ADVERTISEMENT

What I Don’t Get About Vaccine

What about the doctors who don’t believe the vaccine is right for those with NIL, those under 30, etc.?
Let’s name streets after them and pass out their commemorative bobble heads on Independence Day, mkay?

The part that is bad is that you changed conditions if employment. Did you require vaccines when you hired them? Was there any terms of employment that in the future you could require them to accept a medical procedure in order to retain employment? What type of business is this that you would force employees to undergo a medical procedure with no long term testing in order to retain employment?
Most non-Union employments are at-will with no employment contract. Can be fired, generally, for any reason (obvious, codified exceptions) or no reason at all. Putting new conditions on continued employment is generally acceptable. I don’t agree with what he did or his rationale for doing so, but I do think it was permissible under almost every state’s law at that time.

As long as you didn't take government COVID-19 funding to keep your business going, I don't care how you run your affairs. Start dipping into the public dole to stay afloat, then I think it's fair for other people to chime in on you are doing. At that point, the ability to "make (your) own decisions" should not be unfettered.
Cool logic there. Clearly taking Covid impact funds of any kind comes with that forfeiture of rights you’ve identified. And based on that same premise, you’re cool now with vaccine mandates for anybody who cashed Covid impact stimulus checks, since “Start dipping into the public dole to stay afloat, then I think it's fair for other people to chime in on you are doing. At that point, the ability to "make (your) own decisions" should not be unfettered.

Cool logic there. Clearly taking Covid impact funds of any kind comes with that forfeiture of rights you’ve identified. And based on that same premise, you’re cool now with vaccine mandates for anybody who cashed Covid impact stimulus checks, since “Start dipping into the public dole to stay afloat, then I think it's fair for other people to chime in on you are doing. At that point, the ability to "make (your) own decisions" should not be unfettered.
I make way too much money to get "stimulus funds" -- how about you? -- but it is my understanding that the government indiscriminately sprayed that money to every "eligible person" who showed up on IRS records.....irrespective of whether the recipients wanted or needed the money. In fact, checks were blindly issued to plenty of dead people. If you send a check to someone, there's a really good chance it will be cashed (even if it is not "needed" by the recipient).

That's a good bit different from the business owner who formally and consciously applied for a government handout, filling out reams of forms, etc. Hell, even clowns like John Morgan applied for (and received) the handout.

Good try, Chief....

Reactions: noletaire
Nah @Dhersh is right and i respect that opinion.

What i do frown upon though is that when it was first mentioned it came across as he (not dhersh) was happy to have fired the employees. i believe that it was since clarified that they were valued employees and he was sorry to see them go.
There is no helping some people 😌

I'm done telling people why it's ok under the US Constitution for people to make decisions for their own businesses. I'm done telling people that they are idiots who don't know what they are talking about for claiming otherwise. That guy is being an ass for who knows why. I'm not dealing with him.

Reactions: GbrNole
I make way too much money to get "stimulus funds" -- how about you? -- but it is my understanding that the government indiscriminately sprayed that money to every "eligible person" who showed up on IRS records.....irrespective of whether the recipients wanted or needed the money. In fact, checks were blindly issued to plenty of dead people. If you send a check to someone, there's a really good chance it will be cashed (even if it is not "needed" by the recipient).

That's a good bit different from the business owner who formally and consciously applied for a government handout, filling out reams of forms, etc. Hell, even clowns like John Morgan applied for (and received) the handout.

Good try, Chief....
Ahhh, so it wasn’t actually “start dipping into the public dole” that triggers forfeiture of rights as you first pontificated, but it’s the filling out reams of forms. You should definitely publish your FWTS Rules for Choice Forfeiture so we can avoid any missteps. Thanks.

Ahhh, so it wasn’t actually “start dipping into the public dole” that triggers forfeiture of rights as you first pontificated, but it’s the filling out reams of forms. You should definitely publish your FWTS Rules for Choice Forfeiture so we can avoid any missteps. Thanks.
If you started or graduated from FSU in 1961, that would mean you must be pushing 80. If so, I'll assume you may be bored, lonely and/or always looking for arguments. Nevertheless, Merry Christmas....won't indulge you today.

Reactions: noletaire
If you started or graduated from FSU in 1961, that would mean you must be pushing 80. If so, I'll assume you may be bored, lonely and/or always looking for arguments. Nevertheless, Merry Christmas....won't indulge you today.
It could also mean born a Nole, just in case you’re keeping a scrapbook.

Most non-Union employments are at-will with no employment contract. Can be fired, generally, for any reason (obvious, codified exceptions) or no reason at all. Putting new conditions on continued employment is generally acceptable. I don’t agree with what he did or his rationale for doing so, but I do think it was permissible under almost every state’s law at that time.
It was legal I’m sure but not fair. He can’t blame them for not complying when he implemented new and invasive terms for employment. It might make him feel better to pass the blame but it’s all on him, not the employees that he blindsided.

Reactions: SteveT1
There is no helping some people 😌

I'm done telling people why it's ok under the US Constitution for people to make decisions for their own businesses. I'm done telling people that they are idiots who don't know what they are talking about for claiming otherwise. That guy is being an ass for who knows why. I'm not dealing with him.
The mandates are not about businesses making their own decisions. They are forcing it on businesses.

Reactions: SteveT1
Only to the tinfoil hat crew is clearly and accurately labeling a denominator and adding proper context to others’ misleading commentary considered “deception”.

And this is one big reason why Covid rages on longer and more destructively than it would have if following smart public health protocols weren’t mocked by the freedom-fighting peanut gallery.
Good luck to us all.
So long as you are vaccinated and triple masked and keeping far away from others then those freedom-fighters are no concern of yours. In other words their choice doesn’t impact you and is none of your business. Stop trying to rule others and take care of your own business.

The mandates are not about businesses making their own decisions. They are forcing it on businesses.
Government issued mandates have nothing to do with this discussion.

Are you a capitalist? Or do you believe in collective bargaining and unions? Do you believe in right to work or not? Are you a believer in freedom of choice? Or do you believe in mandates? Do you think business owners have the right to run their business or should the government dictate what they do? Lets set the ground rules and then I'll have this discussion with you.
I’m a capitalist who believes government should stay “mostly” out of private business. Look at how the government runs most of their businesses. They fail at it terribly. Why should they mandate anything that’s private?
The firing of good employees who were not hired with the understanding that mandates could change the conditions of their employment should find a good attorney.
The employer that believes the employees did this to themselves is a fool and should work at ways to accommodate these employees until they decide to be vaccinated or acquire enough immunity to not be a risk. Soon the therapeutics will be effective enough to eliminate the need for a covid vaccine.
Believe me I’m not a preacher and believe if a woman wants an abortion and only if it’s early enough she has the right to one but I love the left who will die to protect the abortion rights (it’s my body they scream) but they want to mandate what others do to their bodies. What f——— hypocrites!!

Reactions: flmom777
So long as you are vaccinated and triple masked and keeping far away from others then those freedom-fighters are no concern of yours. In other words their choice doesn’t impact you and is none of your business. Stop trying to rule others and take care of your own business.
It’s unfortunate during a pandemic, but because we are all connected and interdependent in minimizing Covid spread and preserving limited health care resources, the decision of so many of my fellow Americans NOT to take this pandemic seriously enough and NOT to practice adequate hygiene, distancing, masking and vaccination participation has and will continue to negatively impact all of us.

It’s convenient but absolutely false to brush aside anyone’s poor choices during a public health crisis as having no impact on others. It’s proveably untrue.
Talk to hospital administrators and morgue operators around the world to learn how false that assumption really is.

Happy Holidays.

It’s convenient but absolutely false to brush aside anyone’s poor choices during a public health crisis as having no impact on others. It’s proveably untrue.
Talk to hospital administrators and morgue operators around the world to learn how false that assumption really is.

Happy Holidays.
Certain users have certain prejudices that don't make them worth your time.

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate during a pandemic, but because we are all connected and interdependent in minimizing Covid spread and preserving limited health care resources, the decision of so many of my fellow Americans NOT to take this pandemic seriously enough and NOT to practice adequate hygiene, distancing, masking and vaccination participation has and will continue to negatively impact all of us.

Happy Holidays.

My choice to not take the vaccine has absolutely no impact on you. Your choice to want to force even people with high natural immunity to take the vaccine has an impact on them. I really do detest bullies.

Reactions: rentalgy
My choice to not take the vaccine has absolutely no impact on you. Your choice to want to force even people with high natural immunity to take the vaccine has an impact on them. I really do detest bullies.
Every bit of real world data and logic completely refutes your “no impact on you” take. And there is nothing whatsoever about paying attention to facts and honoring reality that makes those who do so “bullies”.

As just one example: We know from every credible study of Covid hospitalization and death statistics around the country that unvaccinated hospitalization and death rates have been running more than 5x greater than for those who are fully vaccinated.

Putting aside the very real devastation this has had and continues to have on families, communities, exhausted doctors, nurses, morticians, health care facilities, etc., it has also impacted all of us as tax-payers and insurance purchasers, and will do so for years to come as we all pay those mounting costs.

Here’s one recent analysis estimating over $13Billion in preventable hospitalization costs from June 2021 through Nov 2021 alone, due to Unvaccinated Covid patients (factoring in the significantly lower probability for hospitalization if fully vaccinated)… and this $13B is funded by insurance companies (which ends up increasing all our insurance costs) as well as by taxpayer funded public insurance.

Please explain exactly how the much higher probability of Covid hospitalization and death among the unvaccinated miraculously has zero impact on the vaccinated?

I’m a capitalist who believes government should stay “mostly” out of private business. Look at how the government runs most of their businesses. They fail at it terribly. Why should they mandate anything that’s private?
The firing of good employees who were not hired with the understanding that mandates could change the conditions of their employment should find a good attorney.
The employer that believes the employees did this to themselves is a fool and should work at ways to accommodate these employees until they decide to be vaccinated or acquire enough immunity to not be a risk. Soon the therapeutics will be effective enough to eliminate the need for a covid vaccine.
Believe me I’m not a preacher and believe if a woman wants an abortion and only if it’s early enough she has the right to one but I love the left who will die to protect the abortion rights (it’s my body they scream) but they want to mandate what others do to their bodies. What f——— hypocrites!!

You guys are rich. We gave folks 90 days to either get a medical excuse from a real live M.D. or get vaccinated. Some of you may be stunned to know that they couldn't find a doctor to get them off the hook, although one did try to falsify the Dr.'s permission. Our practice involves going into our clients' homes. Our clients, every single one of them, are elderly and dying of a cancer that could have been prevented. My first obligation is to them. The loss of those three employees was, indeed, a loss for the business. But I am not putting our people at any more risk than I had to. I managed to keep nearly 60 people employed through the pandemic at a time where courts were shut down and keeping the lights on was hard. But I care about my people. They do amazing work for people who desperately need it at the absolutely worst time of their lives.

These folks had lots of lead time, no one was blindsided, they made a choice.

I also think you guys promoting therapeutics are hysterical. "I don't want to put something in my body that is gone within day, but hell yeah, give me that EUA pill" after I get infected.

Every bit of real world data and logic completely refutes your “no impact on you” take. And there is nothing whatsoever about paying attention to facts and honoring reality that makes those who do so “bullies”.

As just one example: We know from every credible study of Covid hospitalization and death statistics around the country that unvaccinated hospitalization and death rates have been running more than 5x greater than for those who are fully vaccinated.

Putting aside the very real devastation this has had and continues to have on families, communities, exhausted doctors, nurses, morticians, health care facilities, etc., it has also impacted all of us as tax-payers and insurance purchasers, and will do so for years to come as we all pay those mounting costs.

Here’s one recent analysis estimating over $13Billion in preventable hospitalization costs from June 2021 through Nov 2021 alone, due to Unvaccinated Covid patients (factoring in the significantly lower probability for hospitalization if fully vaccinated)… and this $13B is funded by insurance companies (which ends up increasing all our insurance costs) as well as by taxpayer funded public insurance.

Please explain exactly how the much higher probability of Covid hospitalization and death among the unvaccinated miraculously has zero impact on the vaccinated?

You ignored the important part of my statement, that about requiring those with natural immunity to be vaccinated, even though their immunity is shown to be higher than vaccinated people. Instead you jumped to another tangent. Sorry. I will not be forced into a vaccine. The last vaccination I have received was over twenty years ago when I got a tetanus shot after a nasty cut. I’ve never gotten a flu shot. I won’t get one in the future. I might get a shingles vaccine. That’s the extent of it.

You ignored the important part of my statement, that about requiring those with natural immunity to be vaccinated, even though their immunity is shown to be higher than vaccinated people. Instead you jumped to another tangent. Sorry. I will not be forced into a vaccine. The last vaccination I have received was over twenty years ago when I got a tetanus shot after a nasty cut. I’ve never gotten a flu shot. I won’t get one in the future. I might get a shingles vaccine. That’s the extent of it.
You do you.

I didn’t respond to your comment that “Your choice to want to force even people with high natural immunity to take the vaccine has an impact on them.” because nowhere have I indicated it’s my choice to force vaccines on anyone. I do choose what to respond to or not, and there’s certainly no need to respond to you misattributing to me something I never said.

And yes, your statement that “My choice to not take the vaccine has absolutely no impact on you.” remains 100% false and selfishly detached from the significant reality that our individual choices related to public health do indeed impact others.

I gave one very clear example regarding the high $ costs of preventable hospitalizations. And of course you dismiss that as a “tangent” (spoiler - it’s not) since it’s inconvenient to acknowledge the collateral damage of your choices.

Take care.

You guys are rich. We gave folks 90 days to either get a medical excuse from a real live M.D. or get vaccinated. Some of you may be stunned to know that they couldn't find a doctor to get them off the hook, although one did try to falsify the Dr.'s permission. Our practice involves going into our clients' homes. Our clients, every single one of them, are elderly and dying of a cancer that could have been prevented. My first obligation is to them. The loss of those three employees was, indeed, a loss for the business. But I am not putting our people at any more risk than I had to. I managed to keep nearly 60 people employed through the pandemic at a time where courts were shut down and keeping the lights on was hard. But I care about my people. They do amazing work for people who desperately need it at the absolutely worst time of their lives.

These folks had lots of lead time, no one was blindsided, they made a choice.

I also think you guys promoting therapeutics are hysterical. "I don't want to put something in my body that is gone within day, but hell yeah, give me that EUA pill" after I get infected.
So you only accepted a medical exemption but not a religious exemption? That alone shows your values.

Or how about sharing with us the cost of those who are obese or those who smoke. Cherry picking is so easy you know. Again, my choice doesn’t affect those that chose to be vaccinated. If I get covid and die then that was my choice. We all die sometime and we all go to funeral homes and morgues.

Or how about sharing with us the cost of those who are obese or those who smoke. Cherry picking is so easy you know. Again, my choice doesn’t affect those that chose to be vaccinated. If I get covid and die then that was my choice. We all die sometime and we all go to funeral homes and morgues.
Is this a thread about some new vaccine for obesity or smoking? Why deflect to off-topic irrelevancy? Your off-topic what-aboutism is like saying it’s fine for me to litter since there are all kinds of other forms of pollution too.
Nonsensical.

And I’ve already clearly addressed how your choice to not get vaxxed (which you’ve shared is driven by resentment and stubbornness), along with others’ failure to vax, does indeed result in significant costs for all of us. Your choice to ignore those costs doesn’t magically make them any less real.

Happy New Year.

Your US - UK comparison here is nonsensical and meaningless, and also comical in its transparently contrived reach to make the countries appear artificially more equal.
You define disingenuous here.
Why would any rational person include in the denominator those people who aren’t even eligible for a shot?
Lame.
Probably best for you to cut your losses and bow out here. You’ve gotten way too far out over your skis
Because those not eligible can still get and spread Covid?

You missed the point about a pandemic, where a virus has spread that is creating not only death and hospitalizations but business closings, workers not able to work while they are sick, etc. Abortions are personal decisions that only tangentially effect others. Now, I agree with folks that mandates should only have limited use, but it seems to me that this might be one of them. Hopefully, Omicron only has a brief trip through society because of the amount of folks that have been vacccinated/boostered, but it is already creating havoc to many businesses large and small.

Because those not eligible can still get and spread Covid?
Yes, the entire population is of interest for all kinds of metrics, but context is key… the particular post you pulled that excerpt from was one in which I was debating another poster specifically about his false contention that UK Covid stats “mirror” US stats (they do not) and his failure to recognize that I had already defined the denominator for my comparisons as vaccine-eligible citizens (since I was discussing what % of eligible citizens in US vs UK had gotten vaxxed)

You missed the point about a pandemic, where a virus has spread that is creating not only death and hospitalizations but business closings, workers not able to work while they are sick, etc. Abortions are personal decisions that only tangentially effect others. Now, I agree with folks that mandates should only have limited use, but it seems to me that this might be one of them. Hopefully, Omicron only has a brief trip through society because of the amount of folks that have been vacccinated/boostered, but it is already creating havoc to many businesses large and small.
Ok you sit there with your mask on and shut the country down and wait for your government bailout. I prefer to keep businesses open and find ways to navigate through this. That’s the point you missed

Ok you sit there with your mask on and shut the country down and wait for your government bailout. I prefer to keep businesses open and find ways to navigate through this. That’s the point you missed
Hmmm, strange, I haven’t seen fsufool suggest or advocate for that extreme shutdown/hide in bunker stance at all.
Why waste time arguing over a stance he never took?

Please explain why a person that already had covid should get vaccinated. The studies already showed they had higher immunity than vaccinated people.
People that are vaccinated and get it have the most immunity.

You have no idea who I am or what I think. I have been very critical of shelter in place............mask mandates........government overreach. Reality is that vaccinations work and are really the only thing that works well in reducing infections, hospitalization and deaths as well as keeps the country working. Businesses are closing down now because they can't keep enough workers working as they get sick. So, your way is actually closing/reducing business.

I wonder what the poster who fired his employees thinks now that everybody will get covid regardless of vaccination status. Omicron is spreading like wildfire. I know at least eight people including family members who currently have it or who just had it all vaxed.

Fortunately the consequences of omicron are not bad no more than a mild to mid cold / flu

Unintended consequences.

I see it is a challenge to have civil discussion here. I’ve clearly explained that I’m not anti vaccine and have been vaccinated. I’m simply asking for information on the benefit of my vaccination. I’m clear on it helping me if I get sick but I honestly didn’t think it helped to prevent me from getting sick (which IF true made me not understand the logic of mandates). I am asking for the science/stats to show it does help me. I don’t have a hidden agenda or motivation for asking other than I’d truly like to know.
I often look some place other than a Seminole message board for info on life-and-death issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT