ADVERTISEMENT

What is the REAL divorce and infedelity rate in the United States today?

This is a very difficult question to answer. I've read sociologists say that it's impossible to prove divorce rates because it's a prediction. The often quoted "50% of marriages end in divorce" may or may not be true.

Here's why it's difficult to know for sure:

-There are less people married in America than ever before. This means the divorce rate is down but the marriage rate is down as well.

-Repeat marriages add to the divorce rate but those are still marriages. Should they not count?

-People that get married at 18 have a higher divorce rate than people that get married at 30.

The infidelity rate is also interesting and also complex because it's not legal record, like divorces are. Studies have shown that 70% of marriages have infidelity by either the husband or wife. This seems high to me.

My estimate is that 75% of marriages will either have infidelity or end in divorce.

Is this too high? Too low?

I will leave it to you, the good people of the LR, to discuss and analyze.

I don't know if it's amusing or embarrassing that you think the divorce rate can decrease simply if the marriage rate decreases.

I don't know if it's amusing or embarrassing that you think the divorce rate can decrease simply if the marriage rate decreases.

Traditionally they judged the divorce rate and the marriage rate and that's how they got the estimated percentage.

For example, if 7.2 people per 1,000 were getting married in a year and 3.6 per 1,000 were getting divorced, that would be a 50% divorce rate according to their calculations.

If you know the real divorce rate and have a way of proving it, you'd be contributing to this thread. The floor is yours, Professor.

#4 is a very tough thing to find.

0/2 and really have no intention of a third attempt. #1 was married too young, #2 was a psycho that (truly) has a couple different personalities going on.

I think the fact that more folks are fine with "We don't need to be married to be together forever" means lowering divorce numbers. Infidelity rates will never be 100% accurate because people, inherently, are shady.

Daaamn brah. You still paying alimony?

Tomorrowland-2014-pacotes-amo-balada-viagens.png

rutger_20140720_2063.jpg

LOL. It is very hard to get spousal maintenance--absent an unusual condition like the wife is physically or mentally impaired-- in Texas.

17422067b4df754d505c922299ad9660.jpg

Traditionally they judged the divorce rate and the marriage rate and that's how they got the estimated percentage.

For example, if 7.2 people per 1,000 were getting married in a year and 3.6 per 1,000 were getting divorced, that would be a 50% divorce rate according to their calculations.

If you know the real divorce rate and have a way of proving it, you'd be contributing to this thread. The floor is yours, Professor.

Young one, you said the marriage rate was lower, ergo the divorce rate must be as well ... if you can't see me error in the words used and the conclusion made, you probably should seek out a professor.

Young one, you said the marriage rate was lower, ergo the divorce rate must be as well ... if you can't see me error in the words used and the conclusion made, you probably should seek out a professor.

You're the Professor. Please enlighten us on the divorce rate.

Daaamn brah. You still paying alimony?

No spousal support (as it's termed in Texas) here brofessor. No kids involved in either instance. Did both pro se, quick and easy.

Speaking of. It's actually disturbingly easy to get divorced in these parts if there are no kids involved and it isn't contentious. Pay a fee ($290), wait 60 days, prove up to the Judge, get the decree recorded, then you're done.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Agreed. Via no fault divorce, they file against men and win cash and prizes and possibly lifetime alimony for their betrayal. I wonder what the divorce filing rate for women would be if they didn't win cash and prizes.

This. The ability to "profit" from failed marriage certainly does nothing to discourage divorce. When a "soft landing" is assured, some people select that option instead of trying to work through the problems. The proliferation of sleazy lawyers -- who now outnumber roaches -- does not help. Divorce lawyers push divorces, just like surgeons push surgery and mechanics push car repairs.....rarely does a divorce lawyer say to a client "I don't think this is a good idea for you." Sad but true.

With women, it's a matter of emotion....and over a twenty year window emotions will tend to get the best of them at some point.

Warchant is one of the best things you can do to perpetuate your marriage. The more time you spend here, the less time you can fight with your spouse. And if your spouse is doing something you would disapprove of, you won't even know about it. Ignorance is bliss. Spend more time here and live happily ever-after.

0/1 and I'm in no fricking hurry to get with someone else. I'm right on board with everyone that has talked about women's fickle needs for emotional support. Fricking ridiculous and changes on a daily basis. Meanwhile, the husband is supposed to read her mind and know exactly what she needs when she needs it. And wive's girlfriends are the worst. New rule if I ever have a girlfriend again is you don't talk about our relationship with your girlfriends. The first thing the girlfriends always say "You deserve the best you can do better". Which is total and complete BS. My ex was supported through every turn in her life which included her making crappy decisions for our family at every turn. From what I have picked up she is with some fat, old, bald and M-Fer. Have fun with that sweety. Hope the grass is greener. Sorry..... rant over. Women piss me off.

Reactions: nole71911
0/1 and I'm in no fricking hurry to get with someone else. I'm right on board with everyone that has talked about women's fickle needs for emotional support. Fricking ridiculous and changes on a daily basis. Meanwhile, the husband is supposed to read her mind and know exactly what she needs when she needs it. And wive's girlfriends are the worst. New rule if I ever have a girlfriend again is you don't talk about our relationship with your girlfriends. The first thing the girlfriends always say "You deserve the best you can do better". Which is total and complete BS. My ex was supported through every turn in her life which included her making crappy decisions for our family at every turn. From what I have picked up she is with some fat, old, bald and M-Fer. Have fun with that sweety. Hope the grass is greener. Sorry..... rant over. Women piss me off.

Logic and Pragmatism seem to evade some more than others! It is so interesting to hear men from all different walks of life effectively say the same ish.

You guys hang out w the wrong women. Once I jettisoned wife number 1. I proceeded in the following manner.

- no complaining or yelling at me at any point for any reason in dating process. Dating is fun. It's hanging out. If you have guy friends, do any of them whine or bitch or criticize you? No. You wouldn't hang out w them if they did. There shouldn't be a thing serious enough to merit said bitching in a dating phase.

- no jealousy. I have women friends. Don't complain about it.

- like my friends

- like my family.

- nice to her parents.

- nice to wait staff and others

- not religious.

- in a good mood most of the time.

- flexible and open to new experiences.

- exercises, eats well, values fitness, in good physical shape.

- works hard

- interested in world.

Obviously, in a marriage you are going to have more serious things to deal with. So you want someone even keeled and able to argue rationally. I.e. No name calling. Handles specific issue, problem focused. Doesn't bring up old irrelevant crap. Doesn't focus on blame. Able to move on.

In my opinion whthout theses qualifies you aren't going to have a good time once real stress happens.

I gave up on some very pretty women with these criteria. But I think it worked out well

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT