millennials can find a good balance.

The millenials I know are entitled little piss ants.

They don't know the value of a dollar and believe they have the world figured out.

Those little effers are lucky the barley missed the housing bubble.

I hate them and want to be them all at the same time!

My lord....I think the "almost fired" thing had me a little upset when I wrote this!?!?!

and the Woodford ;)

One of the partners I formerly worked with at BigLaw was one of the good parents. He read his kids a bedtime story every night at 9:30 ... by speakerphone from the office. Another used to like when he traveled. We went on an overseas trip. He worked 20 hour days while we were there and found it a relief that he wasn't being distracted from his work by his family. I looked at a bunch of the "successful" older people I worked with and they were all miserable. Life is too short for that. Maybe Millennials can find a good balance.
Yep, have seen these play out dozens of times with partners and senior managers at my old consulting firm.

Partners, traveling 80+% of the time, who never made it to a kids soccer game, and when I'd ask at happy hour, "don't you miss your family or doing stuff with your son/daughter" they'd smirk and act like it was a relief that they got to be away from their spouse's nagging and kid's crying and enjoying getting drunk with a bunch of 25 year old kids. 20 mins later you'd see them make a pass at one of said kids. This was literally a nightly cycle.

Meanwhile all of us youngsters looked at these old fools and thought to ourselves "I never want to be like that", drunk, pathetic, an absentee parent... all in the name of making a few more bucks, but in actuality just suffering from Peter Pan syndrome. I had real respect for the Exec Directors I worked with that passed up partner in order to get a more balanced lifestyle and travel much less. There weren't many ED's but they IMO made the right choice. The incremental raise isn't really worth missing out on your kids life. Older partners thought the EDs couldn't cut it, but the rest of us thought the EDs were the only ones who 'got it'.

Reactions: GE Nole
I don't think you can generalize any group; but I do notice a number of things with millennial's.

-They seem to be rude or just not have manners; often thinking they can say or do what they want with no consequences. I think some of this comes from having so much interaction on facebook, twitter, etc. where they can spout off heartless rude things and no one punches them in the face. I also think that part of this comes from the zero tolerance rules about fighting in school. I am 50 and if at 25 or in HS I spouted off or acted like a punk someone would have said something or worse.
-Many seem entitled, take college tuition for example so many of them are in debt up the zing zang and expect someone to pay it off or for the debt to go away. Never mind that they decided to take the money and in many cases get a degree that is completely useless in society.
-They seem ill informed or lack the desire to actually look at the reality of things. Several here have mentioned how they are screwed with the debt previous generations are leaving them. However who have millennials voted for? Generally it is people who promise all kinds of free stuff and they fail to look at that and say well who will pay for that.
There are lots of other things I see in this group and even those younger than them. Overall I think the majority of these generations are just soft. This statistic should be eye opening; but less than 20% of military age eligible people in this country are capable of actually serving. Issues range from fitness, health, debt, criminal record, having to many kids at a young age etc.

-On the flip side I do see a number of millennials that are willing to step out of the box and take chances previous generations never would have. Starting a business based on something they really like, willingness to forgo the so called "American Dream" and do things like travel.
-Many do seem to be more cause oriented, although I often think they don't have the full breadth of the situation understood when they get involved in certain causes.
- Another thing I have to admire is how so many volunteered for military service in the height of a war; fully knowing that combat was likely in their future. Many have also started small veteran help groups all just to assist with issues their generation are having.

Reactions: F4Gary
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT